Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Question How do I get my GPS to come through my speakers?

Need some advice please- My GPS mount is hardwired to the bike so it charges as I ride, but the sound doesn't come through my speakers. What do I need to get that hooked up somehow? I'd like to be able to hear the directions, and play my music off the GPS. I've got a hook up for an Ipod in the left pocket (don't have an Ipod, and doesn't work with my Iphone). I also have a power outlet on the right side, which I haven't used yet..
Thanks, Archer

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #2

Some clues about what GPS you have and what kind of wiring harness came with the GPS would help us give you advise. There is a harness on the Voyager
that you can access thru the head light. It is on the right side looking in the head light access hole. I don't remember the colour of the wires. My Garmin 660 came with a harness for the M/C and it has all the wire to hook it to the system speakers of the Voyager. However I can't hear well so I have it bluetoothed to the the helmet thru a helmet bluetooth.

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

It looks like you have a Vaquero and I don't know if that has the same wire harness in the fairing as the Voyager. I did the same as TX1700 did for my Garmin Zumo 660. I also had to purchase the Kawasaki K10400-046 Navigation Audio Cable to have the music from the GPG go through the speakers if I remember this right. I believe that the cables from the GPS were all that I needed for the directions into the speakers.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 PM   #4

If your GPS has a 3.5 mm socket for headphones, then the adapter cable JD Hog mentioned should work. It should come with instructions for hooking it into the iPad connector. You set the radio console to AUX. Be aware that the only control on the handlebar that will work will be the volume control, but I assume that you can control the track, play/pause, etc. from the GPS.

If it does not have a 3.5 mm socket, you can still hard wire the GPS to the radio by tapping into the GPS speaker wires, if you are willing to open up the unit.

I had an old 3.5 mm extension cord that I added my own bullet plugs to and made my own equivalent to the adapter cable. $2 cord and some bullet plugs for a few pennies vs.$40 to buy the same thing with the Kawi brand on it.

Tags
gps, sound, stereo