Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #16

I too looked at the Strat and bought a left over 08 Nomad. What sold me on the Nomad at the time was It had more accessories stock than the Strat. That was in 09.

Today I would probably by a Victory Cross Country Tour.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I was reading one of my magazines last night and they compared a Strat S to a Road King and a Victory (I can't remember which mag because I get so many). All the testers said the Strat had the most power, but it doesn't have ABS (the others did), no cruise control (the others did), 5 speeds (the other have 6) and it was the loudest of all 3 and had the smallest fuel tank.

It just doesn't sound to me like it's ideal for touring. I don't consider any of the 3 bikes tested to be true touring machines.

Motorcycle Cruiser? Depends on the Victory and HD, but your point is taken or the article's point. I remember reading it as well.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Motorcycle Cruiser? Depends on the Victory and HD, but your point is taken or the article's point. I remember reading it as well.
Yeah, I think that was it. I didn't want to say if I wasn't sure. I was thinking either Motorcycle Cruiser or Baggers.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
Advanced Member

Quote:
Have you considered other touring rigs, like HD or Victory? They offer everything the Voyager does, but are better executed and your wife might like them better. With the pricing difference narrowing, the cost differences man less. The 2012 Voyager lists for 18,999, which is basically 19K. For a few thousand more you could have a better executed bike that has better range and possibly a few more goodies, like the QD top case on the XCT as well as heated grips and seats too.

For me a frame mounted fairing was a necessity because of the superior ride it provides. I looked at the Goldwing, Vision, Road Glide Ultra, and the Voyager. I felt that the Voyager provided the largest bang for the buck over the other choices and it was actually the least expensive once you equipped the others with everything the Voyager comes with.

It sure is great that there are so many different bikes out there for us to choose from.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 02-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
For me a frame mounted fairing was a necessity because of the superior ride it provides. I looked at the Goldwing, Vision, Road Glide Ultra, and the Voyager. I felt that the Voyager provided the largest bang for the buck over the other choices and it was actually the least expensive once you equipped the others with everything the Voyager comes with.

It sure is great that there are so many different bikes out there for us to choose from.
I doubt the Voyager is the best equipped out of the bikes listed. Best bargain for sure, but not best equipped.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
I have a good friend with a Strat. The passenger seat sucks, but He did replace the stock seats with an Ultimate seat combo with a driver's backrest, and now the passenger seat is is very nice. I have ridden the new (2011) Voyager and Vaquero and they are considerably more cramped than the Strat. The Strat has A LOT more power, and it handles better than either the Voyager or Vaquero (IMHO). I love my 1600 Nomad, but when it comes time to replace it, 1st on my short list is the Stratoliner Deluxe. If I do go that route, I would keep my HD Ultra Classic trunk, and put it on the Strat. Here's a photo of another guy's Deluxe, it still has the stock seats, and a VIP trunk on it, but it does look pretty darn good.

It would look better if the guy didn't hang a cheap plastic trunk on an $18000 bike. That kind of ruins the effect.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Quote:
I doubt the Voyager is the best equipped out of the bikes listed. Best bargain for sure, but not best equipped.

I didn't say it was the best equipped, I said it was the least expensive once you equipped the other bikes the same. In fact it is thousands less.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I didn't say it was the best equipped, I said it was the least expensive once you equipped the other bikes the same. In fact it is thousands less.
That is backwards statement as the voyager isn't equipped as well as some of the others. You can't compare item for item as you can't remove things that come standard on the others. There's a reason the Voyager is the cheapest or to put it another way, there are two classes of touring bikes: Those over 20K and those under. For touring rigs under 20K the Voyager is king.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Last edited by ponch; 02-10-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is backwards statement as the voyager isn't equipped as well as some of the others. You can't compare item for item as you can't remove things that come standard on the others. There's a reason the Voyager is the cheapest or to put it another way, there are two classes of touring bikes: Those over 20K and those under. For touring rigs under 20K the Voyager is king.
I'm not talking about removing anything from the other bikes. Not sure where you are coming from. My Voyager equipped the same as the other bikes which buy the way didn't come with everything standard in 2010 was $5000 less money. Whatever. Go ride your BMW with your high vis jacket and roadcrafter suit, and look down you nose at Kawasaki on a Kawasaki based forum. Whatever.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I'm not talking about removing anything from the other bikes. Not sure where you are coming from. My Voyager equipped the same as the other bikes which buy the way didn't come with everything standard in 2010 was $5000 less money. Whatever. Go ride your BMW with your high vis jacket and roadcrafter suit, and look down you nose at Kawasaki on a Kawasaki based forum. Whatever.
I don't wear hi viz or a roadcrafter. If I had a little more change, I'd have another bike that wasn't a BMW. I could only keep one and the Nomad lost.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Jim, the over $20K touring models take a jump in price, I think they start at $25K. To me you have the under $20K and the over $25K. For the extra money there should be a difference in material thickness and quality of workmanship. I've seen some HD's that the price was in the $35K range. I can't afford that price range. Under $20K is where I would be looking. And if I was to be looking for a touring model I would seriously be sitting on a Voyager. I happen to like the Vaquero better, but that's just me.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #27

My buddy uses his Strat for touring and loves it. He likes the power and looks. I say good for him. loves his bike.

Kawasaki has made a nice niche in offering a good value, reliable, decent looking bikes in a price point 15-20% below HD and Victory. I am not talking about MSRP to MSRP. You need to take the amount each is willing to discount into consideration as well.

It is not to say one is better than the other. It is like Toyota vs. BMW cars. Some people value affordibality over looks or high performance. Toyota makes good cars that look nice (but not in BMW's class), are reliable, low cost of ownership at a fair price. BMW's offer performance, a few extra gadgets, and better looks at a higher price.

It is just a choice that people make and to each his own.

I prefer Toyotas and Kawaski's, someone else might prefer BMW cars and HD. No big deal.

You might prefer a new HD and I might prefer a new Kawasaki because I save $3000 and spend less on maint/repairs. The Kawasaki paint, variety of accessories, and looks might not be as good but the those are some reasons for the price difference.

It cracks me up when I read comparisons on stuff and the final result is the reviewers pick is the most expensive item. Of couse it is............ you get what you pay for in most cases. A fair comparison takes all factors into account, including the cost difference.

Last edited by schoeney; 02-11-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Jim, the over $20K touring models take a jump in price, I think they start at $25K. To me you have the under $20K and the over $25K. For the extra money there should be a difference in material thickness and quality of workmanship. I've seen some HD's that the price was in the $35K range. I can't afford that price range. Under $20K is where I would be looking. And if I was to be looking for a touring model I would seriously be sitting on a Voyager. I happen to like the Vaquero better, but that's just me.
I think the XCT is 21K and the Ultra is 22K. The Goldwing can be anywhere from 22-28K and the BMW GTL is 25-27K. I don't know what the Vision is, but it must be in the low to mid 20's. The Vaquero is a light tourer. If it had a trunk and a good 2 up seat, it could be a tourer, but then it would be a Voyager with different bags. The HDs that are in the 30's are CVO's. They have 110" engines, more chrome and options. I'd pass too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Last edited by ponch; 02-11-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
My buddy uses his Strat for touring and loves it. He likes the power and looks. I say good for him. loves his bike.

Kawasaki has made a nice niche in offering a good value, reliable, decent looking bikes in a price point 15-20% below HD and Victory. I am not talking about MSRP to MSRP. You need to take the amount each is willing to discount into consideration as well.

It is not to say one is better than the other. It is like Toyota vs. BMW cars. Some people value affordibality over looks or high performance. Toyota makes good cars that look nice (but not in BMW's class), are reliable, low cost of ownership at a fair price. BMW's offer performance, a few extra gadgets, and better looks at a higher price.

It is just a choice that people make and to each his own.

I prefer Toyotas and Kawaski's, someone else might prefer BMW cars and HD. No big deal.

You might prefer a new HD and I might prefer a new Kawasaki because I save $3000 and spend less on maint/repairs. The Kawasaki paint, variety of accessories, and looks might not be as good but the those are some reasons for the price difference.

It cracks me up when I read comparisons on stuff and the final result is the reviewers pick is the most expensive item. Of couse it is............ you get what you pay for in most cases. A fair comparison takes all factors into account, including the cost difference.
It all depends. I always wanted a BMW, so I got one. If I could have kept the Nomad, I would have and if I got a second bike, it wouldn't be a BMW. I don't know if I'd get a Nomad, but if the Vaquero had ABS, it would make a nice #2. Unfortunately, my wife put her foot down and said I could have one or the other.

As far as cars go, I've had good luck with VW. Bimmers are good cars too, but like my bike, fixing it can get expensive out of warranty if something does go awry. Don't get me started on GM....
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I think the XCT is 21K and the Ultra is 22K. The Goldwing can be anywhere from 22-28K and the BMW GTL is 25-27K. I don't know what the Vision is, but it must be in the low to mid 20's. The Vaquero is a light tourer. If it had a trunk and a good 2 up seat, it could be a tourer, but then it would be a Voyager with different bags. The HDs that are in the 30's are CVO's. They have 110" engines, more chrome and options. I'd pass too.
I just looked those bikes prices up, and you are correct. The ones I see or the ones my friends have bought aren't that low in price. must be some add-ons on them.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]