Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #16
Top Contributor

Removing Silencers

<marquee>OUCH! </marquee>
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-31-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Removing Silencers

Nawwwwwww. He only serves up slow pitches now after his crash and hibernative pout!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #18
VBA Founder

Removing Silencers

Couple of questions BD........

Did you cut the silencers out with the pipes on the bike?

When you cut the end with the hole saw, did the other end of the baffle slide out or was it attached?
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Removing Silencers

I did it with the pipes on the bike. Once you cut all the way through about 1/4 inch of hard steel (it's a real biotch) the pipe just pulls out with some easy twisting with channel locks or vice grips. The other end of the silencer just slides into a tube further down in front of the two additional baffle plates. It's not welded to that.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #20
VBA Founder

Removing Silencers

Well, this sounds like something I might want to do in the future. Once you get the website up and running, let me know BD. I'll link to it from the KawaNOW website.

Also, keep me posted on how you like the sound. You're right, I've always said that I don't like things too loud due to the long trips I take, but at the same time, there's a voice inside me that says, "I want it louder". I think he means he wants it deeper.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #21

Removing Silencers

hey thats cool. The finished look is great - it reminds me of the Screaming Eagle Touring mufflers that look like cannons! I'm really considering this! Whats the best way to make the wood plug? I'm guessing the hole saw doesn't slip around too much once it gets started? I think this should definitly be tried before V&H If you don't like it you can always get the pipes.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #22

Removing Silencers

That sound clip sounded real good.
Didn't the article say they also pulled the goats belly and put in a crossover? What do those cost? Might still be cheaper than V&H or other.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Removing Silencers

what web site Tripster?

bobzinger, not that I could tell. Remember Finkster? he did both and took an 1100 mile trip with his wife and said he loved the sound. He's my contact with someone in Australia about getting a bypass for the Cat.

Wolf, you need to go the a lumber yard and get a dowel slightly smaller in diameter than the 1 3/4 in hole saw, I'd say about 3 inches long and grind one end of the dowel down so it will slide into the stock exhaust hole but a tight fit. Mine I had to lightly seat it was a soft mallet. This is a must as the saw will wobble like crazy if you try to short cut this process. Get a quality metal cutting hole saw, trust me or you will be drilling for hours!

Member # 0005

Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #24
VBA Founder

Removing Silencers

<<<Well Trip at the expense at reinventing the wheel I will post a web site that shows this procedure clearly. The only difference is that I used a smaller hole saw than the 2" saw used in this article.>>>

Sorry BD...read your previous post wrong. I got the impression you were going to post a website, but in reality, you were referring to the address in the message.
Trip's Website

Old 10-31-2007, 04:43 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Removing Silencers

Quote:
there's a voice inside me that says, "I want it louder". I think he means he wants it deeper.

<marquee>Wow Trip that's quite an admission!!! Are you coming out of the closet?????</marquee>

Member # 0005

Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM   #26
VBA Founder

Removing Silencers

Quote:
[quote:1fqddo67]there's a voice inside me that says, "I want it louder". I think he means he wants it deeper.

<marquee>Wow Trip that's quite an admission!!! Are you coming out of the closet?????</marquee>[/quote:1fqddo67]

The sound BD....the sound.

(in my best Jackie Gleason voice, "To the moon Alice...to the MOON!!".) LOL.
Trip's Website

Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
Sr. Contributor

Removing Silencers

Whew! glad you cleared that up! I'll post some close ups of my exhaust later so you can see what it looks like now.

Member # 0005

Old 10-31-2007, 06:03 PM   #28
VBA Founder

Removing Silencers

Quote:
Whew! glad you cleared that up! I'll post some close ups of my exhaust later so you can see what it looks like now.
Sounds good....did you spray paint the ends?
Trip's Website

Old 10-31-2007, 06:47 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Removing Silencers

Yes I painted the ends since the saw removed the paint. It looks darker than the picture. VHT bar-b-que flat black

Member # 0005

Old 10-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #30
Advanced Member

Removing Silencers

Bd thanks so much for your post! this is going to happen to mine this weekend the look is great and the sound is perfect just what I have been looking for.