Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Staying Hydrated

As mentioned previously, I make quite a few trips from LV to SoCal.

Especially with the heat now, staying hydrated is a concern. I tried a Camelbak type backpack on my last trip and while it is a great product, it doesn't work well with the driver backrest. It's too large to wear on the back and still use the backrest. It is too restrictive to set behind the backrest and still use.

Any other options or ideas? Maybe strapping it on the bike, but still being able to be close enough for use?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Hydrate

Riding today in 100 + degrees for about 3.5hrs.

I just automatically drink water and lots of it, along with a White Helmet that has 7 vents and Long Sleeve White Cotton T-Shirt (heavy weight).

Pace myself Knowing it's hot

It's all good but was glad to arrive home.

Before riding with short sleeves the sun just cooking me in the past was a no-brainer. (of course i was young)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
As mentioned previously, I make quite a few trips from LV to SoCal.

Especially with the heat now, staying hydrated is a concern. I tried a Camelbak type backpack on my last trip and while it is a great product, it doesn't work well with the driver backrest. It's too large to wear on the back and still use the backrest. It is too restrictive to set behind the backrest and still use.

Any other options or ideas? Maybe strapping it on the bike, but still being able to be close enough for use?

Old 06-27-2018, 07:45 PM   #3

I use a CamelBak's lobo with drivers back rest put CamelBak over backrest no problems I'm comfortable.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
Riding today in 100 + degrees for about 3.5hrs.

I just automatically drink water and lots of it, along with a White Helmet that has 7 vents and Long Sleeve White Cotton T-Shirt (heavy weight).

Pace myself Knowing it's hot

It's all good but was glad to arrive home.

Before riding with short sleeves the sun just cooking me in the past was a no-brainer. (of course i was young)
how many miles was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
I use a CamelBak's lobo with drivers back rest put CamelBak over backrest no problems I'm comfortable.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk
may have to try another model of camelbak, one i had (gave it to the gf) wasn't working out. i think it was more the backrest than the pack.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up

Less than 150 miles
If you've ever been to Austin the traffic just doesn't move at certain times and that's most of the time. I was just idling on the asphalt waiting for lights and people to move. The rest was moving on down the road with two outside stops.
Usually I don't leave so late in the day from the Lake but today was necessary.

(I went to look at motorcycles and one work related stop)

I did enjoy my ride once the lights changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
how many miles was that?

may have to try another model of camelbak, one i had (gave it to the gf) wasn't working out. i think it was more the backrest than the pack.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2018, 07:04 AM   #6

I use a camelback strapped across the top of my camp bag which sits on the passenger seat.
A couple of inches back from the mouth piece I place some Velcro around the tube. The other piece of Velcro is placed around the front of the saddlebag rails. I can reach down for the tube while still watching the road and replace it without any hassles. Sticks really well.
Cheers, Pete.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Never tried putting mine on this way, but could you wear it loosely backwards? I ride with a jacket on, so it wouldn't seem like too much of a problem. Without a jacket, then it may be.

Hmmm. A tank mounted camelback. Well, you saw it here first.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

How about a cool collar bladder with a camelback straw? Like a horse collar, draped over shoulders clipped in front? Freeze it, ride cool & drink as it melts. Camelback should make one. Saw something similar for skiing many years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #9

I have a hydration pack that I use on long rides, especially when riding alone. It is a bit of a pain and takes too much time to put on/take off for group rides. If I'm riding with a group, I have a bottle and a beer growler that keep water cold a very long time and drink plenty of water at every stop.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #10

Cupholder on handlebars/fairing, drinks in saddlebags. Drink as needed, Remove from saddlebag every gas stop. Water from hydrant over head and shoulders, Once moving, cloths, shoulders and head dry out about 50-70 miles, drink usually gone by 80-90 miles, fillup at about 120 to 150....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #11

Same here, I've got a big cup holder on the bars. I buy a couple 1 liter bottles of water during gas stops and drink frequently. I had a camelback once, but the water out of it tasted like rubber. Seems like a hassle on a bike, but to each his own...