Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #16

KAMS became standard for the 2012 model year, so 2009-2011 don’t have it from the factory, but that’s not to say it wasn’t added by the dealership or the owner for the models that didn’t have it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-11-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #17

Toko57, I alway wear an air jacket with all the armour and a 3/4 helmet in the summer. I did buy the medium windshield and it is about 2" shorter and that as I remember helped a little when you are moving. I have not seen a need to put the larger windshield back on for winter or even ride with the full face helmet. I still love the Voyager and would not replace it until I can't hold it up any more.

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Old 02-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1700 View Post
Toko57, I alway wear an air jacket with all the armour and a 3/4 helmet in the summer. I did buy the medium windshield and it is about 2" shorter and that as I remember helped a little when you are moving. I have not seen a need to put the larger windshield back on for winter or even ride with the full face helmet. I still love the Voyager and would not replace it until I can't hold it up any more.
Glad to hear, TX. By the way, your Voyager's color scheme is one of my favorites. If I end up getting a '12 or '13 with that color scheme I might name it "Cream Puff".

Last edited by Toku57; 02-11-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
KAMS became standard for the 2012 model year, so 2009-2011 don’t have it from the factory, but that’s not to say it wasn’t added by the dealership or the owner for the models that didn’t have it.
Yes, KAMS, the vented lowers, and K-ACT would be must-haves for me. I know that's all standard from 2013 on, and for budget reasons I'm looking primarily at 2013 and 2014 models. But I've seen a fair amount of 2012's with all three so that's an option too.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku57 View Post
Yes, KAMS, the vented lowers, and K-ACT would be must-haves for me. I know that's all standard from 2013 on, and for budget reasons I'm looking primarily at 2013 and 2014 models. But I've seen a fair amount of 2012's with all three so that's an option too.
Vented lowers were standard equipment from the start in 2009, not optional. As mentioned KAMS is standard for the 2012 model year, the only thing that was still optional at the time was K-ACT and trust me, there are PLENTY of 2012’s out there with K-ACT. I specifically looked for a 2012 with K-ACT, the one year only color scheme of grey and black and under 5,000 miles and I found quite a few out there to pick from before I bought one.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Vented lowers were standard equipment from the start in 2009, not optional. As mentioned KAMS is standard for the 2012 model year, the only thing that was still optional at the time was K-ACT and trust me, there are PLENTY of 2012’s out there with K-ACT. I specifically looked for a 2012 with K-ACT, the one year only color scheme of grey and black and under 5,000 miles and I found quite a few out there to pick from before I bought one.
There seem to be a lot of low mileage Voyagers compared to Harleys, Gold Wings, or Indians of comparable age. I've also noticed the two sport tourers I'm also interested in - the Yamaha FJR and Triumph Trophy SE - also have a surprising number of low mileage examples available.

Perhaps many Voyager, FJR, and Trophy buyers just decide touring isn't their thing, whereas Gold Wing, Harley, Indian, and BMW sport tourer buyers are more committed to it and therefore willing to spend thousands more on those bikes.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #22

Quote:
There seem to be a lot of low mileage Voyagers compared to Harleys, Gold Wings, or Indians of comparable age. I've also noticed the two sport tourers I'm also interested in - the Yamaha FJR and Triumph Trophy SE - also have a surprising number of low mileage examples available.

Perhaps many Voyager, FJR, and Trophy buyers just decide touring isn't their thing, whereas Gold Wing, Harley, Indian, and BMW sport tourer buyers are more committed to it and therefore willing to spend thousands more on those bikes.
Toku, my so is a motors deputy sheriff and is on a Harley 10 hrs a day and you should see his burnt calves. That's with leather boots up to his knees. So don't let heat sway you from any of your choses! If you want some good used bikes or a new Indian the https://www.dreammachinesindian.com/ in Round Rock has new Indians and a lot of Harley repros and trade ins.

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Old 02-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1700 View Post
Toku, my so is a motors deputy sheriff and is on a Harley 10 hrs a day and you should see his burnt calves. That's with leather boots up to his knees. So don't let heat sway you from any of your choses! If you want some good used bikes or a new Indian the https://www.dreammachinesindian.com/ in Round Rock has new Indians and a lot of Harley repros and trade ins.
Thanks TX. I've visited in Dream Machines as well as Mission City in Boerne. Both nice people. New anything - Voyagers included - are out of my budget, but I know both dealers have decent used inventories and seem low-pressure. Mainland Cycle Center south of Houston seems to be a good used Voyager source. They have lots of vids for them, and seem real knowledgeable about them too. My search area will be TX, OK, AR, LA - anywhere within a day's ride.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #24

Quote:

I think it is part them realizing touring isn’t for them, the weight of the bike 895lbs, or how the bike is from the factory (jerky and underpowered). Get a Voyager, you will LOVE it. But have the ECU reprogrammed by Ivan. Do some research and you will see why we do it. It makes the bike an entirely different beast that is much more enjoyable. Don’t let what I said scare you away, ALL bikes are choked back thanks to the EPA and they don’t perform anywhere near as good as they can until a few tweaks are done to them.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #25

Quote:
I think it is part them realizing touring isn’t for them, the weight of the bike 895lbs, or how the bike is from the factory (jerky and underpowered). Get a Voyager, you will LOVE it. But have the ECU reprogrammed by Ivan. Do some research and you will see why we do it. It makes the bike an entirely different beast that is much more enjoyable. Don’t let what I said scare you away, ALL bikes are choked back thanks to the EPA and they don’t perform anywhere near as good as they can until a few tweaks are done to them.
No worries - you haven't scared me. In fact, the helpful responses from you and others to both my recent threads have got me more interested in a Voyager.

I'm familiar with the magic Ivan works, and have no performance worries about an Ivanized Voyager. Heck, armed with the knowledge I've gained here and elsewhere, yesterday I even reassured a new Voyager owner on the Ivan's thread how getting it done should alleviate his misgivings about his purchase. Of course, I admitted I don't actually own a Voyager so he may have taken my response with a grain of salt.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #26

I ride a vaquero in Houston. no matter what you wear, do to your bike you are sitting on an oven in triple digit temps. it's never going to be comfortable and you are going to need a sponge in your underwear. no way around it

Old 02-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #27
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo1966 View Post
I ride a vaquero in Houston. no matter what you wear, do to your bike you are sitting on an oven in triple digit temps. it's never going to be comfortable and you are going to need a sponge in your underwear. no way around it
With they humidity you get, woulnd't be surprised if the bike sweats too.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 02-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #28

Ride nekkid with plenty of sun screen. It's hot. I served in the desert in an un air conditioned vehicle. now way around it, you're gonna sweat

Last edited by bo1966; 02-14-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #29
Top Contributor

Quote:

I had an FJR after I sold my Voyager. I did not keep the FJR long.
I could not get comfortable on it. They are fast and agile but in my opinion they are not a bike for long days of touring.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I had an FJR after I sold my Voyager. I did not keep the FJR long.
I could not get comfortable on it. They are fast and agile but in my opinion they are not a bike for long days of touring.
My concern with an FJR is that since the ergos are almost identical to my Bandit, my knees and thighs would get sore. I especially notice this on rides following a morning bicycle ride. The Trophy provides a little more leg extension, but not much.

Just curious - what made you sell your Voyager?

Last edited by Toku57; 02-14-2018 at 02:30 PM.