Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #16

The only way that you'll get better bass on a bike is if it's sitting still.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
Fried Chicken Blowout, a question on the encloser. I believe you stuffed it some to increase low end clarity? Since I'm using larger speaker, Pioneer TS-A1675R, my factory enclosure will not fit them. Would you think these would be effective in creating a better responce, tighten up the bass some. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT65...h.html?tp=2809
They also come in 2 3/8" amd 3" depths. I know I'll never get a thumping sound from these small speakers, but these are cheap, if they help any at all. Thanks for any input. I'm also using this amp.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020XC14...10.html?tp=115

I would get the 3" depth and give it a try. I would like to see them deeper for more overall volume.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #18

I could really use some help! I attempted to copy your setup exactly today and got lost on how to wire the amp to the radio/speakers. I got the power, ground and keyed power no problem, I believe I located the left and right speaker wire(sticking up in pic) and I located the correct input and output wires from the amp.
Can you advise me how to wire it from here? Do I use wires from both of the radio plugs? I'm just lost on how to connect the wires from the radio to the amp...

Thanks for any help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vaqamp1.jpg (101.3 KB, 52 views)

VBA Member # 02057

Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlock View Post
I could really use some help! I attempted to copy your setup exactly today and got lost on how to wire the amp to the radio/speakers. I got the power, ground and keyed power no problem, I believe I located the left and right speaker wire(sticking up in pic) and I located the correct input and output wires from the amp.
Can you advise me how to wire it from here? Do I use wires from both of the radio plugs? I'm just lost on how to connect the wires from the radio to the amp...

Thanks for any help!!

It's pretty simple really but it seems to defy logic. You're gonna take the 4 wires that go from he factory stereo to the speaker and cut them one at a time. Fine the middle of the available wire and pick one. Lets say it's the LEFT POSITIVE for the speaker. You would then have two halves of that wire once you cut it right? Well one half is going to the speaker and one half is going to the stereo. The half going to the stereo was supplying power to the speaker before, now you're gonna connect it to the INPUT for the LEFT POSITIVE of the amp. That's how the amp knows what music to play. Then the side that you cut that is going to the speaker hooks up to the OUTPUT for the LEFT POSITIVE of the amp which will then drive the speaker. Do this for all 4 wires and the amp then has +/- for both L/R and then the output for the amp is also hook into the same wires to the speakers so you have power to the speaker.

You're just cutting the factory wires in half, connecting the side from the stereo to the INPUT for the amp and connecting the side to the speakers to the OUTPUT for the amp. Just to rephrase it in simple terms.

Hope this helps. If not look at the owners manual for the amp a little more and then call Clarion if you still are stumped and maybe they can explain it in a different fashion. You don't do ANYTHING with he RCA plugs beside make sure the caps are all on and zip tie them to something so they don't rattle.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #20
Advanced Member

So as to not have to cut into any factory wires you could run the original speaker wires , the ones coming from the head unit going to the speakers, to the amp high level input and run new speaker wire from the amp output to the speakers you installed. Higher guage better quality sound. If you have to return to stock, its easy with no cuts in the original harness. My 2 cents.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Ken Vega; 05-26-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #21

Thanks a ton; I get it now...I was making it far more difficult than it is!
Do you guys have any tips on setting the amp up since I'm obviously clueless? Like hrtz, gain and all? I saw a couple switches on there and admit I didn't read the manual yet...

VBA Member # 02057

Old 06-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #22

I got this all wrapped up today and IT ROCKS!!!
Thanks again for the write up, help and recommendations. I used the exact same components and wired using the factory leads as Ken Vega suggested. It's crisp and clear and well surpasses the stock setup with volume setting 10 about equal to the stock 30 setting. I find about 15 is perfect for hwy cruising and it's crystal clear. Well worth the money and really easy to do with this thread as a reference!

VBA Member # 02057

Old 06-07-2015, 08:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlock View Post
I got this all wrapped up today and IT ROCKS!!!
Thanks again for the write up, help and recommendations. I used the exact same components and wired using the factory leads as Ken Vega suggested. It's crisp and clear and well surpasses the stock setup with volume setting 10 about equal to the stock 30 setting. I find about 15 is perfect for hwy cruising and it's crystal clear. Well worth the money and really easy to do with this thread as a reference!
Great glad you got some use out of it. Was hoping I could encourage some folks that might be hesitant to do something like this to take it on.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #24

awesome writeup!

I had the Polk DB521 in my other fairing and they are awesome speakers. Got them on the way now.

I had the Rockford Fosgate Punch in my other fairing, but this Clarion on seems pretty good as well.

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #25

As this is a 4 channel amp in a 2 channel setup...did you do anything with the wires for the other 2 speaker channels?

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:54 AM   #26

I just tied everything that wasn't used off with zip ties making sure all the ends were covered, taped, etc. Wound up looking like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150606_142739.jpg (102.3 KB, 72 views)

VBA Member # 02057

Old 08-08-2015, 06:54 AM   #27

Thanks for the info now I definitely know I will be taking this to the local shop and just paying the 100 bucks to let them do it lol. This sounds so complicated.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #28

It's really pretty simple; the cliché "If I can do it, anyone can do it" certainly applies to me in this case. That said, $100 for labor doesn't seem unreasonable at all but I had mine torn apart for many other projects and didn't find this one too difficult with the help given on this thread.

VBA Member # 02057

Old 08-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #29

First class writeup. I pdf'd the thread for future reference. Riding yesterday I noticed the stock setup is kinda lame. Put it on the winter project list.

Thanks,

Old 10-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #30
Advanced Member

Is there enough room to use the Harley adapters (5.25 to 6.5) and mount the speaker in behind the fairing?

Anyone install an aftermarket deck instead?