Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #1

Swapping out stock exhaust with Cobra slashcuts

I'm in the process of swapping out my stock exhaust with the Cobra SlashCuts. I've taken off the stock exhaust system. Do I also remove the black device with the four ports which the stock exhaust system connected to? That's the catalytic converter, right? I assume I do, because if I don't, I'm not sure how all this is all going to hook up correctly without looking strange.

This is what I get for taking the stock system off at ten o'clock at night.

(Hope I'm not looking a little off today!)

Best,
Steven

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Advanced Member

One of the main reasons for getting an aftermarket exhaust is to get rid of the catalytic converter. This will open things up considerably.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Yes, everything comes off!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #4

Thanks, I appreciate the quick reply. Noob question, but I'll certainly never forget the lesson learned.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #5

Ok, I finished a little while ago putting the Cobra exhaust on. Holy Freaking Cow. Loudest. Exhaust. Ever.

Too bad it's raining outside, or I'd be out riding by retirement homes and scaring old people.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #6

Would anyone happen to know the proper torque for the acorn nuts on both the front and rear exhaust leads? I've taken it for one decent ride now, and they're still holding. I had no idea what to torque them to, so I was a gentle when I tightened them. I figure the heating and cooling of a couple of decent rides, and I'll have to torque them for good.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #7

As I have experienced on many occasions. if they snap off - you tightened them one click too much!

I put the Cobra True Duals on, and you are right a big difference. my advice - wear some ear protection.. you'll need it!

Tom

Old 12-18-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Would anyone happen to know the proper torque for the acorn nuts on both the front and rear exhaust leads? I've taken it for one decent ride now, and they're still holding. I had no idea what to torque them to, so I was a gentle when I tightened them. I figure the heating and cooling of a couple of decent rides, and I'll have to torque them for good.
The acorn nuts don't have a specific torque value, therefore they are to be torqued to the basic torque for General Fasteners. Since these nuts are 8mm they should be torqued to 10~13.5 ft-lbs. This information was derived from the online parts diagrams at kawasaki.com and from my copy of the 2005-2008 service manual.

Hope you enjoy the new pipes!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 12-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #9

Thanks, everyone. I was guesstimating 14-18 ftlbs, and I wasn't far off. My habit has been to tighten, go around the block, and come back and check them. My big guess here was how the heating and cooling would affect them.

Another question. I'm in the process of putting the fi2000r on, and honestly I'm not sure how to disconnect the fuel processor sensor and fuel level sensor without destroying the plastic housings. Is there a specific tool that will make this simpler?

I found another post describing the same things (with the plastic housings). I took another look at the connectors and figured out how to get them off. After connecting up the fuel processor and taking it for a ride, my bike definitely runs better. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #10

Oh, I love the sound...I wouldn't "muffle" that for anything in the world (unless they enact some noise ordinance around here. This is exactly what I had wanted.