Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Wink Headlamp question?

I am thinking of changing the stock halogen H4 bulb for an LED version which is much brighter. Another member here was kind enough to give me a copy of the Vaquero service manual. It says the fairing needs to be removed just to change the bulb. I removed the front cowl that covers the headlamp. Looks like 3 bolts hold the head lamp in place. My question is can I replace the bulb without having to remove the fairing?

2014 Vaquero ABS SE.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #2

For just a bulb replacement, I've read you can get it by removing either of the storage boxes and reaching in from behind. I believe there are 4 bolts/screws holding the headlight in the fairing, not 3.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #3

I have a Voyager and I just take the whole headlight out. 1 screw on the bottom of the trim and 3 hold the headlight housing in. I would think the headlights are the same.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #4

My headlight wasn't working when I got my bike (just a cpl weeks ago) There is a allen screw just under the headlight housing, remove screw then gently tug from the bottom the trim from around the headlight. I had 4 screws around the headlight on my V. Headlight came right out.....I pulled the rubber off the back and light came right out.....my wiring was unplugged for who knows why....replaced with a PIA bulb....very bright.....50.00 have yet to see it after dark......

Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLewis View Post
My headlight wasn't working when I got my bike (just a cpl weeks ago) There is a allen screw just under the headlight housing, remove screw then gently tug from the bottom the trim from around the headlight. I had 4 screws around the headlight on my V. Headlight came right out.....I pulled the rubber off the back and light came right out.....my wiring was unplugged for who knows why....replaced with a PIA bulb....very bright.....50.00 have yet to see it after dark......
That's the easy and best way to change the bulb. I have the same bulb in my Vaq, along with the matching bulbs in the running lites, great combo and a much brighter 'whiter" lite than oem halogen bulbs. They may not be as bright as LED'S or HID'S but a little less $$$ and easy to install.

I was kinda spoiled by my Busa with a HID low beam and the ZX14 with FOUR headlites, 2 low and 2 high. That 14, even with stock bulbs produced an impressive amount of light ahead. When I got the Vaq I felt as if it had a flashlite for a headlite!!

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by RACNRAY; 11-14-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
That's the easy and best way to change the bulb. I have the same bulb in my Vaq, along with the matching bulbs in the running lites, great combo and a much brighter 'whiter" lite than oem halogen bulbs. They may not be as bright as LED'S or HID'S but a little less $$$ and easy to install.

I was kinda spoiled by my Busa with a HID low beam and the ZX14 with FOUR headlites, 2 low and 2 high. That 14, even with stock bulbs produced an impressive amount of light ahead. When I got the Vaq I felt as if it had a flashlite for a headlite!!

RACNRAY
My C14 made so much light it was hard to tell if it was still night. Once I got my VAquero headlight aimed properly, I wasn't disappointed, though. After all, my Z1000 uses a candle...
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 11-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #7

LED headlight

I just installed the Truck-Lite (27270C) LED head light housing on my Vak. However, this housing is in no way compatible with the stock armature onto which the stock light itself is attached. As should be, the stock fixture is designed for the bike. The TruckLite is a plain backed housing. There are no possible ways to attach this light to the stock frame. No holes for attaching a bracket, nothing. It is as pictured online. I had to get really creative in order to attach this light to the bike's stock armature. But since I was hell bent on replacing that stock headlight, I 'jumped' into the challenge. Once all that was figured out and done it looks great. The light is absolutely brighter than the stock halogens. As far as the pattern it casts, and how well it lights I cannot tell. When night falls and I'm able to take her out, I'll see. I've included a couple pics for 'visual'. I also replaced the auxiliary lights' bulbs with LED's. But aren't too thrilled with the illumination they provide. However they too are brighter than the halo's. Plan on getting more powerful H8 bulbs. Now I have extra amps to play with when installing additional lights!...lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141122_120032.jpg (45.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20141122_120041.jpg (27.3 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by c3po; 11-22-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #8

What is the LED bulb that replaces the oem?

Old 11-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
Advanced Member

There are several H4 LED replacement bulbs. They are plug and play. The transformer can be velcroed to the inside of the fairing. I just did not want to have to remove the fairing just to change a bulb.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #10

I've tried an H$ LED replacement, and returned it. The light pattern had a huge hole in the middle of it. I liked the output, and color of the light, just not the throw pattern. The thing about using LED replacements is, the light coming out of an LED is very directional, and the mirrors in your headlight bucket are designed to spread light from an incandescent bulb that throws omni-directional light. what I plan to do, and recommend, is replacing the entire headlight with a sealed or semi-sealed unit designed for LED use. A bit more expensive, but the results will be worth it.

Trucklites makes a 7" unit that is the same design as the Kury phase 7 but only cost abut $180 at NAPA.

Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 11-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
I've tried an H$ LED replacement, and returned it. The light pattern had a huge hole in the middle of it. I liked the output, and color of the light, just not the throw pattern. The thing about using LED replacements is, the light coming out of an LED is very directional, and the mirrors in your headlight bucket are designed to spread light from an incandescent bulb that throws omni-directional light. what I plan to do, and recommend, is replacing the entire headlight with a sealed or semi-sealed unit designed for LED use. A bit more expensive, but the results will be worth it.

Trucklites makes a 7" unit that is the same design as the Kury phase 7 but only cost abut $180 at NAPA.

Orrr you could use an HID for about $60. Its plug & play, sort of. DDM Tuning sells them. I have a 55w High / Low. I love it. And with the 35w driving lights, its like a 747 landing . With the head light and driving lights it was a little over a hundred dollars.For over a year I have not had any problems and ride almost every day. I mounted the ballasts on the neck of the frame with Velcro.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
... My question is can I replace the bulb without having to remove the fairing?

2014 Vaquero ABS SE.
Absolutely! Just remove those three screws and the bucket will come right out.

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Old 11-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I am thinking of changing the stock halogen H4 bulb for an LED version which is much brighter. Another member here was kind enough to give me a copy of the Vaquero service manual. It says the fairing needs to be removed just to change the bulb. I removed the front cowl that covers the headlamp. Looks like 3 bolts hold the head lamp in place. My question is can I replace the bulb without having to remove the fairing?

2014 Vaquero ABS SE.

Just go through the storage box!!!!

Old 11-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanrider View Post
Just go through the storage box!!!!
I have big popeye forearms and adding an LED headlamp bulb is a little more involved than just twisting out the old bulb and connecting a new one. I just dont want to have take off the front of the fairing even though I kmow how to do it.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #15

From DDM Tuning for $69.96

Color : 3,000k
Application : H4 (Bi-Xenon +$19.99) (+19.99)
Ballast : Slim Ballast (AC/Digital) $9.99 50% off (+9.99)
Warranty : Lifetime Warranty $19.99 50% off (+19.99)

https://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net...23hYCk0aOi4-~A
Kury ISO grips
V&H Twin Slash
Cobra FI2000R
Chucksters BAK
Ray's Throttle Mod
4 Polk DB521
Alpine KTP-445U Amp