Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #1

Stereo wiring for fairing?

I am looking at getting the reckless fairing without the stereo, I priced speakers/stereo/amp and it came out to be quite a bit less that the with stereo price. The problem I am facing is that it doesn't seem many do this and using the search here and google I can't quite find what I am looking for. I want to know what kind of wiring am I looking at if I do it on my own, I already have 4 power wires ready to go but will I have to solder them in to a stereo harness or can I wire it myself? If you have pictures laying around of the inside of your reckless I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

2012 Nomad 1700
VBA #02021
VROC #34848

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #2

Chuck Smith has an amp and wired it himself. He answered a ton of questions when I did mine.

Last edited by rustyford; 04-13-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey405 View Post
I am looking at getting the reckless fairing without the stereo, I priced speakers/stereo/amp and it came out to be quite a bit less that the with stereo price. The problem I am facing is that it doesn't seem many do this and using the search here and google I can't quite find what I am looking for. I want to know what kind of wiring am I looking at if I do it on my own, I already have 4 power wires ready to go but will I have to solder them in to a stereo harness or can I wire it myself? If you have pictures laying around of the inside of your reckless I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
For just a stereo, you need 2 sources of power - one constant to retain the clock and station memory and one switched power to power the unit. An aftermarket stereo will come with a wiring harness that plugs into the back of the unit. You connect power and speaker wires to this.

What I and many others have done (I had a Reckless fairing on my old Nomad) is use a trailer wiring connector to allow for quick disconnection to remove the fairing.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
For just a stereo, you need 2 sources of power - one constant to retain the clock and station memory and one switched power to power the unit. An aftermarket stereo will come with a wiring harness that plugs into the back of the unit. You connect power and speaker wires to this.

What I and many others have done (I had a Reckless fairing on my old Nomad) is use a trailer wiring connector to allow for quick disconnection to remove the fairing.
So I could ideally run one wire from my fuse block (switched) and one from the accessory plug just hanging out by my battery? The trailer wire, are you talking about the 2 prong one that tenders also use? Thanks for the replies, I am already forming a game plan, I have never replaced a stereo before so the backside of them is foreign to me.

2012 Nomad 1700
VBA #02021
VROC #34848

Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey405 View Post
So I could ideally run one wire from my fuse block (switched) and one from the accessory plug just hanging out by my battery? The trailer wire, are you talking about the 2 prong one that tenders also use? Thanks for the replies, I am already forming a game plan, I have never replaced a stereo before so the backside of them is foreign to me.
A lot of people install other accessories in their fairings, like 12 volt outlets, controls for driving lights, etc. If you've got a 1600, you also have an accessory plug in the headlight bucket that is 12v constant. I tend to look to the future, so I always design in excess capacity in my projects because it's easier to wire it at the start than to have to go back later and redo it. Trailer connectors come in a variety of configurations and they are weather-resistant.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #6

I don't think it's as hard as you may imagine. The wiring guide on your stereo will show which wires are which. If you don't care about a clock on your stereo or preset stations, you shouldn't have to worry about a constant power source. When I install my fairing(sometime in the future) and stereo, it will probably only be used for the iPod. That way you could wire it up to just come on when the bike is on.

By the way, thanks for your service.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Couple of shots of the wire harness inside the fairing. The entire harness connects to a bulkhead fitting on the underside where it meets the harness from the bike. Right now I have that connector and one other that feeds my gauges. So, the fairing inner section can be removed from the bike with only the two connectors showing.

Last edited by voyager; 04-15-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #8

Awesome! Thanks everyone, got exactly what I was looking for.

2012 Nomad 1700
VBA #02021
VROC #34848