Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #16

little kid hurled a 1/2 eaten chili dog outta a station wagon, was about 2 car lengths behind, going over that tall bridge in Lafayette, La. in the early 80's. My ElectraGlides shield took the biggest hit, but my face caught some chili....
Almost hit 2 birds, etc....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #17

Great thread! :)

Have been hit by some of the same stuff. Thanking God, I haven't been hit by some of the other stuff!

Had a friend whose nickname was Hatchet... Its origin is fitting for this thread!
Suffice to say, a hatchet that sticks in a biker's windshield become wall decor!

Ride safe!
Smokier

Old 06-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Great thread! :)

Have been hit by some of the same stuff. Thanking God, I haven't been hit by some of the other stuff!

Had a friend whose nickname was Hatchet... Its origin is fitting for this thread!
Suffice to say, a hatchet that sticks in a biker's windshield become wall decor!

Ride safe!
Smokier
And the story behind this?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #19

Quote:

YUP, Got to hear more. cough it up !!

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 06-18-2018, 11:46 PM   #20

A big old Hen that flew off the side of the hill to my right, I saw that thing out of the corner of my eye and got on the brakes hard and it still hit me right about the headlight , I thought I had wrecked but some how got stopped feathers , chicken crap, blood was every where , I wasn't two miles from home. I just turned it around and came home. Bad start to the day.

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2018, 01:35 AM   #21

nailed between the eyes by a june-bug at 80 mph, it took a while to get my sh*t back together

Old 06-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #22

Yellow jacket hit the side of my face & got stuck between the helmet foam & me. I was doing about 70 & the little devil bit me 5-6 times on the temple before I could get stopped & get my helmet off. He flew away & I looked like somebody punched my lights out!

Rode all my life w/o a windshield, hardcore ya know & wouldn't have a candyazz shield. Untill about 10 years ago when a 35 gal rubbermaid trashcan bounced off a truck in front of me at about 60-65mph. It went straight up in the air & the split second it hit the road I hit & ran over it. Nothing I could do, no time to swerve, nothing! No harm done except it scared the crap out of me! Had it been a split second sooner it would have hit me & probably killed me. Thought about it all the way home & walked in the door & ordered a shield. Wish I'd got that candyazz shield 30 yrs ago! Wouldn't be without it now! Danm sure don't miss bee stings & dining on bugs!

VBA #01922

Old 06-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Besides the regular I was on the highway fairly heavy traffic -helmet on-visor down-shield up- some sort of chemical fine mist spray got under my helmet into my eyes.

Eyes started to water so much I had to pull over and flush them.

I believe there is a story of a fellow Vulcan rider whom had a Deer jump over him using his helmet with one hoof - it was documented by fellow riders.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #24

Thumbs Up How Hatchet got his name...

Greeitngs,

I was not on the ride, and don't even know his given name, but the story goes...

Hatchett was leading a small group on some back roads (Here in Iowa), they fell in behind a pickup truck with a camper mounted in the bed. Hatchett eases up on the pickup truck to see if it is clear to pass. About that time they go over a bump. He sees something drop of the back of the truck and bounce. THWACK, a hatchett, upside down, sticks into his scoot's windshield. It's a little to the right of center and above the "U" of the handle bars, most of the sharp edge of the blade is through. If not for the shield, he woulda had a chest pains for sure.
So, as he pulls over (to clean his shorts?), the hatchet falls out. The pickup is gone of course and everyone else pulls over to inspect; like WTF!?!?! The 2nd rider (behind & right of course), thought it went through the shield and got Hatchet because of the the way he "jumped."

He (Hatchet) later replaced the shield of course, but the original shield with hatchet inserted were mounted in his man-cave, next to other dead and stuffed things. Great conversation starter...

Last edited by smokier; 06-19-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #25

Hit by stuff while riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
Had a bee get stuck between my helmet

I was on the highway and had a wasp go up my t-shirt sleeve, down my shirt in the back and right into my ass crack. He was stinging the crap out of my ass crack!! I pulled over quick on the highway and pulled my pants down as I was trying to get it to stop stinging me and out of my ass! I can only imagine what the people driving by thought as they saw me standing there with my pants around my ankles in my boxer-briefs manically reaching around my back into my underwear and swatting my ass while screaming every curse word under the sun!!! LOL!

Sorry man, but THAT certainly left a mental image!!

Old 06-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #26

I've been hit twice by a bird, had a wasp go up my pants leg and sting me, been hit in the throat by a large beetle, but the worst was ridding thru a swarm of honey bees. I got stopped and hopped off the bike and started yanking my cloths off right on the side of the road, I only got stung 32 times.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 06-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #27

I was riding to work one morning and as I dropped off the hill into town, a bird committed suicide and slammed into the space between the windshield and headlight. Yep , that bird zinged in there like it was on a mission. Of course feathers and "stuff" went everywhere. I rolled into work took a picture of the bird's final (he thought) resting place and pulled his little body out and dumped it. Then I went inside to work and found out later I missed a spot or two on my uniform while in court.
Years and years ago as a kid riding my bike, I was foolish and rode without a helmet, because the law had been repealed. One day I was hit in the mouth by a large grasshopper..... it didn't sting me and it was either swallow it or choke on it, so down the pipe it went. After that I NEVER rode without a helmet and face shield.

Last edited by Dean; 06-19-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #28

I had a very near miss on a large turkey that flew across the road in front of my face on Natchez Trace Parkway. I could have leaned forward and kissed her.

I've been caught in thunderstorms with hail on 3 different occasions. Hail stones leave bruises even if they don't leave dents.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #29
Advanced Member

A car in front of me ran over a diamond back rattle snake, throwing it in the air and it hit my engine guard. The tail whipped my leg and the head hit under the engine. Was very thankful it wasn't the other way around. He fell off the bike while I was sliding to a stop. He was fat booger. And no, he was well enough to crawl off the roadway.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

Sorry man, but THAT certainly left a mental image!!
Lol! Glad I’m here to help!! I’m sure there are still several people that saw me that talk about it.