Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #31

Congrats Kris. I remember you had exhaust, PC and (attempted) big air kit before you even brought the Voyager home. Will this one be coming home stock?
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by petenomad View Post
Congrats Kris. I remember you had exhaust, PC and (attempted) big air kit before you even brought the Voyager home. Will this one be coming home stock?
He bought a box of Crayons so he could add pin stripping!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBBY View Post
Boardwalk Blue is a color, The Boardwalk is a model that replaced the Kingpin.
I reread Kris's epic announcement, I shouldn't have missed it that he certainly was buying a XCT.

However when he said he can now put both feet flat on the ground, I thought he was getting the Boardwalk because the Boardwalk targets the same potential riders as H-D Softail Deluxe and the Deluxe has about 25" seat height.

What a name for a colour, eh? The colour itself is quite nice though.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #34
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Kris, I wish I could say I am surprised, but I'm not. I could tell from your past posts that the Voyager wasn't the right bike for you. I hope the new Victory is everything you want in a bike and then some. Good luck with the new ride, buddy.

Now for the gratuitous Harley disciple parting shot: It may not be a Harley, but it's a step in the right direction!

Oh, one more thing...welcome to the ever growing "red headed stepchild" group here.
The Harleys are just as bad or worse than the Voyager for rider/passenger room. I love the look and sound of the Ultra's, but that was a deal-killer for me. As for being red-headed step children, we better keep this quiet. If Obama learns some of us can afford more expensive bikes, he's gonna insist we let all these other knuckleheads ride'em for free.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
do tell???
Really Brad.....anyone with an IQ larger than your inseam could probably have figured it out...but thanks indeed for all of your input. It only confirmed my suspicions.....that I would soon be banished to the "red-headed step children" of the VBA.....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #35
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by petenomad View Post
Bring it home stock? That would be like getting a date with a supermodel and bringing her home early...... On the recommendation of my saleman who just bought a set for his own bike, I am adding a set of Witchdoctor's exhaust w/chrome tips. He says they sound awesome, do not require a re-mapping and they have had very little trouble with backfiring. I also added a high-flow air filter, 2" pullback handlebars, an XM radio kit, shorter windscreen and will add some aftermaket things like a Utopia backrest, heel shifter from Kewlmetal, HD luggage Rack and get this...a set of Voyager top saddlebag rails! I pulled one off of my bike and tested the look and fit on the XCT...BINGO! It looked and fit great, with three of the four mounting points sitting flush and the rear inside one about 1/4" off the deck. A few good rubber washers can take that up. Even my saleman was wowed. Being tubular, they will match the HD trunk rack perfectly!

BD probably rolled his off the showroom floor stock and it will probably still be that way in Estes, because the new bike purchase notwithstanding....he is still a CHEAP BASTARD.....
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Netnorske; 02-25-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Some have said this was not a surprise, I was surprised, maybe I didn't read all of your posts.
I truly hope you are happy and get many months of great rides, before the next best thing. Seriously, ride happy and safe.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
It is truly sad to see you leave the Kawasaki family. I hope that you, like Scott, and a few others, continue to stick around and participate on the forum and at the rallies.

+1 - Hope to c u in Logan, UT!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #38
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Some have said this was not a surprise, I was surprised, maybe I didn't read all of your posts.
I truly hope you are happy and get many months of great rides, before the next best thing. Seriously, ride happy and safe.
Gerry,
I think through my posts, it was obvious to some anyways the struggles I was having getting the Voyager to better fit me. In the end, it was just too much to overcome. The real deal-killer though was simply that I could not utilize a backrest and still have enough room for the wife to be comfortable. The rest I had made great strides in mitigating with minor mods or simply could have lived with, but the lack of space was not fixable or tolerable.

I really wish Kawi would have just revamped the 1600 platform with a 1700+cc motor, a six speed trans, the shaft drive and those same cool saddlebags with a trunk option. The generous rider/passenger space on that bike was a huge selling point. I fear that Kawasaki is going to lose marketshare to other brands if they don't somehow address that issue.
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #39
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74 View Post
+1 - Hope to c u in Logan, UT!!!

Are you going to Estes Park, Bill? The national rally is a year before Logan.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #40
Top Contributor

Congrats, Kris. Couldn't get around the looks of the Vision, eh? As powerful as the CORE bikes are (Vision, XC/XCT, XR), about $1500 worth of cams, fuel processor, etc and you'll be able to blow the doors off of pretty much anything except for a crotch rocket or a few sport tourers (you'll probably never beat Ponch) and you'll do it while getting good gas mileage.

The 3 biggest/best Victory forums are: www.thevog.net, www.thevmc.com and www.cross-riders.com.

As totally awesome as the Victorys are, don't think you'll get much out of Victory corporate.

While you're planning for meets and rallies, don't forget AVR (American Victory Rally) in Spirit Lake, IA every August.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
The real deal-killer though was simply that I could not utilize a backrest and still have enough room for the wife to be comfortable.
Ummm, Kris, if you remember back a few weeks, I believe I told you how to overcome that backrest problem
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #42

I agree with the passenger space issue. I put a rider backrest on during the off season and had my wife get on. Don't know if it's going to work. May try to move the trunk back an inch or two.
VBA #1976
Bancroft,Idaho
2012 Electa Glide Classic
2003 Nomad FI(Past)

Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #43
Advanced Member

Congrats Kris! I hope you like your new bike. If the Victory dealership in Wichita wasn't functioning through insanity, I would most likely be riding a Cross Country right now. They wanted me to either trade my Nomad in for $5000 and buy their XC for full retail or keep the Nomad and they would discount the XC to what the current online sale price was at the time.

Probably for the best though as I would have ultimately wished I would have went with the Cross Country Tour like you're buying. I figure I'll ride my Voyager for another three years or so and probably end up on a Victory XCT before it's all said and done.

After buying my Voyager, I stopped by a dealership in Topeka that sells Victory and Kawasaki. The owner there impressed me when we spoke so if I make a change, that dealership will be my first stop. He has encouraged me to come by when they have their next big "test drive" event, but I'm afraid to. It was obvious when I test drove the XC that it was going to need some aftermarket help with wind management. I'm afraid if I ride the XCT, I'll find it perfect and do something foolish!
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Last edited by fammdw; 02-25-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
. . .
I really wish Kawi would have just revamped the 1600 platform with a 1700+cc motor, a six speed trans, the shaft drive and those same cool saddlebags with a trunk option. The generous rider/passenger space on that bike was a huge selling point. I fear that Kawasaki is going to lose marketshare to other brands if they don't somehow address that issue.
+1 I was a little surprised that you purchased so soon after the VV. Not at all surprised at your choice of a XCT. I still don't have an income in Phoenix (yet). Otherwise I would be on a 2012 Cross Roads set up similar to your XCT. The 2012 XR is the last year that has all the stuff I want (Gloss Black, Hard Bags, Windshield, Quick release Trunk option). If I bought "lightly used" it would only cost me $3-4K out of pocket after selling the Nomad.

Another thing I think you will be pleased with on your new Victory is the fuel mileage. Easy 200 + miles on one tank.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #45

Kris...although we've never met yet..its been an honour knowing you. Thank you for all your efforts you've particapated in VBA. I'm really happy for you that you have a ride that works for you. I too am looking for a new ride next yr. and my sights are on the Conours-14, I would have had it this season but I'm purchasing another house right now, so it has to wait a year. Kris ...we need pics..take care bro..Bdog