Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #1

Question on my cobras

Hey BD

When I mentioned that I was getting a set of "slash cut" Cobras, you replied back that they would be loud. " very loud". After comformation I found out that they are really " slash downs". Question is, what is the difference, other than the direction outlet of the exhaust?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #2

Question on my cobras

Hey Voyager,
This is my first reply, Yaa Hoo!

Anyway, I have the Cobra's with slashcuts (to the side) on my Nomad. You're probably has a SS screw on the muffler towards the tire side.......................? If you do, you can remove the baffle and have at it until you "dial in your tune". I put mine on about 3+ years ago before Cobra changed their pipes. I'm in the process of slipping in some of those 4" baffles into the header pipes right before the muffler slips on. These baffles are for those running straight pipes to quiet 'em down, I'll keep you apprised when they arrive and I get out there and install them.

My beef with the Cobra's isn't so much they're that loud, but have a "rap" especially when you get up in the rpm's.

NomadTom
'01 Nomad
Portland OR

Old 12-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Question on my cobras

The slash downs target the noise towards the ground and the side slashcuts toward the side by the saddlebags. It's the direction that makes it sound louder to the rider coming out the side, but not necessarily to the surrounding public. I agree on the "rap" sound as they do tend to sound raspy at higher RPMs

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005