Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

Pissed Wtf help im out of ideas

Ok so im new to this bike. I just bought a 2000 vulcan 1500 fuel injection. I know she is old but i just love the style. She has 15k miles and this has been kinda sudden. So if i ride her to work (about 40 min away 24 miles) and it rains the bike will crank just not start. And sometimes in the morning if the temp falls below 50 at night it will do the same thing. The injector sylinods are clicking so i know therea fuel and shes getting spark. New battery new starter im just in aww about it. Any ideas

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

For starters , welcome to the forum !!

Can you tell us more about your bike ? Is it stock or has anything been done to it . Like pipes ect ?

I would start by looking at the easy stuff first . Check your plugs , make sure there clean and gaped properly . you may want to replace them .
Give the throttle tubes and butter fly's a good cleaning with seafoam or TB cleaner and make sure they sparkle , carbon build up can cause all kinds of problems . Use a tooth brush ( it works for me )
Replace the filter if it's clogged or dirty .
Check your battery connections and make sure there clean and tight .
I would also run some sea foam with your fuel to clean out your fuel injection system . 1 ounce per gal works for me . You may want to run this for the first 2 or 3 tanks .

I hope this little bit helps you narrow it down . I'm sure others will post more ideas on what it might be ....

Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #3

You might read this and see if it helps

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 01-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #4

If it cranks and won't start after raining, probably your plug wires or connections at the coil. Same thing possible if it is damp or a heavy dew when cool. Instead of the full current going to the plugs through the plug wires the dampness is helping it is bleeding off to ground.
Try this, start the bike up in the dark and spray some water out of a plant mister or old windex bottle right on the plug wires, move them around a bit with an insulated screw driver. What you are looking for is arcing from the plug wires to the motor. Even if you don't see any on a 17 year old bike it is time to change the plug wires. IMO.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

Get yourself some cleaning solvent and go over all the high tension ignition components, from the igniters to the wires to the spark plugs, and make sure they are sparkling clean and dry, then get a can of Gunk Ignition Sealer and spray them all down. Post back if that doesn't cure it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #6

Mine did the same thing, it was the plug wires, they are easy to replace. Unscrew them from the ignition coils. It can also be a battery that is starting to get weak as well.
These bikes need a good battery to fire, one that is getting weak will crank and crank but not fire.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #7

Sorry im new to this. It is mostly stock. Except for the cobra drag pipes and when i bought it the gasstank was rusty so i had it professionally cleaned and sealed. The temp senser is stuck open so i use a swich to shut off the fan. Battery is brand new. And is reading 13.8 volts.2 of the sparkplus wires fit on the plugs kinda loose but it was my understanding that you only need one plug per head to start. But hey i work HVAC not auto lol

Old 01-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #8

Sorry the switch is stuck closed fan never shuts off unless i do it manually

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #9

Plug wire ends and wires.

I had it happen several times, then after changing the wires it hasn't happened again.

MT
VBA 936

Old 01-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Try everything the above say. I would also add some dielectric grease to the key and put it
in the ignition switch, work the key around until you are sure that the grease is in there.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 01-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #11

Ok i will swap them idk why its doing it just let it sit for 2 days rained yesterday but was dried off warm day and still did it

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Try everything the above say. I would also add some dielectric grease to the key and put it
in the ignition switch, work the key around until you are sure that the grease is in there.
With all due respect Gerry I think you will find all you are doing is lubing the key and tumblers in the lock, it will never make it to the individual contacts that way, or at least I hope it won't, they should be sealed from each other.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #13

If its failing to start in damp conditions, do as they say, it should start. Dampness can stay in switches and connectors for days, even weeks. And guess what, that dampness can cause corrosion and resistance. For a engine to run, you need fuel, spark and compression. Just because the injectors are clicking, it means the injectors are actuating, not that fuels flowing through them. You have to check these things thoroughly.
The FI bikes are extremely sensitive to voltage! You gotta spin it over cleanly and fast and still have enough juice to activate the EFI with full voltage.
Dampness could cause wires, connectors or both to wimp out. Anything electrical can be suspect, most its confined to ign. switches, coil wires, plug ends, EFI connectors, even your handlebar kill switch. Just check things thoroughly....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 01-20-2017 at 01:58 AM.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #14

Somebody had a similar problem and couldn't figure it out for days.

He swapped new plugs in, and the beast roared to life.

You never know where the last little droplet of moisture might be hiding.

MT
VBA 936

Tags
fix, maintence