Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #1

starting bike in gear

???

Hello everyone. My bike fires up right away if gear is in neutral but whenever the bike is in gear, it does not start up in about 95% of the time I try. I make sure the clutch is pulled in but that does not seem to help.

Thanks
KawaNOW #00755

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 AM   #2

starting bike in gear

kickstand down?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #3

starting bike in gear

egey, thats crazy, are you saying that the starter just keeps turning over the engine, or the starter doesn't work at all? What Model is your Nomad? I have a 07 1600, and a few times (mostly when its cold outside, not saying that has a thing to do with it) I've rolled my out of the Garage, with it running and pulled in the clutch to put it in 1st gear and its like I don't even have the clutch pulled in, when I put it in 1st it kills the engine, and once or twice when I've rolled it out of the garage not running, with it in 1st gear, with the kickstand up, went to start it and its like the clutch isn't even pulled in. I've always just thought it was the Hyd clutch? I guess this would be a ? for someone like MacMac. Would be intresting to see if others have this same thing going on?????
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 06-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Advanced Member

starting bike in gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
egey, thats crazy, are you saying that the starter just keeps turning over the engine, or the starter doesn't work at all? What Model is your Nomad? I have a 07 1600, and a few times (mostly when its cold outside, not saying that has a thing to do with it) I've rolled my out of the Garage, with it running and pulled in the clutch to put it in 1st gear and its like I don't even have the clutch pulled in, when I put it in 1st it kills the engine, and once or twice when I've rolled it out of the garage not running, with it in 1st gear, with the kickstand up, went to start it and its like the clutch isn't even pulled in. I've always just thought it was the Hyd clutch? I guess this would be a ? for someone like MacMac. Would be intresting to see if others have this same thing going on?????
I "pump" the clutch a few times when I first get on the bike. It seems to help with issues like you've described.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #5

starting bike in gear

Goose, thats just your clutch plates sticking because its cold, a few pumps of the clutch lever usually helps.

Egetaseb; Check and clean the sidestand switch and the clutch lever switch. They may be dirty.
I always make sure Im in nuetral when I start the bike, If I try to take off with the stand down, it will quit on me. Once or twice I couldn't start mine in gear with the clutch in either. Im not sure if there is another switch in the tranny.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

starting bike in gear

The best cold start is down in neutral, clutch still held in, which dis-enages the tranny. If the oil is cold enough the bike will still jerk and enough to make you wish the ft brake was held In too.

If you want, You can cold start in 1st, and with the bike in 1st, and the cluth In push the bike or jerk it forwards hard to break the oil 'Sticktion'. There is no real purpose to do that, unless you can't fish neutral.

Sticktion, is basicly like fishing, standing in goo ball mud and then trying to take a step, to find your foot just became bootless

All the time people, to include me try to start a bike in gear with the side stand down, and we hear a dull clunk, and say Uh Oh, right Jim?

So on a cold start be in neutral, clutch In, ft brake On, and seated to ride.

In a stall the side stand will be up, and a stall is a error is either pilot error, or a engine system malfunction, so then Clutch In.

'IF" the Neutral Safety, Side Safety, and Clutch Safety are all meeting To Start Conditions and the engine refuses, it is time to check the wiring at these switches.

The most common problem, as a real problem is the clutch switch contacts are loose and or dirty. It just takes a slight bump on the wire harness to un-seat the switch connector.

The same might be said for the side stand connector, which never gets cleaned or inspected, any more than the shift linkage gets cleaned and lubed.

Now might be a good time to get that done eh? The shift rod and it's bell cranks are exposed to road crud, puddle debris and other. It is not inside the engine, just under it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #7

starting bike in gear

On my 2004 I have to have it in neutral to start. I have killed it taking off from a stop light in 2nd gear (duh) and have to then put it in neutral to restart. I wish I could start it with just the clutch pulled in. Are you guys saying that you can do this with the newer Nomads?

SteveO

Old 06-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #8

starting bike in gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO
On my 2004 I have to have it in neutral to start. I have killed it taking off from a stop light in 2nd gear (duh) and have to then put it in neutral to restart. I wish I could start it with just the clutch pulled in. Are you guys saying that you can do this with the newer Nomads?

SteveO
You should be able to start it in gear on any year Nomad check your safety switch on your clutch even if it looks like it is plugged in unplug clean it and plug it back in.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #9

starting bike in gear

Thanks for the responses. I always make sure that the kickstand is up. This problem happens all the time. It also happens if I stall at a stop sign or at a red light. I try to restart the engine while in gear but nothing happens. I tried playing with the clutch today by varying how much I pulled it in. When the clutch is fully depressed, the bike did not start but when I released the clutch a little bit (almost halfway from full release), the bike started. I guess the problem is with the switch or dirt as some of you suggested.

BTW - bike is 2004 nomad
Thanks
KawaNOW #00755

Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
starting bike in gear

I always try to start in neutral, just a habit I have gotten into. There have been a time or two when I stalled at a light and it starts in 1st or even second as that has happened a time or two.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #11

starting bike in gear

Have you looked at the wire cluster under your left side mirror? I was monkeying around with my bars and the wire loom connector loosened up just enough. It looked like it was connected though.

Make sure that connection is fully seated in and you shouldn't have anymore problems. It's just a guess though but, one worth checking before going any further.

Russ

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #12

starting bike in gear

When I was out earlier today I tried to start the bike in gear, and it fired right up with the clutch pulled in.
What I never noticed before was that I could not shift into second gear from nuetral, It went into first easily as always.
It must have to be rolling a bit to shift into second I assume.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
Advanced Member

starting bike in gear

I almost always start my bike in gear with the clutch in and brake on. I never put in in neutral at a stop either. Mine has tried to lurch forward at start up but rarely would not start.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
Top Contributor

starting bike in gear

They should start in any gear with clutch pulled in. most do start in neutral to start just easier.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #15

starting bike in gear

Agree with most here, bike should start in any gear but why would you want to start it in 2 thru 5?? Should always be in 1st when coming to a stop or parking it.
As far as the other suggestions with a "sticky" clutch on a cool or cold morning I do exactly what macmac does. I "break" the clutch free before I start it. Also, pump the clutch a few times. It still will lurch a little but not as bad. Nomad owners learn early on to hold that front brake tight when starting cold. I've even had it lurch a bit in warm temps after sitting for awhile. I just always make it a habit to put in neutral, hold the brake before hitting the starter switch.
Good point made to check the side stand switch (cleanliness and lube) as well as the shift linkage. I'll check mine on a regular basis now. thanks for the reminders.

vin

vin