Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #16

BonVoyager’s 2012 Voyager

Alright, I got my connectors in the mail today from Cycleterminal.com! Joe is super nice and very helpful, he is highly recommended!

I don’t like to cut into harnesses unless absolutely necessary, so if I can find connectors to make a short harness to allow anything I need to power plug and play, I will.

So, with that said, I ordered these connectors to allow me to do a few things.

•The connectors for the main tail light harness I got to have on hand, I’ve been back and forth on using those in the future, still not sure. If you are installing a trailer harness and are using a harness that doesn’t already come with these connectors on it to allow it to plug and play, order this connector so you don’t have to tap into your harness. My trailer harness already came with these connectors on it. This connection is under the seat and attaches to the battery cover on the right side.

•The connectors for the license plate light harness are so I can connect my Vololights plate frame to power using the power and ground to the license plate light. There are two sets of connectors in the pic, one is extra to have on hand, it’s a pretty common connector that I have used in the past. This connector is located behind the fender.

•The connectors for the secondary brake light harness are for the Kuryakyn light under the license plate light that I installed. This will give it power and ground for both the running light and the brake light functions that it has. There is an identical connector under the seat on the left side, this connector powers the lights on the trunk only and pigtails off the main brake light harness. I ordered another as a spare to have on hand, it’s actually the same as a 3 wire oxygen sensor connector. I only had this hooked up temporarily as a running light to the license plate light harness with a connector I had until the proper connector arrived. This connector is located behind the fender and powers the brake light on the fender.

•The connectors for the turn signal harnesses are for a project I am gathering parts for to begin working on. These connectors are behind the headlight.

Now, let me explain what that project is that I am gathering parts for:

Because the turn signals are directly under the fog/driving lights, I don’t want the turn signal being washed out by that light and making it difficult for other drivers to see. So, what I plan on doing is making a circuit that allows the driving light to turn off on the side that the turn signal is on.

For example, if my right side turn signal is on, the right side driving light will turn off and when the turn signal is turned off, the driving light will turn back on. The other side stays lit the entire
time. This is just like what you are now seeing on modern cars like Jeeps, Audi, etc.

I’m still waiting for my short harnesses I ordered on eBay for the H11 bulbs that the driving lights use, Joe didn’t have those connectors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #17

Ain't Cycleterminal great ? Every thing you need to avoid clipping wires. Works great for me, too. If I make an error I just unplug and put back to stock. Keep riding while I work out the bugs, then try again.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 01-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #18

Nicely done! Welcome to the group from Central Iowa! !
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 02-04-2018, 02:18 AM   #19

Thank you Mbarr10 and Rasta!

Back at it today. I finally got to yank the rear speaker pods I installed when I got the bike so I could modify them for the Kicker speakers. As mentioned in my front speaker write up, the kicker speakers are a little too wide where they seat into the hole so, much like the front pods, I had to remove some plastic to open up the diameter of the hole.

Unlike the front pods where I removed about 1/16” of an inch of material making the diameter of the hole 1/8” wider, I had to remove about 1/8” of material making the diameter of the hole about a 1/4” wider. This is because the vinyl lays inside the opening of the hole, making the diameter of the hole smaller in the end.

I thought I took a picture after I removed the plastic material, but I guess I didn’t, so I made a red line on one of my pics to indicate how much material I had to remove.

One other thing I had to do was remove some material around the holes on the actual speaker itself where the plastic frame of the speaker sits around the metal mounting hole. If you don’t do this, the chrome trim ring won’t seat down like it did on the factory speaker and you will have a gap all the way around the ring where it is supposed to sit flush with the vinyl on the speaker pod.

I’m still trying to decide on an amp to finish this install.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:20 AM   #20

Pics of the rear Kicker speakers installed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:48 AM   #21

In my quest for repetition in design, the speakers essentially repeat the pattern of the rims.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:45 AM   #22

Today I got to use some of those connectors I got from Cycleterminal.com and finished the license plate/turn signal assembly that I took apart and drilled holes in in a previous post. I also painted the bracket assembly as I wasn’t happy with the factory paint.

Being that the Vololights plate frame has an LED license plate light built in, I decided to remove the factory license plate light and wire the end of the Vololights frame with a connector so it plugs into the wiring for the factory license plate light. The Vololights frame just needs power and ground to work. I used a pair of black bolts I had on hand to fill the holes that the factory license plate light mounted to and I had an old oxygen sensor that I stole the wiring sheath off of, as a bonus, it was the exact length I needed!

For the Kuryakyn light I used to replace the factory reflector, I made a T harness so it can plug into the factory brake light wiring. The wiring is secured with a wiring strap where it comes through the hole I opened up on the bracket to the mounting stud of the light. This light has both running and brake functions and they now work as they should.

Everything is plug and play with no modifications to the factory wiring.

The wiring colors on the Kuryakyn brake/running light harness are: Red/Running, White/Brake, Black/Ground.

The wiring colors of the factory brake/running light harness are: Red/Running, Blue/Brake, Black with Yellow/Ground

I used the Black and Blue wires in my T harness, but didn’t have any red wire on hand, so I used orange in place of the red.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:48 AM   #23

A few more pics of the finished assembly and it installed on the bike. I like that the frame is black, there’s already enough chrome back there and this frames the rear of the bike by continuing the black on the trunk lid and the bottoms of the saddlebags and the downward point of the frame mimicks what the rear fender does. I still have to calibrate the frame, that’s why the sticker is still on as a reminder to myself.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #24

Need action shots, without action shots/video, it didn't happen! ;)
Looks great, nice tidy work!

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 02-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #25

I know, I REALLY need to post more pics....😄

Old 02-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #26

WTF you been off roading??? Look at that rear tire. Wait let me guess...Tractor Pulls Damn that is a lot of weight to be sloshing around in the mud. Be careful.

Love the license plate bracket, And thanks for the update/ PM on the hand guards. My next Mod after it gets above 29f here in Minneapolis. I now can see the VW Nuts under the levers.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 02-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #27

FULL PULL!!!!

Kidding, obviously.

I have my driveway dug up to bury a line and prep for a new garage and then all this rain got the grass soft as hell. Riding season is over here, so I pulled my bike from the shed to the shop to do this stuff and it didn’t go so well. Only had to move it about 50’, but it was across the lawn and the driveway. The rear end slid out from under me, but I stayed cool and kept it upright and made it into the shop. The bike is also covered in dust from sitting in the shop, so it will get a full detail when the weather warms back up again.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-07-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #28

Love that frame light.... very interesting, will definitely check these out for my ride.

Cheers mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve

Old 02-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshousebc View Post
Love that frame light.... very interesting, will definitely check these out for my ride.

Cheers mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

The proper name is Vololights (one word), but doing a search on ebay for volo lights (two words) yields more for sale and often the ones listed with the name separated like that are $50-$60. Same item, just listed differently.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #30

Hey everyone, it’s been a little while since I posted here. Got busy with some other stuff. I finally got to put a hitch on my bike.

I ordered it on Sunday night, got notice it shipped Monday morning and it was here on Wed, from Canada!

Cost me $185. Made from nice, solid 3/8” steel, not flimsy at all and covered in REAL powder coat!

The hardware that was sent was too short for my liking, so, I went and got some longer hardware. Can’t say it is a complaint, just my personal preference. I prefer to have a few threads sticking out for the drawbar to hitch bolts and hitch to muffler bolts. For a little extra peace of mind, I also put lock nuts on the hitch bolts. The holes are threaded into the hitch so they aren’t actually needed and I have lock washers on the bolt head side. I realize this is a little overkill, but I just don’t want to have to worry about the bolts loosening up over time.

It took all of about 30 minutes to install and that was taking my time. I also drilled two holes in it to mount my Kuryakyn trailer harness connector.

I just got back from the maiden voyage down the road. I have never towed anything with a bike before. Couldn’t even tell my trailer was behind me. For those that are curious, the bike and trailer measure 17’ 5” long.

For those that are worried about being able to adjust rise or drop on the drawbar. It can be mounted above or below the hitch and either with the bend up or the bend down. You can also adjust stick out by which holes you use in the drawbar. All that gives you a decent amount of fine tune adjustments to get the trailer to sit at the correct angle. I went with below the hitch with the bend down and used the rear two holes for my Time Out.

I will say it is a damn nice hitch and I definitely recommend it! Buy it from their website and save $15 over what it costs to buy it from them on eBay.

Here’s the website: http://traileretc.com/product/kawasa...ler-tow-hitch/

I also got my Kuryakyn trailer connector on eBay. It’s the Kuryakyn 7659 5-pin trailer connector.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 05-28-2018 at 04:03 PM.