Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #1

I have this idea

Hi guys and girls,
I've had this idea that's been nagging me for a while. Maybe someone has an idea if it can be done.
List of parts:
Helmet
Scala Rider Q2
iPod
Bluetooth iPod adapter
Auxiliary jack.
Here's what I want to do:
1. Stick an auxiliary jack in one of the hard bags. Connect iPod w/BT adapter to the jack for constant power while on the go.
2. Pair the BT adapter with Rider Q2 for some in-helmet entertainment (I believe Scala is a mono headset, but that doesn't bother me much)
Issues:
1. I don't know how to wire an auxiliary jack (many of you guys have one, so maybe one of you can give me a step-by-step)
2. Would I be able to pair the iPod BT adapter with Scala Q2? I know you can pair a GPS w/BT to Scala. Not sure if this is the same thing. I've send a couple of emails to Scala, but they never replied.

Any ideas?
Thanks for any input.
Jon

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

I have this idea

You can find some good instructions on Gadgets sight for wiring a aux. power plug. About your other question, maybe someone else can help because it got me a bit confused.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #3

I have this idea

Thanks for the tip. I found the instructions on GadgetHQ for the wiring.
My second question was about using Bluetooth to connect iPod and Scala Rider Q2 communication device. Both iPod and Rider use Bluetooth technology, so I thought of connecting them to each other, so that I can listen to my iPod through the Rider speakers inside the helmet.
Well, I found out it cannot be done, since Rider doesn't support A2DP protocol, only Mono. But they did tell me that a new Rider is coming out this year that will support A2DP, thus giving you the ability to listen to any Bluetooth-enabled device in Stereo (including iPod, cellphone, etc.)

Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #4

I have this idea

I have been researching Scala Q2s for awhile now and from what I have read, it requires a cable to connect to a MP3 player,but with the BT adapter,I would think you woyld be ale to hear your ipod. I would stop into a Scala dealer and see if they will let you try your setup.
I want to be able to pair up my GPS and my girlfriend's headset and I know it will do both of those.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #5

I have this idea

You will definitely be able to connect a GPS and a second headset to Q2, as well as your cell phone (provided it has Bluetooth). The problem of connecting iPod with a Bluetooth adapter to Q2 is that those adapters most likely use A2DP protocol. A2DP is for stereo sound and will work with stereo bluetooth headphones only. Q2 is also Bluetooth, but usesmono protocol only. Scala is coming out with a new set later this year that will support A2DP.
Another issue might be with a password. When pairing two Bluetooth devices you have to enter a password, which is usually 0000 or 1234. Q2 will only pair with devices with 0000 password. If your has 1234, you're out of luck.
Got all this info yesterday from Scala Tech Support.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #6

I have this idea

Joker, I have the scala-rider FM. I use it primarily to make calls and listen to FM. I have connected one of those FM converters to the Ipod and then tuned my FM receiver on the scala to pickup the Ipod. Still not stereo but works pretty good.

Hope this is helpful...

Old 05-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #7

I have this idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw
Joker, I have the scala-rider FM. I use it primarily to make calls and listen to FM. I have connected one of those FM converters to the Ipod and then tuned my FM receiver on the scala to pickup the Ipod. Still not stereo but works pretty good.

Hope this is helpful...
Thanks, buddy, that was my backup plan. I have one of those FM transmitters in my car, so I'll use it on the bike also. The only thing i'm not sure about is how the reception will be, since the iPod will be in the side bag. That's why Bluetooth would be perfect. Anyway, I'll try it and see. Thanks again.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #8

I have this idea

Wow! You speak Greek so eloquently!