Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

Improving throttle response on the 1700's.

OK...I am finally have the time and am starting this thread to detail my mod to the 1700 Vulcans.

The 1700's utilize a fly-by-wire system where we are not directly connected to the butterfly plates in the throttle bodies.

In the first 1400 miles of owning my Vaquero i could tell there was a pretty obvious delay in the response of the engine vs. what my wrist was doing. In the break-in period i knew some of that was due to a tight engine, but once i got it over 1000 miles and started floggin it hard it loosened up even more, but the lag was still there. Being that i own and operate a performance m/c shop this lag was bothersome as on a daily basis we are making our customer skoots perform better, and this lag was just the opposite of what i wanted.

Having dealt with other fbw systems i knew that what the ecu was programmed to do is in many instances not what is best for performance. So when the skoot went up on the dyno for it's baseline runs and stage 1 of it's (many to come!) mods, one thing i was gonna document was this throttle lag.

I did a half throttle dyno run to document the performance at that throttle position. I then performed my modification to the throttle grip turning it into a "quick turn" throttle. That is, for every twist of the wrist there will be a correspondingly greater signal sent to the ecu, prompting it to open the butterflies quicker and further.

Upon start-up i could tell much better throttle response so that was promising. Performing the same 1/2 throttle dyno run the increase in performance was huge, more than i expected.

DYNO GRAPH...

Once the skoot was out on the road on it's first test ride the improvement was immediately noticed, as the same throttle input allowed for quicker acceleration. In normal riding i did not have to twist the throttle so aggressively to get the rate of acceleration that i wanted, and it was so nice to have almost instant acceleration from a standstill without having the cars behind me gettin too close.

A very simple mod that has made a huge improvement in an area of performance that was sorely needed. I have been working on skoots for 35 years and i still wonder why things like delaying performance is done, especially when a fix is made and the improvements are this good.

I am offering this mod to anyone seeking a perfomance improvement on the Vulcan 1700's ONLY, DOES NOT FIT the 2000. Any one interested can pm me for details.

Hope this clears up ANY and ALL concerns and provides the info to those who wiill benefit from it.

THANX
RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by RACNRAY; 05-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #2

throttle mod

HI RACNRAY,can i have this mod iam in Australia and would like to improve my 2010 voyager 1700,i will pay for the parts and shipping

Last edited by truckie; 09-27-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Ray, I've watched many forums modify the 2000 with resistors (butterflies don't offer full fuel in low gears) and over-riding the butterflies. since the 2000 is not fbw is you mod the same as the other forums have done to unleash full throttle from the get go??

A good idea would be to start a poll in the 1700 section on owners and their throttle response to see how prevelant this malady is with them!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #4

Hey ray I'm interested in your throttle mod Email details

Old 05-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
hey ray i'm interested in your throttle mod email details
pm & email sent

THANX

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by RACNRAY; 05-25-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Ray, just to clarify, because the dino sheet would tend to misslead folks into thinking that this particular mod has some how increased the HP and TQ output of the engine. It has not changed the amount of power the engine makes. What it has done is allow you to obtain a closer to Wide Open Throttle (WOT) condition after the throttle grip mod is made when you move the throttle gripthe same distance as when prior to the mod. I.E. 1/2 turn on grip before mod = 50% WOT, 1/2 turn on grip after mod = 75% WOT.
The second run reports more power because it is the the Throttle Grip that remains in the 1/2 position but the actual throttle is more that 50% open in the second run. That is what the mod does, it caused the throttle to open further with the same grip movement. Before and after the mod engine output at WOT is identical.

This mod improves driveability but it does not change engine out put. It's often a desirable mod because of driveability issues due to the throttle response "lag" like what many owners describe. Evaluate the desireability of the change on that basis.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Last edited by trosco; 05-25-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco View Post
Ray, just to clarify, because the dino sheet would tend to misslead folks into thinking that this particular mod has some how increased the HP and TQ output of the engine. It has not changed the amount of power the engine makes. What it has done is allow you to obtain a closer to Wide Open Throttle (WOT) condition after the throttle grip mod is made when you move the throttle gripthe same distance as when prior to the mod. I.E. 1/2 turn on grip before mod = 50% WOT, 1/2 turn on grip after mod = 75% WOT.
The second run reports more power because it is the the Throttle Grip that remains in the 1/2 position but the actual throttle is more that 50% open in the second run. That is what the mod does, it caused the throttle to open further with the same grip movement. Before and after the mod engine output at WOT is identical.

This mod improves driveability but it does not change engine out put. It's often a desirable mod because of driveability issues due to the throttle response "lag" like what many owners describe. Evaluate the desireability of the change on that basis.
UH,YEA. Simply put, for every degree of twist grip rotation there is an increase in throttle plate opening over stock operation. The dyno chart cannot mislead anyone, only a lack in the understanding of my explanation of the facts would occur, and that has certainly happened! These skoots are too darn heavy to have been "stiffled" by Kawi.

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 05-25-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

Please send me a pm

Old 06-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie View Post
HI RACNRAY,can i have this mod iam in Australia and would like to improve my 2010 voyager 1700,i will pay for the parts and shipping
You misunderstand, he is not offering this free.
He runs a performance scoot shop.
You may want to PM him for price.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordhunt View Post
Please send me a pm
pm sent.

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 06-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #11

I moved from South Florida (Fort Myers/Naples area) 2yrs ago to Colorado. I agree with everything you have demonstrated. The lack in throttle response is the one thing that bothers me about my Vaquero. I sent you a pm and interested on how you corrected the problem. I appreciate people like you who have the thought process why settle for less when you can have more. -Raymond

Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
I moved from South Florida (Fort Myers/Naples area) 2yrs ago to Colorado. I agree with everything you have demonstrated. The lack in throttle response is the one thing that bothers me about my Vaquero. I sent you a pm and interested on how you corrected the problem. I appreciate people like you who have the thought process why settle for less when you can have more. -Raymond
Got the pm's and good taliking to you. Thanx for the invite to Colorado, deffinately a place I would love to go.

RACNRAY

Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #13

Please send me a PM ref. throttle mod.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc3210 View Post
please send me a pm ref. Throttle mod.
pm sent

THANX

RACNRAY

Old 08-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #15

Throttle Response

Ray,
Send me a PM with the details.

And my bike has been at the shop since Monday with the backfiring and popping issue - informed them of your fixes and still waiting for them to get it done. At this point, since it is still under warranty, I am at the mercy of the Motorcycle Factory.

Thanks,
Toga

Last edited by Toga; 08-21-2013 at 01:20 PM.