Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #16

Nico, Nico's wife and vulcanvixen in accident!

Don't like to hear news like this. Take it easy for awhile till you and Judi and Sue heal.
Everyone who rides a motorcycle will go down sooner or later. Don't beat yourself up to bad.
I know the feeling, you think man I screwed-up, I shoulda done this or I shouda done that but the truth is,there are some situations that nothing could have been done.
The only way to avoid going down on a bike is not to ride one.
I don't think any of us want to do that so.
Good luck in the healing process and hope to see you and the girls on the road in the near future.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #17

Hi Everybody......first, thanks for all your warm wishes and concern. You are all our "biker family" and its definitely consoling to hear from all of you.

Here's the latest.....My son picked Nico and I up from the ER and we got home around 3 am. Nico has cracked ribs and is in a lot of pain. He's got some road rash on his left arm/shoulder and left leg. He has not slept at all, yet, but is going to attempt getting some. Knowing him ----- FAT CHANCE!! I have a really severe bruise on my left hip/thigh - a hematoma about the size of a cantaloupe. Can't walk well, and can't raise/bend my left leg, so I'm hobbling around on crutches. There's road rash up and down my left arm, and bruises on my right. I'm the lucky one!!! Sue is still in the ER - they haven't admitted her to ICU yet - WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?!?!? She is now on oxygen and has blood pressure cuffs on her legs. Like Nico said, she is really the one who "took the fall" so to speak. So I guess we're in "wait and see" mode right now.

I was behind Nico and saw them spill out in front of me. When they went down, I braked too hard (in the hopes of stopping to run to their aid, and also to avoid hitting them) and my rear end fish-tailed, so that's how I went down.

AAA picked up both bikes - which started - but were really unrideable. Mine is blowing smoke from the exhaust pipes and the windshield is badly damaged. The fall pushed in my left roll bar and lifted the floorboard. Nico was able to pound it with a sledgehammer to get the floorboard to lower back down. His bike has a broken mirror, broken left saddlebag, and who knows what else.....his bike is covered completely in dirt since it slid thru the sand. I landed on pavement and only slid to the edge of the sand.

I'm temporarily stranded at home with no car since my son had a friend follow him in mine so it could be left at Nico's house for him to get to the hospital today. No doubt that's were most of the day will be spent, so we'll just have to work the logistics of picking me up so I can drive him. Don't need my left leg to drive, after all!!!

Anyway, I'm rambling now.....guess the Norcote I just took is kicking in!!! lol

Again, thank you all for your support. We'll keep you posted......

Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Free Tatoo Removal you say?? hmmmm Wonder what you could replace it with??

<marquee></marquee>

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #19
Top Contributor

That's way funny BD. Nico you might have to buy a new Nomad, you have an excuse.? Hoping all the best for you three to heal fast.

Doc

Old 08-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Wow, We are both hoping for speedy recoveries for all. As we all know, it only takes ONE second for things to get complicated.
Glad to hear the updates on all three members. We are all a family; warts and all!
Don & Donna
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #21

I'm fine Judi...

I like your idea BD.......

I like yours even better Doc!

You're absolutely right rfl.......

I slept for over an hour! Time for coffee :)

Thanks again guys.... will check in and keep you posted on Sue.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #22

Man I'm so glad everyone is ok I wish you and everyone a very fast recovery. Please keep us in the loop as info come avavilable. I just seen this post this morning after a very long almost 400 mile ride yesterday for us. You have been smited my friend :-)

P.S. Is your bike a complete loss?

Old 08-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #23
Top Contributor

Get some real rest when you get a chance Nico....heal up to take care of Sue when she gets home.

Judi, you rest up, take care of those scrapes and bruised and keep us posted....Easy on the Painkillers...Leftovers are always good for friends

You guys might have some serious shoppin' to do in the near future

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #24

"You guys might have some serious shoppin' to do in the near future "

Thats what I was thinking. ;)

Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #25

Thanks VC.... I don't think the Nomad is hurt too badly..... tweaked front fender, L side mirror snapped off...... L saddle bag cracked......rear tire flat (which has me wondering if my ingenious tire selection had a hand in this... BD?)

V V's starts too but smokes alot..... BD kinda explained what happened........

Heading to hospital soon......... ttfn :)

Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #26

Hmm, I'll Bet that put life in slow motion for a few seconds..... Nico, Sue, Judi, Please take care and may you all have a speedy recovery.
VBA #146

Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #27
Advanced Member

Not the post to I wanted sign on too first in the a.m. Nico,sue,judi our prayers are with you for a fast recovery, take your time and heal well.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #28
Sr. Contributor

I am glad everyone is ok and you can always get a new tattoo. I am guilty of not wearing enough protection. Part of it is finding something in my size, part of it cost. I always wear a full face though. So How is the bike?

Quote:
We love all you guys!

Judi and I both went home.... Judi has a bad bruise on her L hip swelled to the size of a watermelon... and some scrapes...she's ok..

Sue got the worst of it.... broken ribs, small pneumothorax, a small fracture of the spleen......and a fractured L wrist (radius) so they're keeping her for a couple days.

I've got a couple cracked ribs no doubt, but knowing there's nothing that can be done with that, I said I was fine.....

Also got a free tattoo removal on my L shoulder!!! ::)

The handlebars and crash bars absorbed a lot of it for me...... Sue, being the passenger, didn't have that protection......

We were coming back form Palomar observatory... elevation 5,000 ft....... down S6 (Southgrade)...... real tight twisty... first
time on bikes. I took a corner to the left too wide..... obviously my entry speed was too fast.... hit dirt/sand..... and no doubt hit one or both brakes (stupid) ..... rear tire went out from under....

It was slow speed..... well under 25 mph (I think) 2nd gear......

I was actually thinking about a thread I had read (I think in Delphi) about downshifting to 1st in real tight twistys a few minutes before this happened.......

I've never done that...... hindsight... maybe I should have...

You guys ever do that?

Judi was behind us, saw what happened, and somehow went down too.

I f*'d up..... no 2 ways about it...... I thought I was well within my comfort zone..... I should have been able to pull out of it, but it was one of those turns that keeps turning.....and I didn't. :-[

Ambulance driver paramedic said someone goes down in that spot every weekend....... no consolation.....

I'll keep you posted! It hurst to laugh, but

<marquee>SMITE ME ANYWAY!! </marquee>

p.s. I'm re-thinking riding attire...... luckily Sue had her full face helmet on.... bashed and scraped it.... head fine! :)

She had a leather vest, gloves, boots, and jeans.

I always ride with a tanktop, vest, and skid-lid.

I think one of those ICON armour jackets that I've seen - with all the padding is in our future...... would have come in handy today!

Ron, a friend who rides with us occasionally (great rider.... VTX 1800) he's in his mid 60's... always reminds me.... "It's not IF you go down .... it's WHEN.... ride safe." :-*

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers!

Nico
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #29

Thanks Ponch......

Nomad is tough.... tweeked fender, mirror, saddle bag all I see so far...

Forget the cost.... custom taylor made $400 jacket vs major injury... no contest.

I can't wait to see the helicopter life-flight and ER bill..... I have no health insurance!

Old 08-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

But look at all the Smites you have!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005