Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
"enough to put most right-minded people back on bike-specific rubber"

LOL!! I think most people would say that right-minded people don't ride motorcycles.
+1 Right-minded people think anyone that rides a motorcycle is an "organ donor" waiting to happen.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #17

The one common argument by tire mfg's, mag writers, etc seems to be the rim seat is different which might allow for failure. I've never heard of a CT failing on a motorcycle rim. Does anyone actually know of or heard of this actually happening?

VBA #01922

Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Top Contributor

Well, there was this one guy who said his brother had a friend who knew someone back in college who's brother in law had a sister who's best friend said he had a problem. I forget his name.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
The one common argument by tire mfg's, mag writers, etc seems to be the rim seat is different which might allow for failure. I've never heard of a CT failing on a motorcycle rim. Does anyone actually know of or heard of this actually happening?
I would doubt that its ever happened. Have you ever tried taking one on or off?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchinguy View Post
The CT's actually seat better on the M/C rim than on the car rim. I wouldn't want to put a motorcycle tire on a car, that might not be safe. The "Old Timers" that were around when I was young ran CT's on their motorcycles before I was born. So where are the decades of "EXAMPLES" of people crashing their motorcycle due to the added traction/performance of a CT? The only difference from then till now is "There is a chance" that some POS lawyer might sue somebody.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
. . .
I have had conversations with CT guys who tell me that you do notice a difference compared to running a MT. They tell me that it takes a little more pressure on the bars to drop into a turn and constant pressure to hold it there. They tell me that irregularities in the road surface tend to push the bike around so you have to stay on your toes. Of course there are Motorcycle tires with blocky tread patterns and a single groove running down the center that are affected by road surface as well. . .
The difference in counter steering is there, but hard to explain. Depending on how "deep" the corner is, it's sort of a +, ++, =, - sort of thing. It's not bad, just different. It's comparable to the differences in handling between models. I've had several motorcycles, NONE of them ride the same as a different model. I test rode 4 different H-D models before I bought my Nomad. Again, all of them handle different.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #22

I have heard both sides of the debate and don't know enough about motorcycle dynamics to form my own opinion... what keeps me from even considering darksiding are two things: 1) I would have to install the car tire myself because no shop around here will do it; and 2) (this is the big one) insurance won't cover me if I have an accident with a car tire on the bike.

The only advice I could offer to anyone considering darksiding is to check with their insurance carrier first. I use Progressive... they say absolutely no!

VBA #01926
VROC #34332

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #23

Did you go online to ask or did you talk to a agent who handles Progressive

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger J View Post
I have heard both sides of the debate and don't know enough about motorcycle dynamics to form my own opinion... what keeps me from even considering darksiding are two things: 1) I would have to install the car tire myself because no shop around here will do it; and 2) (this is the big one) insurance won't cover me if I have an accident with a car tire on the bike.

The only advice I could offer to anyone considering darksiding is to check with their insurance carrier first. I use Progressive... they say absolutely no!
I'd just get a different carrier. Some carriers don't insure motorcycles at all. Does that mean you'll quit riding?

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #25
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I wouldn't even consider putting a car tire on a sport bike. It works on a cruiser/tourer, but sport bikes are ridden differently.
I guess that's my problem. I don't ride my bike differently

I take the same lines on the tourer as I do on sport oriented bikes.

I end up upgrading the suspension on my touring bikes so they end up with a sportier ride.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger J View Post

I use Dairyland now, but before, I had progressive, and they told me the same thing as Dairyland, as long as it is a DOT approved tire, with the DOT stamp on the sidewall, it will be covered.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
I use Dairyland now, but before, I had progressive, and they told me the same thing as Dairyland, as long as it is a DOT approved tire, with the DOT stamp on the sidewall, it will be covered.
This has been talked about before... with one of our members being an insurance guy. He said this same statement. As long as it's DOT approved, it would be covered. Last time I checked, car tires were DOT approved.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Two years ago at a VROC rally several of us were having a discussion on CT's. Well, another person who claimed he wrote for motorcycle magazines poked his nose in and claimed that motorcycles have never run on car tires and that he knew the history of motorcycle's. We politely told him to check his history as in the past there were no such things as motorcycle specific tires.

CT's are not for everyone but they are for some. Too each his own.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I guess that's my problem. I don't ride my bike differently

I take the same lines on the tourer as I do on sport oriented bikes.

I end up upgrading the suspension on my touring bikes so they end up with a sportier ride.
I have a 205/60-16 CT and still ride my Nomad pretty "sporty" at times. It actually does much better at it with the CT.

I think the reason most sport bikes don't Dark Side is the different rim size makes it hard to cross match sizes.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #30

Thanks everyone for the input, and the offer to test ride your's Monkeyman once you go there (I hope that fairing is on by then too :)). I am really torn to give it a try the first time I need to replace, we shall see as I am sure this will be needed this summer sometime.

I read everything posted about CT / darkside, and posted this thread as someone had an opinion and I wondered what some of you who have gone CT had to say in response to it.

On a side note, I posted the exact same post on another forum at the same time I started this thread, had one reply before at some point the thread was locked. I also received a message from an admin, telling me I was given an "infraction" and points due to trolling and firestarting. wow, really???? I really thought I stated right off that I was on the fence, and here was an opinion below.... I think we are all still entitled to those, like em or not.

Anyway, I apologized and expressed that was not my intent at all, and even pointed out that I started same thread here and had 2 pages of helpful info... and again I thank you all for that. Rgardless, I thought I better warn wompus DO NOT post his gay guy / black guy joke over there.... LOL

Ride on, regardless of what tires you are on.

Bob

VBA #01898