Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #16

are those the "Stealth" mirrors? Those are the same ones I've been considering! Nice job!!
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #17

Nicely done! Love the blacked out look. I'd be interested in hearing more about your front turn signal install if you don't mind. Is it possible to not have them run as running lights? I have been looking at doing this same mod but haven't seen what I liked....until now. I assume you use a load equalizer to maintain the stock flash rate? I'd be interested in how you mounted the lights and ran the wiring as well. Your setup is exactly what I've been looking for. How do you get the lights to run dimmer when acting just as running lights? If you can catch a pic of your rear turn signals on I'd like to see those too. Awesome to see another kick ass Vaquero out there!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #18

Bike looks amazing ZZ! Real sharp. What is involved with the vinyle wrap? Is that appled with a heat gun and shrink wrapped on? Where can you buy it? I've talked to local guy for powder coating but assumed I'd have to paint some of the parts - like front lights. Wrap looks much easier and maybe cheaper? Thanks for sharing with us!
VBA #2354

Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to HurtSoMuch Send a message via Skype™ to HurtSoMuch
pure evil..awesome
VBA #02163

Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #20

Dude, nice job! Awesome looking bike

VBA #01898

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
are those the "Stealth" mirrors? Those are the same ones I've been considering! Nice job!!
Yes, they are, they are the smaller of the two stealth mirrors.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drof View Post
Nicely done! Love the blacked out look. I'd be interested in hearing more about your front turn signal install if you don't mind. Is it possible to not have them run as running lights? I have been looking at doing this same mod but haven't seen what I liked....until now. I assume you use a load equalizer to maintain the stock flash rate? I'd be interested in how you mounted the lights and ran the wiring as well. Your setup is exactly what I've been looking for. How do you get the lights to run dimmer when acting just as running lights? If you can catch a pic of your rear turn signals on I'd like to see those too. Awesome to see another kick ass Vaquero out there!
Ok here we go...
You can wire them just as turn signals, it would be simple. Just use to of the three wires when hooking them up. I used a signal stabilizer that equalizes the whole bike. Super easy install as well and creates no additional load or heat on the bike.

To mount the lights I used a couple of "L" shaped pieces of black ABS plastic. They were actually scraps from a dash kit I had recently installed in my truck. That gave me a nice large surface to put mounting tape on, I then glued the LED strip to the front of the L shape. Fits very solid, know because I had to cut them out at one point to be more visible. For the wiring I just drilled a small hole in the back of the louver and shoved the wires through. I then removed the speaker on each side and there was plenty of room to do the wiring. No need to remove the fairing at all. To make them act as a run/turn, there is just a small module that you put in line when connecting them... It is like 5 bucks from Custom Dynamics when you order.

The rears are nothing fancy... If you look at my picture where the red brake is on, it is just am amber signal that is brighter than the red. Looks real nice in my opinion.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by haygrrr View Post
Bike looks amazing ZZ! Real sharp. What is involved with the vinyle wrap? Is that appled with a heat gun and shrink wrapped on? Where can you buy it? I've talked to local guy for powder coating but assumed I'd have to paint some of the parts - like front lights. Wrap looks much easier and maybe cheaper? Thanks for sharing with us!
I have a total of $35 in the vinyl wrap! Much much easier and cheaper than paint, and I think it looks awesome. All you need is a hair dryer for heat, and some patience. No my bike isn't perfect, but I am the only one who will notice where the blemishes are... And to be honest most people would think I was crazy because they are so minor. And this was my first attempt at wrapping anything. Just take your time and you be love the way it comes out,

It isn't really shrink wrapped on... Just that the heat allows you to stretch it around the contours of each piece. Trust me, I did good up a couple times and have to start over!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #24

Thanks for the details. I'm going to order some wrap this weekend and give it a shot! Can't believe it's that inexpensive. I have nothing to lose at that price...
VBA #2354

Old 04-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #25
Advanced Member

That looks great. Nice job

Old 04-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by haygrrr View Post
Thanks for the details. I'm going to order some wrap this weekend and give it a shot! Can't believe it's that inexpensive. I have nothing to lose at that price...
Exactly! You heat it with the hair dryer and take your time. You can remove it and reposition to get it right a few times. I had to remove and start over after I really screwed up! But for the most part it is very forgiving and you will get it done!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #27

Very nice!!!!

Rensselaer, Indiana

Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #28

Nice Job!

I also, have a Black Vaquero trying to get rid of all the chrome.

I have several chrome pieces left: Hwy Bar, Saddlebag Bars, Saddlebag handles, Floorboards, cylinder heads, and gas cap.

I have separate LEDs in the vents Running lights and separate blinkers. I also, put 2 1/2" round LEDs for Turns and running lights in the saddle bags.

I believe I'm going to keep the stock air covers and have someone either paint a malteses cross or have it cut into it and back light it in red.

Quetion: Did your bike run cooler when you removed the left side air covers?

thanks

Roger

Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsweat49 View Post
Nice Job!

I also, have a Black Vaquero trying to get rid of all the chrome.

I have several chrome pieces left: Hwy Bar, Saddlebag Bars, Saddlebag handles, Floorboards, cylinder heads, and gas cap.

I have separate LEDs in the vents Running lights and separate blinkers. I also, put 2 1/2" round LEDs for Turns and running lights in the saddle bags.

I believe I'm going to keep the stock air covers and have someone either paint a malteses cross or have it cut into it and back light it in red.

Quetion: Did your bike run cooler when you removed the left side air covers?

thanks

Roger
I am not sure that the bike runs any cooler, but there is better air flow over that part of the engine so it doesn't creep up my legs, it blows right by!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #30

Nice Job!

Mine is not there yet but getting close.