Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 02-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado

I am planning on taking 10 days and riding around Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado in early July. Probably going solo and hope to find a good base camp to make day trips from. Part of the trip is the need for knees in the breeze but another is to spend some time praying and reading God's Word in isolation. I have spent time in the area on family vacations and have always regretted not having my Voyager with me.

I would appreciate any thoughts you have on a location to base out of and roads that are a must. Thank you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #2

That should be a fun ride. Enjoy the peace and meditation.
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Last edited by Rasta; 02-17-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherC View Post
I would appreciate any thoughts you have on a location to base out of and roads that are a must. Thank you.
If you want to base out of Northern New Mexico:
- I would suggest Taos (Enchanted Circle, North Central area) or Chama to be closer in to Colorado (small town plenty of solitude, only a couple of restaurants) - a lot of good roads & loops that you can do in the area from either one

For Southern Colorado:
- I would go with Durango, it may be more Southwest than you want, but there is excellent riding there. Or Pagosa Springs which is between Chama & Durango so it might also be an option

Taos to Chama is about 100 miles - Chama to Pagosa Springs is about 50 miles - Pagosa Springs to Durango is about 60 miles

If you base out of Taos for part of the trip. Be sure & stop at Rio Grande Bridge Just before you get to the bridge on the Taos side of the gorge, there is a road called Tune Drive. It wasn’t paved, last time I was there but was passable (May have been paved since then). Drive to the end of the road, and park. There you can hike down the Sante Fe Trail, and end up at the Rio Grande River, and a natural hot spring. There is a foundation down there, and they used to bring the stage coaches down to the bottom of the canyon, over 900' deep, rest the horses overnight down there, and up again on the other side the next day. You can still see on the opposite bank, where they built up the walls straight, so they could put a level road in. Really cool.

The two most scenic roads in the area (IMO) are West & North of Taos - Hwy 64 between Taos & Tierra Amarilla (especially the stretch from Tres Piedras to Tierra Amarilla best views are going west to east) and Hwy 17 from Chama to Antonito CO - you can make loop by taking Hwy 285 from Tres Piedras to Antonito, then Hwy 17 to Chama and then Hwy 64 back to Taos.
Also east on 64 from Cimarron to Eagles Nest (through Cimarron Canyon is a pretty cool ride)

Last edited by tcat; 02-17-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:49 AM   #4

Can’t help you on your route or where to camp but totally understand and respect your reasons for the ride. To me, that’s what its about, seeking and finding.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Christopher, I wish you the best on your southwest journey of reflection.

Tom, thanks so much for those recommendations. I've ridden through New Mexico, and southern Colorado but have never been able to take the time to explore. Our daughter is transferring to Colorado Springs, will be posted at the Air Force Academy medical center, and has purchased a nice home NE of the Springs. I'll be staging a bike there so I can do some riding out there and on into NM.

Those are some great recommendations. I've cut and pasted it into a Word file for future planning.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #6

WOW!! Got goosebumps Christopher after reading your first post! I did EXACTLY the same thing for the SAME reason in September '98. I did stop for a few days in Santa Fe to visit an old friend. Old Santa Fe is much like Taos with the art galleries. It's a neat curvy road up to the ski lodge there. Picked up a couple of authentic Navaho sand paintings for my kids for like 3 bucks apiece from an elderly Navaho woman selling her wares at the town square. It is SO peaceful and the people are so friendly and open. Enjoyed an evening at the Sagebrush Inn in Taos. Met a lovely gal while looking out from the Rio Grande bridge. Gave her a short ride on my '97 Virago 750 and followed her to the Sagebrush. Btw, if you DO go to Santa Fe and like Mexican food try Tomasino's downtown. I camped behind a church after leaving Taos and had breakfast near Questa then backtracked to 64/84, then off to Pagosa Springs where I spent several hours soaking in the hot springs. The ride north through the Rockies was FANTASTIC! The roads are perfect and even at 9500 ft. the Yamaha ran fine. Got as far as the Wolf Creek Pass area then meandered northeast to Colorado Springs to pick up I-70 then home to Indiana. 3700 miles in thirteen days. Coming back through Kansas was what convinced me to never take a tour during 100 degree heat on an air cooled vtwin. I rode that stretch at early morning/late afternoon to keep from cooking in the heat coming off that back cylinder! Was told they were having record heat that fall. Yeah, no kidding! Northern NM is a beautiful and very Spiritual place. ENJOY! You will not regret it!

Old 02-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #7

Living in western Colorado, I've made many a trip down south. One of my favorite rides in on Hwy 550 between Durango and Ouray, CO, also known as the Million Dollar Highway. That leg is about 70 miles one way, and is some of the most beautiful scenery in the state IMO, and there are a few interesting stops along the way.
Million Dollar Hwy.jpg
You can make a nice loop by continuing on to Ridgway CO (grab a burger at the True Grit Cafe downtown), and hanging a left on Hwy 62 and then picking up Hwy 145 down to Cortez, CO, then Hwy160 back to Durango. Stunning country there too, especially over Dallas Divide near Ridgway, and Lizard Head Pass outside of Telluride. Mesa Verde Nat'l Park near of Cortez is really worth seeing, though it would eat up most of a day.

If you work a little further east, and don't mind going a little farther north, you might run this loop.
Pagosa.jpg
Could start at either Durango or Pagaosa Springs and continue on around. The leg from South Fork through Creede and Lake City, and up over Spring Creek and Slumgullion Passes, is really a sight to behold. Riding along Blue Mesa Reservoir is always cool. Near Montrose, CO is Black Canyon of the Gunnison Nat'l Park, which you can get the gist of in an hour or two. If you need to soak your bones, stop off in Ouray at the hot springs. You'd catch the Million Dollar Hwy on this trip as well.
If you end up near Alamosa, you could check out Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park. Thousand foot high sand dunes in the middle of the Rockies.

One thing to remember, these routes will take you over mountain passes well over 11,000ft. Even in July be prepared for snow, it happens.
Happy riding and God bless!
Grand Junction, CO
VBA Member #: 03362

Old 06-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #8

Thank you

Thank you all for the recommendations and comments. I am grateful to be a part of a community that shares like this. We leave in a couple of weeks and will the info to good use.

Many thanks!!!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #9

I am in Colorado right now, Stay in Montrose. Fire North of Durango, 550 Closed clear to Silverton. You can ride down to Silverton from Montrose.

I rode 149 From South fork up thru Lake City to Hwy 50, Beautiful and low traffic.

114 from Saguache to Parlin is also a very nice ride, 65 mile of almost no traffic. North end views are fantastic.

We rode down to Telluride and part of Wolf Creek Pass also. 114 and 149 are both better in scenery and low to no traffic.

Being able to ride at a slower speed to see it, and not worry about getting run over is a plus.

Tomorrow we will go north up to Independence Pass by Aspen. Not sure it will be worth. it.

Then on to Yellowstone area.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Last edited by plumber63; 06-13-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 AM   #10

I was on those roads last week. First time for me, what amazing scenery on the road between Ouray and Durango. The road between Cortez and Ouray is pretty amazing as well.

Cool little gas station/store at the south end of Rico. Couple of benches on a porch if you're looking for a good place to stop for a break. Clean bathrooms too.

Good chili at Handlebars in Silverton.
The owner rides a BMW.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina