Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #151

1700 Nomad Discussion........

I owned two victories a 1999 and a 2001 and never agin mine had transmision problems from day one traded for the 2001 and the same thing and the dealer in knoxville tn. was no help. JMHO

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #152
Advanced Member

Let's hope they worked that out

Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzinger
Just keepin the thread alive!

Has anyone heard of an actual ride report yet?
I'm the proud owner of a new 1700 Nomad. Give me a couple days and I will get a full report/review posted. Still figuring out how to post pictures.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #154

Can't wait for a report, Stan!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #155

[quote=Sin City Stan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "bobzinger ":ol5kiptf
Just keepin the thread alive!

Has anyone heard of an actual ride report yet?
I'm the proud owner of a new 1700 Nomad. Give me a couple days and I will get a full report/review posted. Still figuring out how to post pictures. [/quote:ol5kiptf]

Way to Go!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #156

Congratulations what a I Nice Byke, Enjoy it and I congratulate you

Old 04-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #157

I visited my dealer this afternoon and sat on an '09 Nomad 1700. The bike looks great and the top loading bags aren't that bad. It would take a little getting used to but I don't have any major heartburn with them. One thing I noticed is that I feel like I'm sitting more forward and the bike actually feels a little smaller than my '07. I didn't take any pictures because it is the same color as Stan's in the above post. I would like the extra torque and the six speed. Nice bike but I'll keep my '07 for a few years.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #158

Well I took delivery of my 1700 Nomad yesterday. Black. Very impressive paint, especially with the gold/white pin stripping. I had the dealer reinstall my J+M CB and Garmin GPS. May have not been the best decision as they brought all the connections to the surface in the wrong locations. So I redid it myself. Only downside was a scratch I left on the saddle bag when reinstalling the seat at 3AM (memo to file: STOP working on the bike after midnight) I hope they offer touch up paint :-[

Even with an eye on over-reving, you can tell that there is a good bit of punch in the new engine. The OD is very well positioned. Staying just under 70 as recommended, the OD drops the RPMS but doesn't cause any lugging. Coming from a VTX1800 with linked brakes, it took a bit to get accustomed to these suspenders, but they were up to the task. The bags seem much more durable than the ones on the bike I saw at the International Motorcycle Show. Maybe the bags on that bike were demos rushed through for those shows. The lid clasp does not catch immediately. An adjustment might be necessary.

Just one downside and it is repairable. The seat is TOO thick. It slides you too far forward (Groin crushing?) and sits a bit too high. It makes the seating position feels a bit too cramped for me and I'm only 5'9"! I think a deep dished Corbin or Mustang replacement will be just the ticket.

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 (the seat cost it that half)

Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #159
Top Contributor

congrads on the bike. I'm 5' 10" and the 09 nomad felt a little cramped to me compaired to my 08
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #160
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by petenrudy
Well I took delivery of my 1700 Nomad yesterday. Black. Very impressive paint, especially with the gold/white pin stripping. I had the dealer reinstall my J+M CB and Garmin GPS. May have not been the best decision as they brought all the connections to the surface in the wrong locations. So I redid it myself. Only downside was a scratch I left on the saddle bag when reinstalling the seat at 3AM (memo to file: STOP working on the bike after midnight) I hope they offer touch up paint :-[

Even with an eye on over-reving, you can tell that there is a good bit of punch in the new engine. The OD is very well positioned. Staying just under 70 as recommended, the OD drops the RPMS but doesn't cause any lugging. Coming from a VTX1800 with linked brakes, it took a bit to get accustomed to these suspenders, but they were up to the task. The bags seem much more durable than the ones on the bike I saw at the International Motorcycle Show. Maybe the bags on that bike were demos rushed through for those shows. The lid clasp does not catch immediately. An adjustment might be necessary.

Just one downside and it is repairable. The seat is TOO thick. It slides you too far forward (Groin crushing?) and sits a bit too high. It makes the seating position feels a bit too cramped for me and I'm only 5'9"! I think a deep dished Corbin or Mustang replacement will be just the ticket.

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 (the seat cost it that half)

Hope this helps.
First of all, welcome to the Nomad Nation from the Grand Canyon State! Be sure to drop by the new member introductions area and introduce yourself and get welcomed all nice and proper.

I rode a 1700 Nomad a week ago and just remembered something I failed to mention in my write-up, but your comment brought back a painful memory - when I climbed aboard one of my "boys" almost got crushed. I thought it was just me, but maybe it was the seat.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #161

Pete,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the write up.
Rich

Old 04-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #162
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

It was definitely the seat and not you Scott! You couldn't catch those little chicken nuggets in your own zipper!!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #163
Top Contributor

that new seat just looks way to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IMO.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #164

Here's an excellent write up on all four models of the V1700.
http://www.chicago106miles.com/Vulcan_1700_Review.pdf

Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #165

Hi folks,
I'm a brand new 2009 Nomad Owner and I LOVE IT! I previously owned an 01 for 5 years, traded it for a Goldwing and regretted it almost immediately, traded the 'wing for a Venture to a guy that made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Really didn't like the Venture and when the new 1700's were announced I new what I wanted.
Took delivery Thursday and of course it has rained Friday and now Saturday so I still only have about 100 miles on it but I can tell you what I know so far.
This bike has POWER, the torque # of 108 should say it all, when you upshift the bike practically leaps forward, and I'm taking it easy during the break-in. (any thoughts on the break-in process? I know there are two schools out there, let me know what you think. Follow the owners manual or the "ride it like ya stole it" school)
One comment I saw was "I'd trade the 6 speed for the cruise control". Well now you can have both and they both work flawlessly. There is a really loud "clank" when you shift but I hope that lessens as it gets broken in. I'll let you know. There is also a strange whine that may be the new belt, hopefully that will quiet down in time.
Many have mentioned the smaller reach to the handlebars and more compact cockpit. That is not an issue with me at only 5'7", a friend who is 6'4" sat on it and said it felt fine. He is considering the Voyager (currently rides a Venture) I will be adding highway pegs so, if I need to stretch out it won't be a problem.
The seat is VERY comfortable but I have not had a chance to spend all day in it yet. My '01 had a comfortable seat but a 300 mile day caused butt burn, a Mustang seat fixed that problem. I hope that's an investment I won't have to make with this new seat. The seat on the Nomad and Voyager are different from the Classic and LT so we'll see if it really is "all day comfortable". Again, I'll let you know.
Another concern is the bags. I don't like the looks as much as the old style but I understand the move to top loading. The "action" of the lids is kinda cheap feeling and they are tricky to close. I'll bet Kawasaki revises them in a couple years. Hopefully if there is a problem they'll be covered in the Good Times Protection Plan. I do wish they had retained the familiar 3 chrome strips. I may add some just so you can tell from a block away it's a Nomad.
I also like the "floating" pads on the floorboards, I can assure you no vibrations reach your feet.
You may have noticed in photos a small switch on the right handlebar that says A-B, this switch controls LCD displays in the Speedometer, Range, Trip meters, miles/km's, etc.
So far all I can say is this is the smoothest, most powerful V-twin I've ridden, the sound of the pipes is a little louder than my old Nomad but is certainly not loud, just a pleasant rumble. As far as the concerns about belt drive. They've been around a while and I've heard they hold up well and these new ones from Kawasaki are supposed to be stronger, that's why they were able to make it narrower. If any issues arise with my Nomad I'll post them here as soon as they occur.

By the way, somehow a wrong box was clicked and lists me as female, I love 'em but I'm not one.

See ya'll out there and feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. As I'm sure you can tell I love to talk about my new Nomad!

Gary Merriott
Email: cmerriott@suddenlink.net