Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #31
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
What is the total to buy the add-ons?

Good gaud!!! That's a tough and scary thought for sure. If I'm close remembering everything I've ever purchased.....

fairing inner and outer incl. marine radio and speakers, all gauges, risers etc..
first "Venture" trunk and rack
second H.D. trunk with mounting rack and top rack
frt, fender rail
lower bag rails
Kyry grips
saddlebag chaps
tank bib
crash bar chaps
Stebel horn
Longhorn Hwy. pegs
Audio Vox cruise control
Cobra light bar
acc. attach. piece
GPS
TFI
K&N filters with K&N covers
run/turn/brake ....with all lights changed to LED clusters and clear len's.

I must be up around.... ::) ??? ??? $3500 - $4000 ......maybe more. ::)

And I told my "judygirl" when she asked and when I bought the bike "so what are you going to have to buy for it?"
I said "Oh!!! nothing it's just perfect the way it is." And I really thought that too.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #32
VBA Founder

I keep a spreadsheet also...I show my accessories to add up to over $3,500.00.

Hey, it's just money... I was going to spend it anyway.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 09-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Rick, you get into the you might as well dialogs. I did it with a camaro I had. Jeez that 305 sucks, I have a 400 sb here. Why don't I just freshen up the heads. the next thing you know I have the engine apart, overbored, cam, pistons, etc. Of course it made a really quick car and was a lot of fun...but man, I was single then and didn't have to account to anyone but myself. My wife does the books, so I would get questioned about every damn thing. It's easier to get it up front whole, then try to nickel and dime. Luckily I owed nothing on the nomad. it won't be the same for whatever I get next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
Good gaud!!! That's a tough and scary thought for sure. If I'm close remembering everything I've ever purchased.....

fairing inner and outer incl. marine radio and speakers, all gauges, risers etc..
first "Venture" trunk and rack
second H.D. trunk with mounting rack and top rack
frt, fender rail
lower bag rails
Kyry grips
saddlebag chaps
tank bib
crash bar chaps
Stebel horn
Longhorn Hwy. pegs
Audio Vox cruise control
Cobra light bar
acc. attach. piece
GPS
TFI
K&N filters with K&N covers
run/turn/brake ....with all lights changed to LED clusters and clear len's.

I must be up around.... ::) ??? ??? $3500 - $4000 ......maybe more. ::)

And I told my "judygirl" when she asked and when I bought the bike "so what are you going to have to buy for it?"
I said "Oh!!! nothing it's just perfect the way it is." And I really thought that too.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #34

Garmin GPS $99.00
Longhorn footpegs $156.00
Grasshopper Backrest $110.00
Mount for GPS $45.00
Tire gauge that is easy to use $9.00
Small air compressor $10.00
Need to get tire repair kit $45.00
Total $474.00
Most of this stuff I can use on car or truck and some I can take off and use on next bike if I ever get anouther bike. Good thred Greg and interesting answers.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #35

Wow!! Interesting thoughts and statements here.

Some like the idea that you can "make it your own" -- while others wonder if after you add-up all you spend on "add-on's" if it wouldn't have been nearly the same had you just bought another bike that had all the "add-on's" already on it.

Some might agree that when looking at the price of a "new" bike; that it should be considered what "add-on's" cost -- versus what a bike might cost when they are included in the price.

Personally, I had to "fight-through" that dilemma myself after the National Rally in Custer when I knew my Nomad didn't have enough luggage on it, or a few other features.

So... I started looking at other bikes (most particularly the new Voyager -- since I am not a much of a "wrench-turner" [not good at it]). Well, since the Voyager didn't meet my expectations (mostly because of my "short-stature"), I looked at several bikes; to include the GW, BMW, and HD Ultra.

Ultimately, for me... I chose the Ultra... however there were reasons for me doing so. First; the GW was simply too tall for me and couldn't be lowered much more without a substantial cost. I didn't like the BMW because of the riding position (I like more of a classic cruiser bike feel). Thirdly; I bought my HD three days before the next year's models were arriving and I was offered a deal that wasn't much more than the Voyager listed for -- however, the Ultra had far more features on it. Thus... I justified the Ultra purchase.

Now... for the record... I loved my Nomad; and had nothing bad to say about the Nomad. It just simply didn't come with all the features I ultimately wanted/needed in a bike for the type of riding I do on a regular basis.

My point of this thread was to see how people justify the purchase of bikes; and whether in hindsight (if they were to figure-in all they would spend on upgrading it) if they would have been better off considering their "needs" of a bike first -- rather than "price" first.

However... this thread has demonstrated several points. First... as mentioned... some like to customize their bikes to make them "their own". Second... others like to do the work on their bikes -- and sometimes do it often. Third... some like the foundation of their bike; thus the cost of add-on's are only a part of the process of "finding-out what they want" on-top of that foundation of a bike.

In conclusion (although not a close to this thread); I find motorcycles offer (to those that know what bikes are about) a great outlet that is not satisfied in the same manner as any other mode of transportation. Which is probably the foundation on what the success of KawaNOW is based. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #36
Advanced Member

I have never added up the cost of everything we have on the Nomads but it's always 2 of everything for us so the cost is double. I do know that I have $1900 worth of leather goods on each Nomad and I have $4400 worth of hand fabricated-hand engraved buckle sets and copper accents on my Ruby.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #37

My nomad has 3k in accessory's. I bought it loaded and I have not added anything yet. I do need a Ultimate seat and faring. I guess if someone would twist my arm I would add a tour pack .

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

What Greg is really trying to do is justify why he bought an Ultra!! Go ahead Greg.... admit that with all the thousands some have spent on their Nomads they were getting close to the cost of an Ultra.....

I read between the lines!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #39
Sr. Contributor

Yeah, that's probably true. And it's funny that the batwing and tourpak are used by Nomad riders as well. I will say this up front, I rode an ultra this past weekend and it handles way better than my Nomad ever did. That being said, I don't think it's work the cost of buying one new. The one I looked at listed for 21999. I know off the bat I would be changing the seat and from a performance perspective, I didn't see that much difference from the Nomad to go gee wiz. if it were priced at 17-18K with the 103 engine, I would say it would be very competitive with the voyager and I could see the value, but man, it handles like a dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
What Greg is really trying to do is justify why he bought an Ultra!! Go ahead Greg.... admit that with all the thousands some have spent on their Nomads they were getting close to the cost of an Ultra.....

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #40
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Quote:

"way to go" Brad!! finally someone said it! I made comment once about Greg "going rouge" ;) and buying an H.D. and I didn't want to have it seem, that he was being picked on. I'm still under the $22,000. U.S. price tag that "ponch" mentioned, with my {new} '06 and all it's goodies. With the tour pak, and fairing on now I've had a couple of H.D. owners admire the bike and then say "why didn't you just buy a Harley if you wanted one". I'll keep telling them,...
"because I didn't want a Harley"
And just think of how "us" all buying these aftermarket items has helped the vendors stay in business. Too bad the products weren't being made in our own countries though.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #41
Sr. Contributor

The truth is half of the HD is made outside the US. It's assembled here though, while my Nomad was made in Japan. The 800 Classic I had was built in the US though. The only "mass produced" bike I know of that is built here is the Indian, and they make HD look like a sane buy.

[quote=rickyboy ... #00722]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Blowndodge "Darksider"":k4d9xks2

"way to go" Brad!! finally someone said it! I made comment once about Greg "going rouge" ;) and buying an H.D. and I didn't want to have it seem, that he was being picked on. I'm still under the $22,000. U.S. price tag that "ponch" mentioned, with my {new} '06 and all it's goodies. With the tour pak, and fairing on now I've had a couple of H.D. owners admire the bike and then say "why didn't you just buy a Harley if you wanted one". I'll keep telling them,...
"because I didn't want a Harley"
And just think of how "us" all buying these aftermarket items has helped the vendors stay in business. Too bad the products weren't being made in our own countries though.[/quote:k4d9xks2]
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #42

Here's my list. You do the math :)

Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn throttle boss
Kuryakyn long horn highway pegs
Iron Horse shield bag
Vance & Hines pipes
Ultimate Baffles
K&N filter
Chuckster air intake system
Chuckster read valve covers
PC3 Fuel modulator
3 piece Mustang seat
Cobra luggage rack
Kawasaki Chrome inner engine cover
Kawasaki Chrome shaft cover
Kawasaki Top bag rails
Kawasaki Lower bag rails
Kawasaki light bar
Light visors
Chrome lay-down license plate
Saddle carpet kit
Custom larger lowers
Saddle bag shelves
House of Kolor- Kandy apple red paint
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #43
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

If I didn't like Greg so much (can't believe I just typed that!) I'd say he's mind fu<kin' us again! LOL..

Actually I just read an article in rider magazine on the 2011 Road Glide Ultra. It's got the bigger frame mounted fairing and the 103 motor in it. Lots of extras for the middle low 20K region. Nice frickin' bike. Now if they came with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty.....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #44
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
If I didn't like Greg so much (can't believe I just typed that!) I'd say he's mind fu<kin' us again! LOL..

Actually I just read an article in rider magazine on the 2011 Road Glide Ultra. It's got the bigger frame mounted fairing and the 103 motor in it. Lots of extras for the middle low 20K region. Nice frickin' bike. Now if they came with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty.....
Check out the 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra, it has the 110" engine and will dent your wallet to the tune of about $36k.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #45
Sr. Contributor

And it's still slow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:

Check out the 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra, it has the 110" engine and will dent your wallet to the tune of about $36k.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT