Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Top Contributor

TFI Installed Today

Like BD I have been playing with the resistors and various other "tricks" to make my Nomad have a little richer mixture over the past year or so. Hey, its fun tinkering and trying to out engineer the engineers that designed this thing to be Ultra-EPA compliant.

Anyway, some of you may remember that my bike seems to run OK with the open right side K&N (left side is stock) and the V&H baggers. I did adjust the TPS up just a tiny bit way back before the summer.

So I decided that I would drop by Custom Dynamics yesterday and pick up a TFI as an after Christmas gift to myself. CD is only about 20 miles from my main office so I ran by there on the way home. The folks in there are great and really helpful. I mentioned KawaNOW and all the TFIs that had been, and would be ordered....they said they had sold many 2050STs in the past month or so. Anyway, walked outta there with mine for $172 total :) :)

I was off today for my son's wisdom teeth extraction, so after I got him home and settled (he was knocked out on some really good drugs ;) and Mom was inside with him) I went outside to the garage to tackle this little project.

First I removed the resistor I had installed in the temp sensor circuit. I had wired that with connectors in anticipation of removal someday, so that was merely unplugging a pigtail I had made with the resistor in it, and plugging the original wires back together. I decided that the adjustment I had made to the TPS was so minor, and within the OE specs for Kawasaki, that I would leave it where it was.

I sat the side stand on a block so the bike was more/less sitting straight up, but not enough that if my clumsy a$$ turned the wrong way and hit it by mistake, it would turn over. I then removed the rear seat section and then the main saddle. I removed the left side cover (careful not to break those tabs...several on here have :( ) No Cali bike here, so no canister in there taking up space.

I then removed the two rear tank bolts and the attached wire hangers/holders and disconnected the two plugs on top of the battery (these wires run through the holder attached with the left rear tank bolt) Be careful disconnecting these, they are delicate and have a tab lock that must be sprung before pulling them apart. This just gave me a little more room to raise the rear of the tank without stressing those two wiring clusters. I carefully raised the rear of the tank somewhere in the neighborhood of 4" and supported it with a spare little 12" or so piece of 2X4 that I had laying around the garage. This gave plenty of access room for the injector connectors.

I then routed the wires/plugs from the TFI through the hole already in the left side storage compartment that lead to the battery area, and then up the middle frame member to the area of the injector plugins. Seems to make for a nice tidy job and free from wear or sharp areas. Left everything loose in order to have plenty of wire to move around with up under the tank.

Got my big ole' meathooks up under the tank and with a little persuasion and only a tiny bit of a cuss word unsnapped the front stock injector plug (you will see these from the left side of the bike, between the cylinders and they are light blue). Be careful with these too...I tend to hate these little snap on connectors as I usually try to force them a little too much and have broken my share of them. Anyway, with the matching lead from the TFI, I plugged it into the injector and plugged the corresponding other side into the OE harness plug. I repeated this for the rear cylinder. Without removing the tank, it is a little cramped doing this, but be patient...if my big ole hands can get in there, yours can.

Pulled all the slack out of the wire back to the control module in the left side storage compartment, ziptied the wires up nicely in the middle of the frame, and lowered the tank back into it's original position (be careful here that you have not pulled any vent, fuel, electrical, or vacuum lines under the tank and the none are pinched....my fuel line had gotten in the way and I had to ease it back into place). Reinstalled the two rear tank bolts and wiring tabs and the two connectors on top of the battery and was ready to go.

I improvised on the "eye" ground connector. I did not want to completely remove the ground bolt from the battery, so I used a dremel tool (wire snips or diagonal cutters would work too) to cut the end out of the loop making it essentially a split blade type connector. Then I just loosened the ground bolt on the battery, slid the connector under it, and then tightened the ground bolt back up.

This all took around 30 minutes.

So I am ready to go and tune it in, right ?

(This is my dumbass confession for this little job).

I had not bothered to read the directions up to this point, so I fire up the bike and take a look at the LEDs on the TFI module and only the red #3 pot is on and steady...... WAIT, THIS IS NOT RIGHT...ONLY THE #1 GREEN ONE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ON !! Where the hell did I put that box, and did it have directions in it !!! OK so I found the box and quickly read the highlights....yeah yeah, whatever, let me call the support line....nope, closed for the holiday....OK, let me call BD, he just put his in...Am I missing something here ?? ??.....Damn, BD isn't answering either.....DAMN........

So I look at it and look at it (OK maybe I said a inappropriate word or two) and then think, "hey wait, they did say to set to the recommended settings first, then tune it in". So I grab my screw driver and run the #4 pot up to 9 and WALAH !!! On comes a steedy green light from #1 and #3 is off (and still set to 1:00). PERFECT!

I run the RPMs up to around 2K and adjust the #1 pot to the highest and best running setting...seems for me to be between 2:00 and 4:00.....4 is just starting to load a little bit so I settled on 3 for now (also based of many of the suggestions and postings of other members on here). I adjust the "accelerator pump" #2 pot and test it by quickly punching open the throttle and 6:00 seems to be good for a starting point.

It was only 43 here today, but that can't stop a test run. Here's my observations...... A lot more power through the entire range of RPMs. Like BD has said, it's not a rocket, but it has more power...seat of the pants feels like several more horses....but the place you really feel it is when you roll on at speed above 20 or 30 mph. It is really evident when you are going above 60 mph and call for some horses...much more responsive. Also, the bike seems to run much smoother. I dont know if that part is my imagination or not.

I am certainly going to be tinkering with it for a little while and seeing what the mileage is. I don't really mind loosing some MPG if the performance is enhanced, and, I can always back it down a touch if going on a long trip where I want to stretch out the stops between fill ups.

Thanks to all you guys that have posted your TFI experiences prior to this, it helped a bunch with the decision to go ahead and buy one, and with the install (Hell, I almost got away with not even reading the literature that came with it )

Install/Adjust even with my temporary brain fart was under an hour.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Advanced Member

TFI Installed Today

atta' boy todd! Nobody in their right mind reads directions before attempting installs or putting stuff together! My wife just shakes her head when she sees me putting something together. Wonder what that means? But, great you got er' installed and working!!! :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #3

TFI Installed Today

Glad you got er done, like I've always heard, "If all else fails, READ the directions"

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 12-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI Installed Today

Or call BD and F**K with him over it huh big boy???!!

Looking back on it, its a walk in the park. Sorry 'bout the call Toddster. I was really busy at work today. Some of us have a yob ya know!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Top Contributor

TFI Installed Today

I was thinking of doing that mod too.

I always read the instructions 1st then I'm really confused and thats the english instructions ::)
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Top Contributor

TFI Installed Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
I was thinking of doing that mod too.

I always read the instructions 1st then I'm really confused and thats the english instructions ::)
It really is about as easy of an electrical mod as you will do short of changing out a bulb!!!

....hey, maybe that's why I never read instructions...it would just confuse me!!!!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 12-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Top Contributor

TFI Installed Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Or call BD and F**K with him over it huh big boy???!!

Looking back on it, its a walk in the park. Sorry 'bout the call Toddster. I was really busy at work today. Some of us have a yob ya know!!!
WHAT!!! I was just out riding today while you were working......WHAT??

Actually, I checked my vacation just before Christmas and had somewhere in the neighborhood of just over 280hrs and have to get it down to 240 pretty fast while still accruing more time everyweek. :'( :'(

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 PM   #8

TFI Installed Today

Good job Todd......and great write up.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 12-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #9

TFI Installed Today

My TFI is supposed to arrive next Tuesday. I am looking forward to getting it all hooked up. Got the air filter from Autozone as well, just need to get that installed.

I've read a couple of times about the #1 pot adjustment to be made with the rpm's at about 2000. I don't have a tach so I'm wondering how to accomplish that? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Old 01-01-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
Top Contributor

TFI Installed Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty
My TFI is supposed to arrive next Tuesday. I am looking forward to getting it all hooked up. Got the air filter from Autozone as well, just need to get that installed.

I've read a couple of times about the #1 pot adjustment to be made with the rpm's at about 2000. I don't have a tach so I'm wondering how to accomplish that? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
probably the easiest way is to pull out the "choke" or fast idle knob and let it run at that rpm...that should get you opened up enough that the TFI will add fuel and you can adjust....that's what I did and it worked just fine.....if you have a throttle lock you could use that too.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #11

TFI Installed Today

Hey, Todd. good write up, and , by the way, it was you that gave me that final push to go ahead and order mine (different thread). So thanks. But W T H are you doing reading directions!!?? Are you trying to screw it up for the rest of us? LMAO!

Can't wait till it arives. And what are the "magical" words again that I'll need to be repeating to get the install correct? Was it Milton Flinker, or Gord Dumnit, or Sam on the Beach? ???

Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #12

TFI Installed Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsregalnadness
Hey, Todd. good write up, and , by the way, it was you that gave me that final push to go ahead and order mine (different thread). So thanks. But W T H are you doing reading directions!!?? Are you trying to screw it up for the rest of us? LMAO!

Can't wait till it arives. And what are the "magical" words again that I'll need to be repeating to get the install correct? Was it Milton Flinker, or Gord Dumnit, or Sam on the Beach? ???
I think Milton Flinker is off with Gord Dumit and Sam on SOME Beach Some Where.. staying at WTF Inn in Oh Sheet NY,,,

Old 01-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #13

TFI Installed Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsregalnadness

I think Milton Flinker is off with Gord Dumit and Sam on SOME Beach Some Where.. staying at WTF Inn in Oh Sheet NY,,,

Old 01-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
Top Contributor

TFI Installed Today

I think I mentioned all those guys and all those places within a 5 minute window!!!!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC