Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Advanced Member

I took a Star Venture for a ride.

My wife and I rode to Columbus, Ohio last week to do a demo ride on the new Venture. Very, very impressive motorcycle!
Although it is 65 lbs heavier than my Voyager, it feels lighter to lift off the stand and to toss into a corner. The engine pulls hard and runs smooth and quiet. I only tried Sport mode, Tour mode has softer throttle response but others said they couldn't tell the difference. Traction control never interfered on dry pavement. Gearbox shifts easy without any clunk, except for 1st. Short-shifting is in order, as I hit the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. Clutch pull is light and engagement is smooth and predictable. Linked brakes work well. Electric forward and reverse park assist is the bomb!
The rear suspension works well and absorbs bumps better than a Voyager, but I noticed some flex in the forks when leaned into a turn.
Seat height is low and the footboards are long enough for me to stretch my legs straight and rest my heel on the front, no cruise pegs needed. I had the driver seat set back as far as it would go and my passenger claims more room for her than on Voyager, and the passenger seat much more comfortable. If I ride it again I will move the seat ahead a notch or two because I found the reach to the handlebars a stretch, and I have long arms. It was a cool morning and the heated seats sure felt good. No noticeable heat from the engine at all, even when stopped at a light.
The navigation screen was easy to read with my bifocals, and the sound system is awesome, passenger can select her own media and volume.
The trunk is huge, we put both our full-face helmets in and could likely set a jacket on top. Saddlebags are wide but not as deep as Voyager, and the right saddlebag is narrower than the left. Central locking is sweet.
The power window works well enough, I could see over it when all the way down but had to look through it when all the way up. I was disappointed in the amount of wind noise, worse and more turbulent with the windshield down, but even when all the way up it was no quieter than my Voyager. The side wind deflectors work well to direct airflow onto or away from both riders and there may be a combination of windshield and deflector position that reduces noise but I didn't find it.
Bridgestone tires, and my quick search couldn't turn up any other manufacturer for those sizes. Since these tire sizes aren't used on any Harley, I expect the selection of alternates will be slim.
The display said 33 mpg, no doubt due to lots of throttle twisting from demo riders experiencing those 126 ft.lbs of torque. And they do feel good!
Priced similar to Harley and Indian, but with many class-exclusive features..... Ride modes, traction control, park assist, CB, Sirius, Pandora, Nav, TPMS, heated seats and backrests and grips, alarm, keyless ignition, etc.
Oil change interval is half that of a Voyager, and it has screw adjust valves that need service every 16,000 miles.
I didn't order one, but if my wife had her way...............

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads