Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-11-2023, 01:42 PM   #1

upping my engine size.

I am thinking of taking my 17700 up in size. However I am having issues finding any literature or even videos of it being done to a Kawasaki engine. Of course there are a million things i can find on Harley engines. I only found 1 on Honda. Has anyone tried this or know if it can be done?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-12-2023, 06:35 PM   #2
Top Contributor

The best and possibly the cheapest way to increase the power output of your bike is to install an aftermarket air intake and have the ECU flashed by Ivans Performance Products.

Old 10-04-2023, 02:58 PM   #3

The 1700 is a poorly designed engine from a power standpoint. A good intake and exhaust system along with an ECU flash will allow big gains. This is one of the worst engines to expect worthwhile gains in power when internal modifications are desired.

Although I developed a 109 piston kit with increased compression and have many cam grinds available, the cost and labor involved are not worth the gains in power.

Feel free to all my shop 954-455-9665

RACNRAY

Old 10-05-2023, 11:05 AM   #4

RacnRay,

Thank you for your input. After a ton of research and speaking with local mechanics (Professional, Backyrad and Racers) I decided against any upgrades. I was planning on just buying a new Voyager or Vaquero until.... Kawasaki released the 2024 information. Highly disappointed with the same old colrs on the Voyager (Grey on Grey) and no upgrades to the sound and information system. The New blue on the vaquero is Gorgeous however, agin no real upgrades to anything. I feel Kawasaki is just not wanting to compete with Harley or Indian in the big cruiser/ touring family. I just purchased a 2015 Electra-Glide Ultra Limited with all the bells and whistles. I rolled out of the showroom with an 8 year bike with only 85 miles so in essence its a brand new bike. That being said I will probably keep the nomad and custom paint and upholstery and a basic rebuild and use her as a show piece.

Last edited by Nikita Nomad; 10-05-2023 at 11:15 AM.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:10 PM   #5

What RnR said! Its a great stock bike engine, a big cruiser engine....performance wise add air intake, exhaust, emc flashed by Ivan, then if you need more, play with your injector size....if more is needed, go to a turbo and aftermarket ecm unit. After that, you'll be spending ALOT of money getting custom parts made to perform any higher....
Anyway, the 1500/1600 plateforms are alot better for performance....
The big Metric cruisers put the hurt on H-D's bac in the late 90's and early 2000's....then H-D started fighting back by building the big stroker/big bore engines....
Then 'Bang!'....the performance bagger market was born....
Suzuki was building a big V-Twin that was gonna compete with the big H-D's and others at the track, but I think they did something else it it....but they were even gonna have a performance parts section with it....
It would've probably been like the hayabusa program....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 10-06-2023 at 10:23 PM.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:10 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
What RnR said! Its a great stock bike engine, a big cruiser engine....performance wise add air intake, exhaust, emc flashed by Ivan, then if you need more, play with your injector size....if more is needed, go to a turbo and aftermarket ecm unit. After that, you'll be spending ALOT of money getting custom parts made to perform any higher....
Anyway, the 1500/1600 plateforms are alot better for performance....
The big Metric cruisers put the hurt on H-D's bac in the late 90's and early 2000's....then H-D started fighting back by building the big stroker/big bore engines....
Then 'Bang!'....the performance bagger market was born....
Suzuki was building a big V-Twin that was gonna compete with the big H-D's and others at the track, but I think they did something else it it....but they were even gonna have a performance parts section with it....
It would've probably been like the hayabusa program....

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.