Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #1

Best Fitting Luggage Rack Bag

What have you guys found to be the Best fitting Luggage Rack Bags for the Nomad.
The Nomad Sissy Bar Starts out very wide at the base and then gets narrower as it goes up....plus the backrest pad is so thick.
I had a really good Nelson Riggs set for my 900 Classic LT when I had it but I can't seem to find a bag set that fits the Nomad sissy bar and back rest pad because of it's shape and pad thickness.

Has anybody found one that fits good and looks good.
Any pictures>>>>>>

Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I used to have a T-Bags Expandable Tahoe bag that fit quite well. The odd shape of the Nomad backrest and pad doesn't lend itself to most bag attachment systems. This one worked really well. You compress the backrest pad as you slide the bag over the top and it holds it very snug.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #3

If you need strap extenders because of the wide backrest for your Nelson-Rigg luggage, they are available direct from Nelson.
Hope this helps.....

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by "dk dixie"
If you need strap extenders because of the wide backrest for your Nelson-Rigg luggage, they are available direct from Nelson.
Hope this helps.....
Thanks...I sold the Nelson Riggs system....That bag set up was perfect. I used it many a trips. Sold it when I got the Nomad.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Top Contributor

+1 for the T-bag Tahoe bag. you do have to squeeze the crap out of the passenger backrest to get it on. Another thought would be to change out the pad to a thinner backrest, then anything would about fit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #6

I have the Kuryakyn Full Dresser bag and am very happy with it. I've had it for years and I would rate it a 10 out of 10. I just used it for a trip to Louisiana from Tampa and it was solid as a rock on the luggage rack. Lots and lots of room, too. Here's a link that shows it but you can get it cheaper elsewhere on the net. http://www.cycleluggage.com/kuryakyn...FQIfswodSiX0aw

Barry

Old 05-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Advanced Member

+1 on the t-bags! got tired of squeezing my back rest when i put it on, so just run my straps under the back rest frame. have had no problems !

Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #8

I also have the Tahoe bag and really like it. The fit is snug, but I think that's a good thing.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #9

I have the T-Bag Route 66... I'll admit it... I'm lazy

When you get where you're going, the telescoping handle plus wheels is nice to have after a long ride. It fits my backrest nicely, but I have an '03. Not sure how it will fit with the larger backrests on the newer models. But it is adjustable, so it may work. It sits nicely on the luggage rack and has plenty of straps to make it very securely mounted. Or if you are rolling solo, you can put it over the passenger seat for a nice tall backrest to lean against.

It comes with rain protection also, and plenty of easy access pockets.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ken

Glad I found this thread as I've been looking for a good bag for my '05. @ Cactusjack - could you tell me the weight of your T-Bag, please? I'm in Germany and shipping is costly across the pond. Would like to get a ballpark idea on shipping costs and I find that on-line shops are not real good about answering email inquires. Thank in advance. Ken

Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #11

plus 1 for the kuryakn full dresser bag.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 05-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog
I have the T-Bag Route 66... I'll admit it... I'm lazy

When you get where you're going, the telescoping handle plus wheels is nice to have after a long ride. It fits my backrest nicely, but I have an '03. Not sure how it will fit with the larger backrests on the newer models. But it is adjustable, so it may work. It sits nicely on the luggage rack and has plenty of straps to make it very securely mounted. Or if you are rolling solo, you can put it over the passenger seat for a nice tall backrest to lean against.

It comes with rain protection also, and plenty of easy access pockets.
I have this one too. Also got the roll bag with it and the tie down net. Makes one heck of a nice package and will store a lot of gear. Carried our rain gear, 2 1/2 helmets, and a lot of other things with this set up. Used the rain cover at least twice. It works very well!

I prefer to think of myself as smart instead of lazy, though. But really, I hate to see Kelli have to carry the luggage into the hotel after a long day on the bike. ;)

Old 05-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
Glad I found this thread as I've been looking for a good bag for my '05. @ Cactusjack - could you tell me the weight of your T-Bag, please? I'm in Germany and shipping is costly across the pond. Would like to get a ballpark idea on shipping costs and I find that on-line shops are not real good about answering email inquires. Thank in advance. Ken
Ken, I sold my T-Bags Tahoe some time ago. I have a trunk and a trailer, so no need for it anymore. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 7-8 pounds.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-17-2009, 05:19 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ken

@ CJ - thanks for the response. I appreciate it. I suspect you are pretty close. I looked at something similiar and it too was about 7 lbs. I am humming and hawing about buying and shipping. My last overseas shipment was only about 3 lbs and cost over $50...is it all worth the cost? I don't know. Anyway, thanks for the info and good luck and safe riding. Ken

Old 05-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
Advanced Member

+1 on T-Bags. My Vegas is shown below. The first few times putting it on is a pain but it fits snuggly and performs well.