Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #1

Pros and Cons of Vaquero?

I know I haven't been on here for a while, and I have tried combing the board for answers about owning a Vaquero. I read through most of the thread on Owners of Vaquero, etc.... I am finding some issues, which I know is normal when a new model comes out, but having trouble keeping them all straight! (Blonde thing, I guess!!! LOL!)

Hubby has found me a deal on a 2012 blue Vaquero, which we are about ready to pull the trigger on (I'll trade in my 900). Can I ask if it is worth it? Is it a good bike? Are the Vaquero owners happy? Any thing I should worry about or replace immediately? Is there a better thread to find these answers in?

Thank you!!!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #2

You are in the correct forum and welcome. IMO, there is nothing of the Vaquero that MUST be replaced as soon as you get it other than the windscreen, and that' primarily dependent on your height and helmet style e.g. Full face v/ Half.

That said, I've changed several things, but that's because I can't leave any bike alone.

New, my Vaq had somewhat of a whine in the belt at low speeds, but that has gone away some time ago, now at 3500 miles. Louder shifting is a trait of the 1700's, but that too has gotten quieter with mileage.

Many of the guys on this thread will argue till the cows come home that the Voyager is a "better deal" because of some included accessories and tourpack. But the Vaquero is a different bike, with a different look and a different attitude. You'll love it

Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #3

I replaced my 1600 Nomad with a 2011 Vaquero and couldn't be happier. Just returned from my first long trip (New York to the Dragon in North Carolina) and enjoyed every minute of it.

I replaced the stock wind deflector with a 12" windshield, and bought the quick release passenger backrest to help hold my touring luggage on the bike.

It is a good bike, and there are no immediate "worries" other than - as jestephens said - the wind deflector. Of course, YMMV.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #4

Good questions, cheriann. I want to see these answers too. I'd love to have a Vaquero, but it may be a year or two before I can pull that trigger.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
You are in the correct forum and welcome. IMO, there is nothing of the Vaquero that MUST be replaced as soon as you get it other than the windscreen, and that' primarily dependent on your height and helmet style e.g. Full face v/ Half.

That said, I've changed several things, but that's because I can't leave any bike alone.

New, my Vaq had somewhat of a whine in the belt at low speeds, but that has gone away some time ago, now at 3500 miles. Louder shifting is a trait of the 1700's, but that too has gotten quieter with mileage.

Many of the guys on this thread will argue till the cows come home that the Voyager is a "better deal" because of some included accessories and tourpack. But the Vaquero is a different bike, with a different look and a different attitude. You'll love it
Thank you!!! It's funny you mention the Voyager vs Vaquero. I have already been getting that from others, but I am firm that I want the Vaquero

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
I replaced my 1600 Nomad with a 2011 Vaquero and couldn't be happier. Just returned from my first long trip (New York to the Dragon in North Carolina) and enjoyed every minute of it.

I replaced the stock wind deflector with a 12" windshield, and bought the quick release passenger backrest to help hold my touring luggage on the bike.

It is a good bike, and there are no immediate "worries" other than - as jestephens said - the wind deflector. Of course, YMMV.
Thank you so much! I guess my first replacement will be the windshield. Thank you for the measurements!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post
Good questions, cheriann. I want to see these answers too. I'd love to have a Vaquero, but it may be a year or two before I can pull that trigger.
WHEW! Glad someone else wanted to know too!!! I know many have been discussing their Vaquero here, but I wanted a thread with immediate pros and cons all in one place

Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #8

I too just love my Vaquero. Like others replaced the windshield right away with a Cee Bailey 9". If your making a deal, try and get them to throw in the aux. driving lights for free, and while they got it apart they might as well throw in aux. cig. lighter plug. Other then that, enjoy and don't be afraid to pull the trigger.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #9

Love my Vaquero...

I’ve ridden motorcycles for years now, I’ve been riding a track dedicated Yamaha R1 for the last several seasons but when I decided to start street riding again in addition to my track riding I researched everything in the large V-twin category and decided on the Vaquero and I have absolutely no regrets in buying it. This thing is a beast and rides and performs extremely well, I’d wanted a V-twin for a street bike as I like the ‘loping’ feel to the engine, the Vaquero is no R1 superbike but pulls strong, and even with the stock intakes, exhaust, and rubber performs very well, you don't have to change a thing if you don't wish to...

I have but one minor complaint and this comes more from years of sportbikes and track racing than a true issue with the Vaquero, the Vaquero does exhibit a slight delay/lag in throttle response at small throttle openings which I find disconcerting, I'm used to immediate response, but ‘RACNRAY’ here on the forums has developed a fix and I’ll be using his modified throttle tube and solve that problem.

This bike has gotten a great many compliments wherever I go and don’t let the size fool you, she handles and performs well. I’m partial to liter bike performance and handling but the Vaquero sheds her weight when she starts moving and really provides a spirited yet stable ride with predictable handling, I can hustle her through tight turns and sweepers with ease… luckily the floorboards have replaceable ‘feelers’…

I think the biggest 'problem' I see is some owners trying to make the Vaquero something it's not, I see it designed as a solo rider alternative to the Voyager, a 'muscle bike' type of attitude and stance. If that's what you like, the Vaquero can't be beat...

Edit: I should have mentioned I did upgrade to the Cee Baileys 11" dark grey windscreen, it really diminished wind turbulence. I do intend to upgrade the intake to a Thunder, the EFI to a Cobra and the exhaust to V&H, not because it's necessary but because I like buying my motorcycles toys! In addition to the RacnRay throttle tube mod I plan on adding the Kawasaki driving lights, I like the look...

This thread needs a pic!

Last edited by DarkStar; 04-25-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Image...

Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Advanced Member

I just traded in my 2008 nomad on a new vaquero (green / black) a few weeks ago. I absolutely love this bike and I think you'll have a hard time trying to find any reason to regret making the trade. Like others have already said, the stock windscreen /shield is a joke. I just ordered a taller shield for mine a couple of nights ago.
Make the trade, you'll be glad you did.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #11

I could not be happier with my 2011 vaquero. before that i rode a nomad and a 900.

Like others, i put a new windscreen on (and i added a few extras fro my wife like the passenger floorboards).

I use my bike for an everyday commuter and trips on weekends. I am very pleased with it in all the roles its called on to play.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #12

i love my vaquero and as others stated......a taller windshield is a must. i will also add the ipod cable for the left glove box. i personally do not listen to the radio that much as i do my ipod. hope this helps and good luck with the purchase.
VBA #01967
PCV
Black Thunder Tornado Air Kit
V&H Slip-ons
Racin Ray Throttle mod
Black Kuryakyn Mirrors
Black Kuryakyn Grips
Black Powder Coated Crash Bars, Highway Pegs, and Saddle Bag Handles
KQR Sissy Bar and Luggage Rack
Red Lenses and LED's on the rear with
Run,Brake,Turn Signal Control w/flash equalizer

Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_hunter View Post
I too just love my Vaquero. Like others replaced the windshield right away with a Cee Bailey 9". If your making a deal, try and get them to throw in the aux. driving lights for free, and while they got it apart they might as well throw in aux. cig. lighter plug. Other then that, enjoy and don't be afraid to pull the trigger.
Thank you! I'm happy to see alot of happy owners!!!
Good points! We can try, but right now I think the negotiations between hubby and salesman are dealing with the extended warranty. I'll mention your suggestions too! It can't hurt, right?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #14

Thank you for your very informative post!!!! I really am interested in what others think after purchasing and riding one. I will get in touch with "RACNRAY" and ask him about the throttle fix, thank you!!!!

Your Vaquero is STUNNING!!!! WOW!!! It makes me drool!!! I can see that turning alot of heads on the highway!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I’ve ridden motorcycles for years now, I’ve been riding a track dedicated Yamaha R1 for the last several seasons but when I decided to start street riding again in addition to my track riding I researched everything in the large V-twin category and decided on the Vaquero and I have absolutely no regrets in buying it. This thing is a beast and rides and performs extremely well, I’d wanted a V-twin for a street bike as I like the ‘loping’ feel to the engine, the Vaquero is no R1 superbike but pulls strong, and even with the stock intakes, exhaust, and rubber performs very well, you don't have to change a thing if you don't wish to...

I have but one minor complaint and this comes more from years of sportbikes and track racing than a true issue with the Vaquero, the Vaquero does exhibit a slight delay/lag in throttle response at small throttle openings which I find disconcerting, I'm used to immediate response, but ‘RACNRAY’ here on the forums has developed a fix and I’ll be using his modified throttle tube and solve that problem.

This bike has gotten a great many compliments wherever I go and don’t let the size fool you, she handles and performs well. I’m partial to liter bike performance and handling but the Vaquero sheds her weight when she starts moving and really provides a spirited yet stable ride with predictable handling, I can hustle her through tight turns and sweepers with ease… luckily the floorboards have replaceable ‘feelers’…

I think the biggest 'problem' I see is some owners trying to make the Vaquero something it's not, I see it designed as a solo rider alternative to the Voyager, a 'muscle bike' type of attitude and stance. If that's what you like, the Vaquero can't be beat...

Edit: I should have mentioned I did upgrade to the Cee Baileys 11" dark grey windscreen, it really diminished wind turbulence. I do intend to upgrade the intake to a Thunder, the EFI to a Cobra and the exhaust to V&H, not because it's necessary but because I like buying my motorcycles toys! In addition to the RacnRay throttle tube mod I plan on adding the Kawasaki driving lights, I like the look...

This thread needs a pic!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl View Post
I just traded in my 2008 nomad on a new vaquero (green / black) a few weeks ago. I absolutely love this bike and I think you'll have a hard time trying to find any reason to regret making the trade. Like others have already said, the stock windscreen /shield is a joke. I just ordered a taller shield for mine a couple of nights ago.
Make the trade, you'll be glad you did.
You got the green one!!! How pretty! Glad you are so pleased with the bike!!!! I will start shopping ahead today for the new windshield!!!! Thank you!