Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #1

What strange items have you been pelted by while riding

on a quick trip down to SoCal last weekend, cruising along about 75-80 down the freeway, and sure as hell the little sting of a bug committing suicide by flying into my arm. a couple mins later, seems to be stinging worse. hop off the freeway at the next exit.

there it was still stuck in my arm, the stinger of a bee, right at the bend of the elbow.

what are the odds? have a full windshield, lowers. basically only thing exposed to the wind is arms. and that little bee decided at speed to make that his spot to fly into butt first.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #2

Ive been stung by bees a few times over the years, one of the more unique things was having a cigarette butt hit me in the face, and a guy dumped his beer and it soaked me.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I got a bee up the sleeve of my shirt while driving the car with my arm on the door.
Never had a reaction to a sting like that before. My arm went red about 8 inches long and about 4 inches wide. It hurt like crazy for about 2 hours and was red all the following day.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #4

Hit with one of Moses 10 Plagues

002.jpg

2009 On the way to Sturgis with the little woman on separate bikes. A swarm of these critters. Still have stains on my chaps from them. Them suckers hurt. Left late in the day due to rain, riding at night from Minneapolis to Mitchell, SD. Had to make the hotel reservation or "No place at the Inn" for anyone during bike week. No children were conceived that night!

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 06-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Ive been stung by bees a few times over the years, one of the more unique things was having a cigarette butt hit me in the face, and a guy dumped his beer and it soaked me.
i had my own cigarette butt hit me a few times.

the wind vortex, sucks it back to the windshield and then shoots it past me sometimes. i always make sure it is out completely for sure.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #6

I was stung by wasps , bees and hit in the face by every bug in my area . Once I was hit right above the eye brow by a dragon fly so I pulled over to wash the guts out of my eye when a vehicle pulled over . The couple came running over and the wife said she was an EMT . I giggled about it all the way home . I told her it happens all the time . I have recently started wearing a Modular helmet on long trips .

The worst was a sparrow that hit me in the shin . Wow , I pulled over and limped around for a bit . Never thought it could hurt that much . What a bruise !

Last week I took a rock to the shoulder from a passing Semi . Still have a bit of a bruise from that . Not as bad as the rock to the knuckle though .

Still waiting for a meteor to come my way !!

Old 06-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #7

Not all that strange, but Arkansas/Oklahoma grasshoppers can sure leave a huge gooey green splat on a face mask!

Old 06-18-2018, 02:19 AM   #8

Had a bee get stuck between my helmet strap and my mutton chop, stung me in the cheek.

I got hit with a huge piece of tractor trailer tire that flew off of one that I was riding next to me as I was passing him on the highway. Luckily I was wearing my full face, almost wore my half helmet but it was a little too cold that day, switched them last minute. Hit the shield gouging it and left a skid mark across where my right eye is and up the helmet. Had to ride with the shield up the rest of the way home and replace the shield after that, it was pretty FUBAR.

Had another piece of tractor trailer tire hit me in the shin out on the highway.

I was on the highway and had a wasp go up my t-shirt sleeve, down my shirt in the back and right into my ass crack. He was stinging the crap out of my ass crack!! I pulled over quick on the highway and pulled my pants down as I was trying to get it to stop stinging me and out of my ass! I can only imagine what the people driving by thought as they saw me standing there with my pants around my ankles in my boxer-briefs manically reaching around my back into my underwear and swatting my ass while screaming every curse word under the sun!!! LOL!

Last edited by BonVoyager; 06-18-2018 at 02:24 AM.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #9

Cow sh*t. Farmer's manure spreaders don't hold their contents too well.
Auxillary Lights
Kuryakyn Longhorn Highway Pegs
Mustang Seat

VBA #: 3681

Old 06-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
i had my own cigarette butt hit me a few times.

the wind vortex, sucks it back to the windshield and then shoots it past me sometimes. i always make sure it is out completely for sure.

Seriously, you smoke while riding
Cindy and I always comment when we see someone doing that and how idiotic it looks Just my opinion

Back on topic, Cindy got hit in the face shield with a BB. It left a perfectly round hole on the shield with little cracks around it.

i will never understand how people can ride without a helmet and face shield.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
Top Contributor

If I rode without a full face helmet my face be sunburnt in half an hour.
The sun and redheads don't mix.
I got a face like a smacked ass yesterday sitting in shade under a tree !

Old 06-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #12

I caught someone's cigarette in my collar at 70mph once.

I had a heel shifter off the bike in front of me go flying past my head.

But by far the worst I have ever experienced was a Love Bug swarm outside Kissimmee one time.

They are thicker than you can imagine, get everywhere, and their innards glow once crushed on black jeans.

But the worst part is that if you don't have a full face that completely seals, you WILL find out how bad they taste.

Been There Done That Got The T-Shirt
VBA 936

Old 06-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Seriously, you smoke while riding
Cindy and I always comment when we see someone doing that and how idiotic it looks Just my opinion

Back on topic, Cindy got hit in the face shield with a BB. It left a perfectly round hole on the shield with little cracks around it.

i will never understand how people can ride without a helmet and face shield.
That i do, just like in the car.

To each his own, just like Im on the side of the fence of only half helmet, jeans, tshirt.

I respect that you have your opinion and dont force it upon others.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

I was riding down a highway lined with cotton fields, there were millions of butterflies flying between fields on both sides of the road. I was picking pieces of butterfly out of the nooks and crannies on my bike for weeks afterwards.

Another time, riding with a group we were heading west on US 60 just outside of Wickenburg, AZ. another group of bikes was coming toward us. One of the riders in the other group spit or flung a mouthful of Copenhagen at our group. It hit the lead rider, which happened to be a woman.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #15

Yup, dude threw a mouthful of tobacco, hit me in the shoulder. Grabbed it & returned it thru his open window. Same with an empty pack of Marlboro box, bounced off pavement, just happened to catch my left hand, returned it & took off.
Big lesson was 2x8 inches truck tread hit my collarbone at 70. Hurt so bad I almost rolled off the bike. Didn't break, but learned to wear full face helmet. Had it hit my face, ida been done.
I wear full armored mesh & ride daily. Something heavy & sharp hit my calf above my boot 2 weeks ago. Kinda stung, figured on a good bruise. Got home to find my boot filling with blood. Closest call was a car tranny case rolling off a wrecker across my lane a foot ahead of my front tire. Lots of bugs & stuff over 40+ years. Thought about a quick release for the huge Nomad windshield til I noticed some major dings from road debris. Too old now to heal fast, guess I'll keep the shield.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk