Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-29-2018, 12:41 AM   #1

Herky-Jerky or gearing issue or what?

Hi all, I have seen this discussion many times but now I'm actually more confused.
This is to do with the Voyagers behavior and Ivanizing.
Herky-Jerky: Many are using g this term to describe how the 1700 abruptly accels and decels when travelling at slow speeds in the lower gears. I thought Ivanize was gonna fix it but some say it is worse. Me, I don't know what think.
I bought the bike last year, a 2013 Voyager all stock. I didn't find the "herky-jerky" too bad but what I didnt like was how sluggish it was.
I got it Ivanized this spring. Definitely noticed a difference in the acceleration / power band, it's awesome.
However the so called "herky-jerky" has me wondering if there's something wrong with my Ivan tune.
Our slowest speed limits here (except for school zones) is 50km/hr (about 30 miles per hour). If I stay in 2nd it feels like I'm revving it a bit high, but if I go to 3rd it feels better as far as the revving but then I do experience the touchy throttle, aka the herky-jerky. It goes away if I go faster / higher revs in third. Same issue between 3rd and 4th. Once I get to highway speeds everything seems to be good then.
I've also heard on forums that guys adjust their throttles with less play and there's some sort of way of modding the throttle with a PVC ring. I also heard, dirty air filter or maybe throttle body issue.
This is the first bike I've ever had , where I've been confused about the gearing and revs and I've been riding street since 16 years old.
If I crawl the bike in congested traffic in 1st or 2nd it feels fine, I'm amazed how well I'm controlling a big bike at slow speeds.
Is there an issue with my Ivan tune? Is it normal to take second all the way up to and above 50km or 60km (30 or 35miles)? Same idea with 3rd gear?
Does everyone have this? Should I lessen the throttle play or mod it? This has all got me second guessing and confused.
I would appreciate feedback on this.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 AM   #2
Top Contributor

I very much doubt there is something wrong with Ivan's tune and it has more to do with your riding style. Stay in whatever gear the bike the bike feels most comfortable with and don't lug the engine, all basic stuff. Some have said the throttle response becomes too aggressive when you do the throttle mod so my advice is to leave that stock.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:03 AM   #3

Your lugging the engine, let it rev up it won't hurt it a bit.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 AM   #4

Have you cleaned the throttle body. You can ask budman how disappointed I was with my bike in Lake George last year. I wanted to park the damn thing and go rent one. I didn’t think my problem could possibly be the throttle body but it was. If you do this and it doesn’t work your out a can of cleaner, if it does your be smiling like I was.

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 05-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #5

Dirty air filter made mine worse. K&N air filter greatly improved that and throttle response and mileage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
Our slowest speed limits here (except for school zones) is 50km/hr (about 30 miles per hour). If I stay in 2nd it feels like I'm revving it a bit high, but if I go to 3rd it feels better as far as the revving but then I do experience the touchy throttle, aka the herky-jerky.
At 30 MPH in 2nd gear you are running at 2500. That is most certainly not too high for the engine, it is actually the beginning of the sweet spot for torque in our engines. 3rd gear at 30 MPH is about 1900 RPM, way too low.

Run second gear at that speed.

What you are doing is incredibly common among cruiser riders, way too low RPM's.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

Ok - here is my thought on this - Herky-Jerky - Real issue.

Some is just riding style, some is just the nature of the 1700 V-Twin Voyager.

Those that come from another style of motorcycle (Crotch Rocket, Gold Wing, Sport Tourer ) hear and fight issues that are in the Voyager that weren't in their previous rides. My suggestion is this - Find an Experienced VOYAGER rider to take your bike for a ride. - Tell them what you are looking for, Lack of power, Herky-Jerky, Front tire wobble - Whatever. Ask them if what you are trying to find is "Just the Feel of a Voyager or a problem". I've had the honor of test riding several Voyagers across the country only to tell them - "I've had 3 Voyagers and everyone has done that!" "Oh, and this is what I did to fix it" kinda thing.

So all that said - get a second opinion. (Not the Dealer - They have a tenancy to say "That's the way they all are - No Matter What!"

Hope that was helpful

Old 05-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #8

Now all that said.
What makes Herky-Jerky better or worse?

* Gas - If I run regular it's worse, Premium best
* Accelerate/Decelerate smoothly on the throttle - If I On / Off, On / Off the throttle is worse than if feather it both ways.
* Belt tightness - Too tight is bad for these bikes, Get it to loose it's a little Herky-Jerky
* Air Cleaner dirty - I just checked mine - Someone caked mud in my K&N - Runs smoother now all clean and fresh oil.

Right now on Premium Gas, Smooth acceleration I can comfortably chug along at 1600 RPM's in 6th gear and get 48MPG on fairly flat roads. If I need to accelerate, it will pull it out of the low RPM situation - but not real quick. Pre-Ivan it would have fell flat on it's face and almost stall.

Hope that helps also.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #9

You have solved your own Question

Quote:
If I stay in 2nd it feels like I'm revving it a bit high, but if I go to 3rd it feels better as far as the revving but then I do experience the touchy throttle, aka the herky-jerky. It goes away if I go faster / higher revs in third. Same issue between 3rd and 4th.
You just answered your own question and solved your problem. While you may feel the RPMs are high, that is where the bike wants to run. Let it run where it wants. It is talking to you.
And It can't hurt to check the air filter and clean the throttle bodies anyway.

The Pre Ivan Herky Jerk was in the power bands 2500-3500 rpms. Sounds like what you are describing is in the lower rpm range, Almost lugging the motor range. I think that is a ANY Motor thing.

And all the other suggestions from others should also be helpful.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 05-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #10

I don’t have a Voyager, I have a Nomad, but have found slow speed handling is best when controlled using the clutch in the friction zone and throttle control at same time. Assuming both are in good working order.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #11

Yea - What he said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
I don’t have a Voyager, I have a Nomad, but have found slow speed handling is best when controlled using the clutch in the friction zone and throttle control at same time. Assuming both are in good working order.
When you get the Throttle Twist and the Clutch Slip all together you are "One Smooth Operator" (Sing it Sade!)

Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #12

Well you all have given me great advice! I thank you. I think the issue is I gotta get used to this bike and "feel" how it wants to ride. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better without a tachometer, like back when I rode dirtbikes. I just ran it where it felt right. Thank you all for your advice.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #13
Advanced Member

I had a conversation with Ivan about my bike doing stall events at lower speeds. He said that the 1700 is "confused" at 1800/1900 rpms and has a hard time telling if the throttle position is accelerating or decelerating. Something he hasn't been able to clear up. My engine was doing it at 2500/2800 rpms. 900 miles and a can of Sea Foam later she's doing good for now. I'm talking 400 mile run at a time to one end of the state and back.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 05-29-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:01 AM   #14

That's what I'm talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
He said that the 1700 is "confused" at 1800/1900 rpms and has a hard time telling if the throttle position is accelerating or decelerating. Something he hasn't been able to clear up. My engine was doing it at 2500/2800 rpms.
That describes exactly what I was experiencing with the FIRST Ivan Tune. The Wife (on her Spyder) and I (on my Voyager) would ride 45-50 MPH back roads she would lead alot. I could never find the right gear to just cruise at that speed, I was constantly in a Zoom up, Slow down mode (Kinda like a Yo-Yo behind her). I almost ran into her more than once.

But - Ivan has played with that so it is way less noticeable now - Thank You Ivan.