Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #31

I guess it was my turn (New w/pics)

Sorry to hear about your crash CJ. Glad you are alright. If you need any help with anything let me know.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #32
Advanced Member

CJ,

Just saw the pics. Considering how bad your accident was, I think the bike came out of it pretty well. It's just a shame that the front crash bar just folds back, though. Not like the old bikes and their crash bars, they didn't fold.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 03-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #33
Advanced Member

Just saw the pictures, was expecting it to be a lot worse (although to you it is pretty bad I imagine as it's your baby).

So the crash bars did there job. ground the front down more than I would have thought? How far to you estimate the bike slide?
And wow, no damage to the tank? or much to saddlebags? except for the handle (which is a replaceable part thankfully).
So it's mostly chrome parts and the fairing? It the inner damaged? or just the front? from the first pic looks like the inner is bent back?
And new driving lights and pegs.
Still it will add up quick!!! all those parts and PAINT aren't cheap, but at the very least it's fixable without a lot of down time (except for the fairing) the other parts can be removed and replaced as soon as arrive.
But as stated the first time I posted, if your OK then that is all that really matters. Bike kept you from serious harm so it did it's job too!!!

Speedy quick recover for you(aches and pains) and your beloved steed!!!!

Scott

Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #34

Just checked out the pics CJ. As you say bike does not look too bad, but the cost of parts does add up fast. It does look like the crash bars took a real beating judging by how much is ground off.
Again, hope both you and the bike get past this quickly.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #35
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott (ve3hzz)
Just saw the pictures, was expecting it to be a lot worse (although to you it is pretty bad I imagine as it's your baby).

So the crash bars did there job. ground the front down more than I would have thought? How far to you estimate the bike slide?
And wow, no damage to the tank? or much to saddlebags? except for the handle (which is a replaceable part thankfully).
So it's mostly chrome parts and the fairing? It the inner damaged? or just the front? from the first pic looks like the inner is bent back?
Still it will add up quick!!! all those parts and PAINT aren't cheap, but at the very least it's fixable without a lot of down time (except for the fairing) the other parts can be removed and replaced as soon as arrive.
But as stated the first time I posted, if your OK then that is all that really matters. Bike kept you from serious harm so it did it's job too!!!

Scott
The bike slid a good 50-60 feet. The tank is dented, I assume the handlebar hit it. I can't tell if the bars are bent. though.

Luckily, the tank and fairing are the only big ticket items damaged. The bags and tourpak are fine, other than the handle on the RH bag.

I have been in touch with my insurance company and they are going to send an adjuster to the house in the next day or so. Then I'll have it transported to Kelly's Kawasaki in Mesa for repairs. Fortunately, I have custom equipment coverage on my policy to cover all the aftermarket items.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #36

Scott go over your bike with a fine tooth comb before the adjuster sees it. Make a list of all the damage that you find and make sure the adjuster has it all in his list. If the tank is dented something hit it and that was probably the handle bars which means they have been sprung and it could have damaged the top of the triple tree where the risers bolt on as that is just aluminum. Good luck with the adjuster and glad to hear you are doing OK.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #37
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott (ve3hzz)

Scott
The bike slid a good 50-60 feet. The tank is dented, I assume the handlebar hit it. I can't tell if the bars are bent. though.

Luckily, the tank and fairing are the only big ticket items damaged. The bags and tourpak are fine, other than the handle on the RH bag.

I have been in touch with my insurance company and they are going to send an adjuster to the house in the next day or so. Then I'll have it transported to Kelly's Kawasaki in Mesa for repairs. Fortunately, I have custom equipment coverage on my policy to cover all the aftermarket items.
WOW I thought it must have gone a ways as that bar is chewed up pretty good!!!
OH crap about the tank, hope they will replace and not try to FIX it? I've seen the FIX before and normally it's BONDO job depending on who does the work, some good some bad?
Glad they're getting on this quick for you as well. Also good you have the extra's covered. Reminds me to document (which I normally do) all the add ons I have on mine that have been done over the years. I don't want them wanting an appraisal done every couple of years as they do on some older cars now!!!! That gets expensive and ME who foots the bill. But it does bring up a good point that everyone who has a lot of items ADDED to there bikes document it and find out what is needed by their own insurance company if they ever put in a claim (which I hope no one else has to). Better to be fore warned and know what is expected then find out DURING!!!
Maybe that can be the one silver lining to this whole ordeal is it notifies us all to be vigilant about such things and make sure we are covered if anything like this happens.

Still the rider walked away and that's all the matters in the end.

Scott

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #38

Glad to hear you survived CJ. would like to know how your insurance Co. treats you and if you are satisfied with how thay handle your claim.

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 03-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #39

Glad you are up and moving sore I am sure hope they get your bike ready and you are ready for the National looking forward to meeting you.

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #40

Wow, it went for quite a slide. Actually it doesn't look all that bad in the pics. I think you were quite lucky in how things turned out.
Id check the handlebars and triple tree out pretty good for cracks and bends just to be safe.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to dabull

glad you are ok bro....hated to read this.....but now you can fix and paint it to the blue and silver paint scheme......you know you want to....

heal qwik bro

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #42

I am very very sorry to hear about this, Scott! This must have been after I text you about the Devil's Hwy.

Good luck getting things squared away!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #43

Just found this thread. I'm sorry this happened Scott. But any crash you can limp away from is a good one.
Heal up fast my friend.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #44

Glad your alright, bike can be fixed.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #45
Advanced Member

Great to see you ok.I see the crash bars did their job.That is why I recommend crash bars to everyone I ride with.