Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

1983 Yamaha Venture trunk build for 1500 Nomad

Update: It seems that Photobucket wants to charge to host photos like the ones used here to document my trunk project. I think they may eventually remove all the photos if I don't start paying for their services. So I have saved these 3 forum pages as pdf files into my Google Drive account just in case.

Here is the link if anyone is interested:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...P7?usp=sharing

So I've decided to do a Venture trunk build based on what I've seen others doing here and around the web. I felt like I had a few ideas I hadn't seen before that you might find interesting so I'm going to share it here.

I bought a 1983 Yamaha Venture trunk from Ebay for $40. I feel like the overall quality, paint, metal, pad are all in good enough shape to work with. I don't think it will need much repair.

I didn't realize at first that I would want the quick attach bracket and ended up buying one from Ebay for $30.

There are some holes and cracks in the bottom that seem to be in the usual locations from what I've seen. I plan to use ABS plastic plumbing fittings, ABS cement to fix it up as I've seen people discuss here.
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewto...&t=3246#p13182

At first I starting out using C.A.D. (Cardboard Aided Design) to get a feel for how this would look on the bike. My plan was to remove the sissy bar and luggage rack but leave the offset brackets to mount my new bracket to.

When I mocked it up in cardboard I didn't like how the part had these tabs sticking out.

New plan: Remove the sissy bar offset brackets and mount my new bracket directly to the side rails of the bike.

I drew up the bracket in Solidworks. The plan is to use some 12 gauge steel we have and powder coat it Chrome or Black.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700SC (Sold)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Work4crown; 05-18-2020 at 11:47 AM.