Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #1

Hawk Helmets

Advanced Hawk Flat Black Dual Visor Full Face Motorcycle Modular Flip Up Helmet (Item #:H6640-Flat-Black) I am currently looking to buy new helmets for my wife and myself. I came across these helmets a few days ago at a store and was wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of them. I have researched on the net and I am finding mixed reviews about them. I know everyone has there personal preference, but I'm trying to decide if they are worth buying. The price is good and they have some nice features to them, they also seem to be comfortable, however I do not want to sacrifice safety over money. Thanks for your help with this.....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Hawk Helmets

I have never heard of that brand. HJC has a large selection of helmets and some are not terribly expensive. I presently own a HJC half helmet and the HJC IS-33 3/4 helmet. Both are extremel well made. Prior to the HJC's I owned a couple of Nitro 3/4 helmets. They seem to be good helmets and very inexpensive.

I checked out the Hawk website and looks like they are good helmets. They have some that are economical and some that are high dollar. Maybe someone has had experience with the Hawk and can tell you more.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Hawk Helmets

Hawk is a new name for me. But I haven't been looking for a helmet either. They say "DOT" but I didn't see any Snell ratings.

You get what you pay for.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Hawk Helmets

I have heard of them, but don't own one and have never seen one.

Not all helmets have Snell certification.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #5

Hawk Helmets

Ive never heard of them either, but I find that helmets are a personal type of fit. Some brands just fit and feel better than others. Id try any helmet before I bought it, regardless of the price.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #6

Hawk Helmets

We both tried these helmets on the day we found them. I currentyl have HJC full faces plus our half helmets. These Hawker helmets fit great and felt more comfortable than the HJC's. I just wanted some input before I decided to buy or not... For the money I think their not that bad of a helmet. Just wondered about quality...

Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #7

Hawk Helmets

OK, here's the deal. You go buy one for you and one for your wife.
Try them awhile and be the first to review them for the rest of us. Sound good ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #8

Hawk Helmets

T.C., I've pretty much decided to go ahead and buy them. And I will let ya'll know how they hold up. Unless someone on here tells me not to in the next week or so before I get back up there.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Hawk Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose (Mack)
T.C., I've pretty much decided to go ahead and buy them. And I will let ya'll know how they hold up. Unless someone on here tells me not to in the next week or so before I get back up there.
If a helmet fits you well and feels comfortable, then buy it. A helmet that fits properly is better than a helmet that doesn't, regardless of the price.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Hawk Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose (Mack)
If a helmet fits you well and feels comfortable, then buy it. A helmet that fits properly is better than a helmet that doesn't, regardless of the price.
I would have to agree with you. Many years ago I tried on a few full face helmets. I tried on some Bell very expensive ones, that said they would fit like a glove....NOT ..uncomfortable for me. I finally found one that FIT and was actually on the lower end of the $ scale and it fit good, had just as good as a rating as the Bell and other high end helmets. So more expensive are not always better and some bargin basement are not always crap either. The better the fit, the longer you can wear it comfortably.
Let us all know how you like it once you've got a few miles on yours.

Scott

Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Hawk Helmets

Most all helmets will protect your noggin one time. No more, no less. A helmet is like the new car bumpers. They are made for one time use. If you ever even drop a helmet it has lost some of its protective features.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #12

Hawk Helmets

I had exactly the same experience with the Bell helmets, I tried them but they fit my head horribly. I ended up getting two Simpson helmets, one for snowmobiling, and the other for the bike. Both Simpson buckets felt like they where made for me.
My brother has an expensive Arai helmet and Im not sure that it fits well enough for me to buy one, but he said it feels good on his head.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #13

Hawk Helmets

From my understanding, no modular helmets or half helmets have the SNELL approval. There are a few 3/4 helmets that do, but not too many.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #14

Hawk Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Most all helmets will protect your noggin one time. No more, no less. A helmet is like the new car bumpers. They are made for one time use. If you ever even drop a helmet it has lost some of its protective features.
I have heard this many times, but I don't know how true it is. Obviously if your helmet has had a hard hit, it may be damaged and you don't want to use it, but the whole idea of, if you dropped it it wont be as protective, I don't believe.

What about football players? You get two guys running full speed at one another, banging helmets, all the time. I'm sure that they hit harder than an empty helmet, falling on the ground. Are they're helmets a better design? Why don't they replace them after every use?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Hawk Helmets

I was at a helmet store in Gilbert (Helmet Harbor) and I asked the owner about that, since I had dropped one of my helmets. He said it used to be true for fiberglass helmets, but polycarbonate helmets are much more durable.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060