Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 AM   #16
Top Contributor

You want to look for a '98 or newer Electra Glide fairing. You'll need the inner and outer fairings plus a windshield. As ring said, if they're cracked or the mounting tabs are broken, walk away. There are too many cheap ones out there that only have surface scratches to try to fix major cracks or reattach mounting tabs. (The inner and outer screw into each other). Here's what you want to look for.

I think Chuckster is making the brackets for around $85. Hell of a steal as they're custom made. I've bought a couple of his other products and his quality is top notch. You'll have to trim the lower portion (where the inner goes around the forks) slightly but easy enough if you have a piece of tape and a Dremel.

There's a write up on Gadgets page. Disregard all the "cut here, measure there, notch this or that" portion. It's my understanding that once you make a couple straight cuts, it bolts right on (with Chucksters brackets, of course).

Also as ring said, since it has the cutouts for 6 gauges, stereo and speakers, you'll either need to add them or fill in the holes. The 2 big holes in the middle are for the HD speedo and tach and the other 4 smaller holes are for stuff like head temp, oil pressure, ambient air temp, etc. They're generic size holes so you can add the aftermarket gauges of your choosing. The speakers are either 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" so that's a generic size. There are hundreds of different speakers that will fit. The hole for the stereo will accept a standard DIN size radio. You might have to fab some basic brackets but that's easy.

If you go this route, I'd email Chuckster to verify the cost of his brackets to your door as shipping may vary, you living in the UK.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
You want to look for a '98 or newer Electra Glide fairing. You'll need the inner and outer fairings plus a windshield. As ring said, if they're cracked or the mounting tabs are broken, walk away. There are too many cheap ones out there that only have surface scratches to try to fix major cracks or reattach mounting tabs. (The inner and outer screw into each other). Here's what you want to look for.

I think Chuckster is making the brackets for around $85. Hell of a steal as they're custom made. I've bought a couple of his other products and his quality is top notch. You'll have to trim the lower portion (where the inner goes around the forks) slightly but easy enough if you have a piece of tape and a Dremel.

There's a write up on Gadgets page. Disregard all the "cut here, measure there, notch this or that" portion. It's my understanding that once you make a couple straight cuts, it bolts right on (with Chucksters brackets, of course).

Also as ring said, since it has the cutouts for 6 gauges, stereo and speakers, you'll either need to add them or fill in the holes. The 2 big holes in the middle are for the HD speedo and tach and the other 4 smaller holes are for stuff like head temp, oil pressure, ambient air temp, etc. They're generic size holes so you can add the aftermarket gauges of your choosing. The speakers are either 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" so that's a generic size. There are hundreds of different speakers that will fit. The hole for the stereo will accept a standard DIN size radio. You might have to fab some basic brackets but that's easy.

If you go this route, I'd email Chuckster to verify the cost of his brackets to your door as shipping may vary, you living in the UK.

Thanks a bunch Monkeyman! That's some invaluable info there.

Just one thing though, I don't live in the "UK"!

(Here follows a mini guide which I hope some might find useful! I am not condescending as I know a lot of you will know as much or more than I do!)
I know its confusing but I live in the Republic of Ireland also known as "The South" which is on the island of Ireland, with the northern part of the Island called Northern Ireland or "The North" and which is controlled by the UK (or Great Britain).
It is correct however to say Ireland is in the British Isles although nobody wants to hear this said (even though its true) as it annoys many southerners but the UK is a political term and not acceptable at all by Republicans north or south.
Personally I find it a minefield altogether and that's before I even mention Catholics and Protestants, the paramilitary groups, Sinn Fein, The Unionists, the Orange order etc etc It would take years to learn it all.
If you said that Ireland is in the UK to the wrong person around where I live you would get a lesson in geography you wouldn't forget in a hurry!

Thank God for Guinness and Jamesons is all I have to say

VBA #1912

2003 1500 Nomad
2007 HD Heritage Ultra

Carpe Diem!

Last edited by Caddyman; 01-15-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
Top Contributor

Well, wherever you live, you should still contact Chuckster to see what it would cost for the brackets as it will undoubtedly cost a bit more due to shipping.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Well, wherever you live, you should still contact Chuckster to see what it would cost for the brackets as it will undoubtedly cost a bit more due to shipping.
I got a price from reckless of $135 to ship one of their fairings which I thought wasn't too bad but I will get a price from Chuckster.
It looks like its down to the reckless or HD fairing! I wish I had the budget for the premeux fairing but as the bike is now 9 years old I can't justify it. My only concerns are that some people who got the reckless fairing seem to have to do quite a bit of adjusting to make them fit then again the HD fairing needs adjusting too and then there are all those holes that need to be filled with gauges which is more time, expense and hassle but would probably look the best when done! Decisions decisions

VBA #1912

2003 1500 Nomad
2007 HD Heritage Ultra

Carpe Diem!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #20

Caddyman

Many of us draw the same lines between North and South over here as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #21

Mine came with the HD fairing installed. I like it!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #22

Quote:
I don't know what fairing that is, but it's not a HD.

Those are the pics of my Premeux Fairing, with the new gauges and stereo I installed. I added the gauges because it looked too plain and empty with just the stereo and speakers.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Thats really too bad, I think they were really meant for Nomads.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyman View Post
I got a price from reckless of $135 to ship one of their fairings which I thought wasn't too bad but I will get a price from Chuckster.
It looks like its down to the reckless or HD fairing! I wish I had the budget for the premeux fairing but as the bike is now 9 years old I can't justify it. My only concerns are that some people who got the reckless fairing seem to have to do quite a bit of adjusting to make them fit then again the HD fairing needs adjusting too and then there are all those holes that need to be filled with gauges which is more time, expense and hassle but would probably look the best when done! Decisions decisions
I agree Caddyman, on a bike that age its hard to justify spending a lot of money. If I replace my fairing which was wrecked in my accident I'll be going with a HD fairing, mainly because of the look of the inner fairing. All the outers look the same regardless who makes them. Another thing to keep in mind is that the older HD & Premeux fairings have 5 1/4" speaker holes. All the new fairings have switched to 6 1/2" speakers. Id go with the larger ones since the speakers are more popular now as far as selection, and put out more sound.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Caddyman, Please change your address in your avatar to.
Republic of Ireland
"The South"
Independent of other nations
We haven't anything to do with the Red Coats
and their Union Jack.

I'm from the north, a yankee, independent and stubburn
no confederate flags flying here.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 01-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #26

I like my Reckless Fairing! I have a Radio Caddy (ABS Plastic) that I had on my RoyalStar TourerDeluxe before I traded it, it's okay but I prefer the Reckless over it.....
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #27

My 1600 had a fairing on when I got it. It's a Wide Open Plastics piece. Here's a link http://www.wideopencustom.com/Home/t...6/Default.aspx
Bare fairing w/o stereo and paint $750. With stereo no paint $850.
VBA #01944
Ride safe

Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #28

When Goose and I installed my Reckless every thing fit just right some of the guys like to center them up down the the 1/16th of a inch I have not measured mine but it looks great to me. Here are a pic or two of mine http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...d/DSC00850.jpg http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...m/DSC00869.jpg

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldridgekennedy View Post
Caddyman

Many of us draw the same lines between North and South over here as well.

Ah yes the ole North South divide! At least you had ONE war to settle it!
Over here we had the Good Friday Agreement and the paras put away their guns but they are still shooting each other in Northern Ireland!

VBA #1912

2003 1500 Nomad
2007 HD Heritage Ultra

Carpe Diem!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I think I am leaning the HD way myself!

VBA #1912

2003 1500 Nomad
2007 HD Heritage Ultra

Carpe Diem!