Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Member Intro

Welcome Dragon57 glad you found Trip's new place.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #17

Member Intro

Hello - My name is Sharon, better known as Dip (D-I-P and that's all...) I live in Maryland and I recently purchased an 07 1600 Nomad. So far I seem to be the only female on this site so I hope that isn't going to be a problem :-/

Anyway, prior to purchasing my Nomad I had a Vulcan 750. I loved my 750 and when it was time to step it up a bit I wanted something that pretty much had the same specs and smoothness in ride as my 750. Additionally I tend to do more distance riding so I needed some room - especially for packing stuff (saddlebags are awesome) I tried all types of bikes and did a lot of research and viola! I'm back on another Vulcan.

So far after a week or so, I do not regret my decision. The 1600 appears to be all that I had hoped. My only concerns are as follows and maybe someone here has some suggestions:

1. windshield - way too high; even at the lowest level
2. handlebars - a bit too far away from me, causing me to have to slump forward just a bit. definitely would become too uncomfortable during longer rides.
3. rides somewhat rough on occasion. can't figure this one out. first we thought it was idle, but I don't think so. Sometimes it sounds like it wants to cut off, but hasn't yet (thank god). I could be traveling at 20-30mph and even today at about 70mph and it almost seemed like it was hesitating, intermittently. I can tell it's got some power to give me but it feels like its trying to hold back??? - this by far is the most annoying concern.

Well anyway, look forward to interacting with members on this site. By the way, any thoughts regarding "break-in periods?" Just curious...

Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #18
VBA Founder

Member Intro

First of all, welcome to the group dip.
You are the only female so far, but that's no problem at all. Feel free to visit and ask anything.

I'm sure others in the group will join in to try and answer your questions.

As far as your windshield, If it's still too high at the lowest setting, I'd suggest either having it cut down (that is if you can trust someone to do it) or buy another windshield. Others may join in and have some other suggestions based off of their experiences.

Handlebars...have you thought about purchasing some extensions? I haven't put any on, but there are members in the group that have. They can probaly give you a source and cost estimates on installation.

As far as the ride...have you checked out what setting you have on your rear shocks? Check the manual and adjust your rear shocks to the setting you might need for your riding style.

Sounds cool that you've got an 07 Nomad. Feel free to send a pic to me and we'll get it on www.kawanow.org.

Welcome aboard,
Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 06-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #19

Member Intro

Trip - Thanks for the welcome.

I don't think there's much left to do about the windshield other than have it cut down :-/ or purchase another one :( If I did purchase another one any suggestions, type, cost etc? ...anyone?

I had thought about adding the risers and probably will make that my first mod along with some Kurakyn Grips. Suggestions on which risers to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

I'll take a look at the rear shocks as you suggest...hopes this will resolve the problem ...it's annoying me.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #20

Member Intro

Hello, fellow Nomad owners, my name is Jan Talmon and I live in Bergambacht a small village in The Netherlands (Europe)

My ride is a 2005 grey/blue 1600 Nomad.

Trip

Thanks! for placing the article and pics about my dashboard with the 3 gauges on your new site! (www.kawanow.org) (see the Nomad Tips page)

Great site!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to jd
Member Intro

Hey, Dip; welcome! You didn't move "up"; you moved "over"! Both are great bikes; the Nomad is just better for you, for what you want your bike to do. (Can ya tell I love the 750? )

1. I agree with Trip; have it cut down, or get a different 'shield. Riding behind a fairing on my 750, I don't have any suggestions on a replacement for the Nad, but Slipstreamer and National Cycle both have a pretty good selection of styles. I had a Slipstreamer Hellfire before I got the fairing, and it worked well; the Enterprise is a larger version of it, and provides better hand coverage in the winter.

2. Kury has some nice risers, as does Scootworks:

http://tinyurl.com/3xhb92

Haven't used them myself, but have heard good things about them.

3. Riding rough, or running rough? Riding rough, I'd prolly think shocks, too, but since you state "on occasion", and from the description you give, I'd guess it sometimes runs rough. Not being that familiar with the Nomad, someone else will probably chime in on that one.

Quote:
Hello - My name is Sharon, better known as Dip (D-I-P and that's all...) I live in Maryland and I recently purchased an 07 1600 Nomad. So far I seem to be the only female on this site so I hope that isn't going to be a problem :-/

Anyway, prior to purchasing my Nomad I had a Vulcan 750. I loved my 750 and when it was time to step it up a bit I wanted something that pretty much had the same specs and smoothness in ride as my 750. Additionally I tend to do more distance riding so I needed some room - especially for packing stuff (saddlebags are awesome) I tried all types of bikes and did a lot of research and viola! I'm back on another Vulcan.

So far after a week or so, I do not regret my decision. The 1600 appears to be all that I had hoped. My only concerns are as follows and maybe someone here has some suggestions:

1. windshield - way too high; even at the lowest level
2. handlebars - a bit too far away from me, causing me to have to slump forward just a bit. definitely would become too uncomfortable during longer rides.
3. rides somewhat rough on occasion. can't figure this one out. first we thought it was idle, but I don't think so. Sometimes it sounds like it wants to cut off, but hasn't yet (thank god). I could be traveling at 20-30mph and even today at about 70mph and it almost seemed like it was hesitating, intermittently. I can tell it's got some power to give me but it feels like its trying to hold back??? - this by far is the most annoying concern.

Well anyway, look forward to interacting with members on this site. By the way, any thoughts regarding "break-in periods?" Just curious...

Old 06-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #22

Member Intro

hi all my name is jeff i ride an 06 black nomad. i am from illinois. looks like this will be a great site.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #23
VBA Founder

Member Intro

Welcome to the Nomad forum, nomadman and jeffm!

Make yourselves at home and thanks for visiting www.kawanow.org.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 06-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #24

Member Intro

Hi jd - thanks for the welcome. :) I too love the VN750. It was hard to part with it and I actually wonder how she's doing now. I hope she finds a home that will love her and appreciate her the way I did. The 750 provides awesome performance and is a great first bike or bike period.

I just purchased some risers from Scootworks Phat risers II. I tried to get them Aeromach but they have a 6-8 week back order. I need some now, because I'm getting ready to take some long rides in the next few weeks and just riding around town I feel stretched out just a bit two much. Didn't have this problem on the 750

I've been looking into the windshield issue. I found some pretty good vendors for a new shield but I want to see if there is anyone out there I would trust in cutting down the one I have. If not, I think I'll probably break down and get a new one from Clearview Windshields - looks like they have one that will do the trick.

I also purchased some new kury grips, like I had on the 750. Next I have to purchase a driver's back rest...there is so much I want to get, but I'll have to be patient (financially speaking). Since I plan on holding on to the 1600 for awhile, I have time - and I'll just have to work on patience.

In terms of riding rough, it's more like I feel a jerkiness or slight hesitation. I noticed it yesterday while I was cruisin at about 70 - 80 mph, but sometimes I feel it at lower speeds. I'll ask the dealer to take a look at some of things suggested on this forum as well as other folks.

Anyway, I seem to be long-winded so I'll say so long for now. Take Care and Ride Safe. Just learned that an associate of mine died in motorcycle related accident on Saturday and while riding yesterday, I saw another rider go down. Luckily he sustained only some serious road rash, nasty. All I had was some cleaning rags on my bike, but we made due until the Emergency Crew and Police arrived. The kid didn't have on any gloves... ???

Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #25

Member Intro

Hello All,
I'm still learnin how ta use this computer thingie,so this is one place i'm really slow. I'm Lloyd Weston (Ole Dawg) 69 yr. old retired steelworker. U.S. Steel Fairless Works in southeastern Pa. Started out ridin Triumphs in the 50's then slowed down while rais'n the kids, got back in the saddle again about 8 yrs ago for some therapy and its still workin. I work part time delivering Motorcycles for two dealerships and ride with the bride at every chance we get. She loves the Nomad mor'n me, and thats goin some. Smooth,comfortable and handles like a dream what more can i say that you don't already know.I had an 02 with 32000 mi. that i loved, but I was made an incredable offer, now I own an 07. And i've found this to outshine the 02 in its handling. WHATTA BIKE!..........I.m hopin ta ride this baby till i'm 80! YEEEE- HAAAAA
Thanks Trip for makin this forum for us "NOMADs" You are "THE WIZZ"

Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to jd
Member Intro

Dip, you might check with glass shops or plastics shops in your area. Several of the Yahoo! 750 group members have had windshields cut down that way, when they didn't trust themselves to do it.

Too many accidents this past weekend; a member of the 750 group's son went down somewhere in the Northeast, and nearly had his hand completely amputated in the wreck. Haven't had a chance to check since he posted this morning to see how the surgery went, but the doctors were optimistic going in.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #27
VBA Founder

Member Intro

Welcome to the forum oledawg......keep those pics coming.

Trip
Trip's Website

Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #28
Advanced Member

Member Intro

Welcome, oledawg and all the others I have missed.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #29

Member Intro

Hello all,
For Forums, I'm Waynem, but you can just call me wayne. I'm just a youngster, 65, soon to be 66, and just retired this year. My second retirement as I retired from the U. S. Marine Corps in 1984. Living in Texas City, TX since 1984.

Riding bikes since the 1970's off and on again as duty stations allowed. Even rode some in Japan, but I would not excatly call 50cc a bike, but it did get me around and back and forth to work.

Bought a 2004 Nomad in April 2004. Put 64,000+ miles on it when it decided to throw me and total itself this past March, in Montgomery County, TX. Broken shoulder blade is all. I'm back in the saddle with a 2007 Nomad. Is there any other bike? I really like the ride. Made Run for the Wall in 2006 on the '04. Put 3600 miles on it on that trip. Was going to go again this year, all the way to CA, to DC, New England and back, but the accident prevented that.

Always looking for information on Nomads.
Here is mine. It's on a commercial web site, but they wanted pictures of it to show so they could sell some more just like it.

http://www.texascitycycleonline.com/...nomad_1600.htm

DIP,
I have the PHAT Risers. They will hit your speedometer cowling. I'm trying to find an alternative but have not had any luck as of yet. The PHAT on the 2007 Nomad will put a dimple in the cowling. I may just leave it like that. You could also have someone weld a spot on the turn stops to keep the wheel from turning so far, but that will cut down you circles some.

I installed (had installed) a Power Commander. Makes the acceleration a lot smoother.

Semper Fi!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #30

Member Intro

Groundhog.

Thank you for both 1 and 2.
On #2, you could have one just like it!!!

Semper Fi!