Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #16

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I also put some on my Nomad:

Pete
Pete where did you get your bars, size? What did you need to do with the cables for them to work?

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #17

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Bubba" Andreu
Jarad, you get a new bike yet? I see you posting looking for a lot of different ideas.

Just wondering...
Here is a cool, custom looking Nomad. Never seen anyone put spoked rims on a Nomad. Looks AWESOME!

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #18

Ape hangers on a Nomad

That wheel also looks like its at least a 19" wheel if not bigger.
it does look different for sure.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #19

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
That wheel also looks like its at least a 19" wheel if not bigger.
it does look different for sure.
It's a 21". The bike also looks like it has been lowered.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #20

Ape hangers on a Nomad

The wire wheel does look good. I like the look of the larger thinner front rim. Lace it up with some twisted stainless steel spokes and that looks bad a** to me. Wonder what the affect would be with the backrest and a windscreen?
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #21

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877

Pete where did you get your bars, size? What did you need to do with the cables for them to work?

DC
The attached files shows a better picture of the bars without the fairing. Also there is a list of the brake, clutch and throttle lines I bought from Phat Performance.

The only issue I have is with the front brake lines. The stock splitter block bolts to a bracket under the lower triple tree. The PP/Galfer line does not have a splitter the same configuration but I just zip tie it to the stock bracket.. not a big deal. The other issue is that the line going from the splitter to the right brake is about 2" too short. The left one is fine. When I put the bike on the lift, I have to remember to cut off the zip tie or the right line gets very tight. I kept meaning to let Galfer know but never got around to it. If I did it again, with these bars, I would get the front brake line from the lever to the splitter another 1" longer. When on the lift the whole line is just right with no slack.

One other thing I ran into when I installed the apes on my Shadow was that the grip section was not long enough to accommodate the Kury Iso grips and reservoir and mirrors mounts. The grips on bars from DK are plenty long. Something to keep in mind when you look at bars. Any 1" bar should work but make sure the center width at the riser clamps is wide enough.

Overall I really like the setup with the Phat II risers and the 13" bars but if I had to do it over, I would probably go with 11 or 12" bars or use the stock risers. I tried the stock risers but they wouldn't work with the fairing the way I have it set up. The 13" are as high as I feel comfortable but would recommend an 1" or so lower. I'm 6'-1" with a 32" inseam, if that helps.

Pete

Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #22

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Forgot the attachments.

Pete

Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #23

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877

DC
The attached files shows a better picture of the bars without the fairing. Also there is a list of the brake, clutch and throttle lines I bought from Phat Performance.

The only issue I have is with the front brake lines. The stock splitter block bolts to a bracket under the lower triple tree. The PP/Galfer line does not have a splitter the same configuration but I just zip tie it to the stock bracket.. not a big deal. The other issue is that the line going from the splitter to the right brake is about 2" too short. The left one is fine. When I put the bike on the lift, I have to remember to cut off the zip tie or the right line gets very tight. I kept meaning to let Galfer know but never got around to it. If I did it again, with these bars, I would get the front brake line from the lever to the splitter another 1" longer. When on the lift the whole line is just right with no slack.

One other thing I ran into when I installed the apes on my Shadow was that the grip section was not long enough to accommodate the Kury Iso grips and reservoir and mirrors mounts. The grips on bars from DK are plenty long. Something to keep in mind when you look at bars. Any 1" bar should work but make sure the center width at the riser clamps is wide enough.

Overall I really like the setup with the Phat II risers and the 13" bars but if I had to do it over, I would probably go with 11 or 12" bars or use the stock risers. I tried the stock risers but they wouldn't work with the fairing the way I have it set up. The 13" are as high as I feel comfortable but would recommend an 1" or so lower. I'm 6'-1" with a 32" inseam, if that helps.

Pete

There is the difference between mine and yours I used the 13" apes with the standard mounts which makes mine about the same height as the standard bars with the 4" risers. Also I have 1 1/4" bars I like the looks of the bigger bars.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #24

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbikers

There is the difference between mine and yours I used the 13" apes with the standard mounts which makes mine about the same height as the standard bars with the 4" risers. Also I have 1 1/4" bars I like the looks of the bigger bars.
Here's a link to another setup similar to mine. His bars were a little pricey for me, though. I'm surprised that the 13" with stock risers ended up the same height as the 4" with standard bars. From your sig pic, though, it sure looks like it, if is shows the 13" bar setup. Which bars did you install? I can see where they bigger bars would look pretty good.

http://nomad.eurekaboy.com/apehangers.htm

Pete

Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #25

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Quote:
Quote:

Pete

Did you have to replace any of you cables? How tight are they?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #26

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Did you have to replace any of you cables? How tight are they?[/quote]

Yes, the cables are longer. My next post includes the list of lines I ordered. About 6" longer than stock. Throttle cables and clutch are plenty long but the brake line could have been longer. See my post.

Pete

Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #27

Ape hangers on a Nomad

I bought mine on E-Bay they fit great the only thing I did was move the front brake line behind the triple tree instead of in front of it. If you think about it the stock bars have an 8" rise and if you add 4" risers you have 12" which is real close and then I leaned my back so they are about the same as the stock bars with risers I had to use them when I added the faring because the risers would not clear the marine cover for my radio.

Last edited by oldbikers; 09-27-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #28

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Ape hangers are cool and in fact, comfortable, too (for me. I rode Street Bobs with 13" bars).

Having said that I really like the stock set up.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #29

Ape hangers on a Nomad

Quote:
I had to use them when I added the faring because the risers would not clear the marine cover for my radio.
Yup, had the same problem on mine with the fairing. Edit... just saw your picture on the other thread. I misunderstood. I see what you mean now. I had the opposite problem, actually. I couldn't get the fairing to sit right with the stock risers for some reason But I keep my bars a lot more vertical which is where the problem came from I think.

For those that are curious and considering higher risers, the attached picture shows the difference between the Phat II's and the stock risers.

Pete

Old 09-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #30

I guess i'll throw myself into the debate. I just finished installing 13" chubbies on my 1500 Nomad -00 and I love 'em! The stock bars look good, but I'm really into the customized look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0076.jpg (94.2 KB, 115 views)