Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #16

Throttle Modification For Nomad,Vaquero, Voyager

He machines a piece out of billet aluminum that is attached to the grip assembly. Install isn't hard and doesn't take to long. He installed mine because he wanted to make sure it would fit the kuryakan grips. The mod works really good. I want to make it clear it doesn't add any extra HP. It allows you to use what you have in the lower rpm range 0-3k. Here is the link to the other forum for some reason it didn't appear in my 1st post. http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19978 I know most members here own 1500/1600 bikes. I just wanted to let those with newer ones know about this.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #17

I still have no idea what this mod is, closest I figure is some type of throttle rocker. Could you post some pics that may show exactly what it is and does?
I looked at the othe sight and it was five pages of nothing but smoke and mirrors about what it is.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #18

I think it is a secret.
He has a mod he wants to keep to himself so no one else can do it.
That way you have to go to him to have it done.
It only works on 1700's.
That's what I have gotten from the posts so far.
I have a 1600 so I don't really care.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #19

FIRST OF ALL...for anyone that did not read my intro in the welcome forum, here is the link. I hope that those that read it will learn a bit of where i come from.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...=24069&start=0

SECOND... My shop has a reputation of honesty, integrity and quality of workmanship, to the extent that we ARE the only shop in South Florida that has the priviledge of sponsoring 2 Florida based m/c websites, SouthFloridasportbikes.com and FloridSportBikers.com. On both sites i have my own technical forums where i answer questions and give advice to the forum members. This is an honor i do not take lightly.

Here is my post from those websites giving thanx for all the support i have gotten thru the years and a little history...

THREE AND A HALF DECADES AGO...

YEP, that's right, 35 years ago this month i started my career in the South Florida m/c business. At 18 years old and just a few months outa high school I started working at a local Kawasaki dealer.

Let me back up a bit. My dad was a heavy equiptment mechanic and always had projects as i was growing up. Restoring a 1936 Dodge, a Harley Servi-car, my grandparents 1955 Chevy, so i was always exposed to the mechanical stuff. He started working at a shop where there were a bunch of bikers that helped to rekindle his long put away love for skoots and he eventully brought home a 1973 Suzuki TS125 enduro in December 1973. I still remember him pulling up with that bright red skoot in the back of his worktruck, how excited we all were, cept mom of course.

When it came time for me to learn how to ride, it took over 2 hours of trying to get that thing to move even 2 feet, boy dad's patience was tried that day!! That skoot led to another one so we could ride together, then i got my own mxer and started racing. Dad eventually got into streetbikes and bought a BMW from that Kawi dealer. The owner and my dad struck up a friendship and one day while they were chatting the owner mentioned he needed a kid to come in and do the gopherthis/gopherthat stuff. My dad said he would tell me, and when he did i went in for an interview, which i was hired. I was working at a foriegn car repair shop at the time and was excited and kinda scared at the same time to make a change. I gave my boss two weeks notice, which pretty much ended up being the longest 2 weeks of my life!

I left the car shop on Friday and my first day at the dealership was the very next day. I can't remeber all the stuff that went on, most likely my duties to keep up the place, but the one thing that stands out I will NEVER forget!

Besides coming in the morning, pushing all the skoots out(then back in at the end of the day), sweeping the whole dealership, cleaning the bathrooms, putting paper towels and tp in them, cleaning all the glass windows up fromt and between the showroom and service dept., epmtying all the garbage cans, and the previously mentioned gopher duties, my main job was to assemble bikes.

Back then the skoots were highly disassembled and put into wooden crates. On my first day eventually i was given the task of assembling a 1976 KZ900. I had to be taught everything on how to remove the cardboard covering, break apart the wooden crate without , uh, breaking anything else, and then assembling the skoot. Once i got the crate broken away and removed the plastic sheeting, i stood there and was looking at the BIGGEST bike i had EVER seen, but it was missing alot of it's parts!!

No front wheel or fender, no handlebars, turn signals, tail lite, and all these boxes stuffed in all the nooks and crannies. The front forks were sitting in the bottom of the crate, how the hell was i gonna lift this thing up, much less figure out how to put all the missing parts on! I was a bit overwhelmed and i said to myself..."What am I getting myself into?!"

WELL...what i got myself into has been the most wonderful and rewarding journey i could EVER imagined. If someone told me that first Saturday i would someday own my own m/c shop and for it to have the reputation that we have of honesty and devotion to quality workmanship, it would have completely overwhelmed me!

Imagine what i have seen over 35 years, with the progresion of technology that most take for granted, but for an old timer like me it is a welcome change. The skoots back then were primitive as compared to what we have now so every day there is something new to learn.

I have to be one of the luckiest guys in the world to have combined my love and passion for skoots with earning my living working on them. I am not rich and never will be, struggling like everyone else. But the rewards i have recieved with the peeps i have met, the march of technology and enjoying working on our babies is priceless.

Dad did so much for me when he brought that TS125 home, and i will be forever grateful to him and to all that have supported me and Cycle Race Tek thru the years.

THANX TO ALL

RACNRAY

OK, now to address concerns i see in this thread. In riding my Vaquero i could tell there was a lag or delay between what i was doing with my wrist and how the skoot was responding. Knowing of throttle delays built in to other skoot's fly-by-wire (aka "fbw") systems i knew i needed to research into throttle response when I got the skoot up onto my dyno. Oh BTW, i have owned and operated my DynoJet Dyno since 1993 and it is a very important tool in my shop. So in my initial dyno testing it was when my thoughts on delayed throttle response was confirmed. The ECU does not open the throttle plates equal to throttle grip movement, especially in low rpm/part throttle operation. The next step was to perform the R&D to detirmine how i can make an improvement. Disassembly, measuring, fabricating and machining, fitting and checking for proper operation and function, and finally follow up dyno testing and road test evaluations. The results were what i wanted, maybe even a little bit better. I felt the same results as captj3 stated.

As time went on peeps that were following my performance and modification thread expressed interest in my mod, as many had felt the throttle lag and was not happy with it, so i responded to those requests by offering it for sale. captj3 was the first to have it installed, he brought his skoot in so we could do the install as he has ISO grips on and my mod had only been speced out for stock grips. No doubt you all have read his impression of the mod.

I did all the initial R&D, measuring, purchasing of materials (i actually already had the 6061-t6 aircraft aluminum in stock), fabrication, and follow up testing. In offering this to the public i can garrantee a performacne increase thru better throttle response and accelleration. I reserve the right to not post pics as i have worked very hard on this and in the interest of trying to protect one of the aspects of how i earn my living.

I garrantee to all who are interested in this mod that it works. It is not some "gimmick" but a well thought out mod done by a professional in a profeesional manner.

For those that want the specifics on ordering, let me know and i will be glad to pm or email the info.

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
I think it is a secret.
It only works on 1700's.
He manufactures and sells a product. He did the grunt work to engineer it and doesn't want people copying his design. Nothing wrong with that.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I think that should have been in the first post of this thread.

If you don't have a 1700...move along, nothing to see here.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #21

Wow, I never thought you guys would criticize and make comments like that. I have seen other threads here where nobody acted like that. Sorry I didn't hand over the blue prints to the product. I didn't know that was a prerequisite to starting a thread for something that works and would help others. I know that Trip (admin) for the site wanted to include Voyagers, Vaqueros, and the 1700 Nomad. So I thought it would be good to spread the news to those who don't frequent the other forum. Let me make this CLEAR I paid for the part and have nothing to do with it other than being a customer. The only thing I got out of the deal was something that works as described and made riding my nomad more enjoyable.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
I think it is a secret.
It only works on 1700's.
He manufactures and sells a product. He did the grunt work to engineer it and doesn't want people copying his design. Nothing wrong with that.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I think that should have been in the first post of this thread.

In my original post i thanked the customer for his input on the mod but did not advertise it. The first post was his experience with my mod, so he was simply stating an experience just as one might relay an experience with Corbin, Cobra, Dynojet, etc.

BTW, this mod works on 1600 Nomads and all years Vulcan 2000. There, i did some advertising.

RACNRAY

Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Ray it's just that the intro to this "gizmo" had all the trappings of a infomercial. Nobody knows the concept or what this gizmo looks like unless you order one from a 1 800# Get my drift? We don't doubt you have come up with something.

Skeptics? yes.... we've had plenty of new comers post and then run about a great web site and or product..just to get that info to us.

We have several very knowledgeable guys here who fab parts up when we ask for them. They come up with all types of stuff that are deficient designs by MaKaw.

An example is cam chain extenders. They are not available in the states. Joe, I believe, makes them and we know what it looks like and what it does but we don't have the manufacturing tools to make one so he makes them and sells them. But we know what it is....

Most of us are just honest Joe's that make no living on the Internet. We're here because we have Nomads in common. Most of us don't want to start our Amsoil distributorship either.

Again it's nothing personal to you. I don't believe I've heard that the fly by wire Kawasaki's have an issue with the throttle and if they did whats the remedy. At least the guys here who have 1700's haven't. Now if there is a design flaw and you know what it is and how to fix it that's cool. Members here that don't have the craftsmanship to fix things would gladly pay for your product. that's how we do business here.. Just sayin..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by captj3
Wow, I never thought you guys would criticize and make comments like that. I have seen other threads here where nobody acted like that. Sorry I didn't hand over the blue prints to the product. I didn't know that was a prerequisite to starting a thread for something that works and would help others. I know that Trip (admin) for the site wanted to include Voyagers, Vaqueros, and the 1700 Nomad. So I thought it would be good to spread the news to those who don't frequent the other forum. Let me make this CLEAR I paid for the part and have nothing to do with it other than being a customer. The only thing I got out of the deal was something that works as described and made riding my nomad more enjoyable.
THANK YOU...i too was wondering whey there was so much negativity.Hopefully someone from here will have this done and enjoy what we got out of it.

RACNRAY

Old 09-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #25

Quote:
I think it is a secret.

It only works on 1700's.
I really don't know what the problem is with my above post. ???
I see no criticism there. I basically said the same thing CJ said only I am not as eloquent. I just put it out there like I see it.
The guy did all the R&D and fabricating and wants to profit from that, that is fine with me. That is how the system is supposed to work.
If anyone read criticism into that, I am sorry.
I have a 1600 so there is nothing here for me to see, moving on
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY
Quote:

In my original post i thanked the customer for his input on the mod but did not advertise it. The first post was his experience with my mod, so he was simply stating an experience just as one might relay an experience with Corbin, Cobra, Dynojet, etc.

BTW, this mod works on 1600 Nomads and all years Vulcan 2000. There, i did some advertising.

RACNRAY
OK RACNRAY...please don't take anything on this forum to seriously..we joke and pick at each other a lot..no harm intended.

You state above that your "Mod" will work on a 1600, I'd like to know more about this as the 1600 is not "FBW".

We have no interest in coping your hard work, in fact we support all members who come up with a good idea and try to help them protect their intellectual property. However this forum is about sharing information not stating issues without details.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 09-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #27
Mega-Contributor

I thought I was defending Racnray? ???
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I thought I was defending Racnray? ???
You own a purple HD, its easy to see you can get confused...
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #29
Mega-Contributor

Oh, now why did you have to go and say that? They laughed at Galileo, they laughed at Nikola Tesla, people mock what they don't understand. ::)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 09-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Oh, now why did you have to go and say that? They laughed at Galileo, they laughed at Nikola Tesla, people mock what they don't understand. ::)
I just had to look it up.

Because of his eccentric personality and his seemingly unbelievable and sometimes bizarre claims about possible scientific and technological developments, Tesla was ultimately ostracized and regarded as a mad scientist by many late in his life. Tesla died with little money at the age of 86 in a hotel suite in New York City.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]