Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

What is the total to buy the add-ons?

John Hoover was behind the original Vulcan Classic design, which was to extrapolate what an Indian might look like today in modern form. With Hoover's departure, it seems Kawasaki went on the HD bandwagon in design.

That being said, when you see what is spent on making the Nomad your own, I have to wonder if anyone could just buy something that has the same things out of the box and therefore without all the hassle for the same money or even less depending on the investment. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Nice spreadsheet!! Good idea to do that to keep track... but then again... I am a "number-nut"

From Cajun and CJ's answers (since I believe they both have added a majority or all of the add-on's listed, besides maybe a different seat), I would then venture a guess these add-on's would be any where from $2,500 to $3,500 total (depending of course on the quality of the add-on and whether one had them installed for them).

I looked up the list-price of a 2010 Nomad and it was $15,199 MSRP (I suppose that was the rock-bottom version).

$15,199 plus the add-on's (if you could get them for the 2010's yet) would put the total price (without tax, title, and license) from $17,699 to $18, 699.

It is too bad that more don't like the Voyager, since it lists for nearly that price, and one could likely get it for less.

With my next statement... I am not meaning to offend anyone that owns a new Voyager...

However, it is too bad Kawasaki didn't make the Voyager in a style and manner that appealed more to the loyal Nomad crowd. I know I would likely be riding one if it would have been designed different.

Just wondering... and sayin'... that's all. ;)

Thanks guys. :)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #17
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
John Hoover was behind the original Vulcan Classic design, which was to extrapolate what an Indian might look like today in modern form. With Hoover's departure, it seems Kawasaki went on the HD bandwagon in design.

That being said, when you see what is spent on making the Nomad your own, I have to wonder if anyone could just buy something that has the same things out of the box and therefore without all the hassle for the same money or even less depending on the investment. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Nice spreadsheet!! Good idea to do that to keep track... but then again... I am a "number-nut"

From Cajun and CJ's answers (since I believe they both have added a majority or all of the add-on's listed, besides maybe a different seat), I would then venture a guess these add-on's would be any where from $2,500 to $3,500 total (depending of course on the quality of the add-on and whether one had them installed for them).

I looked up the list-price of a 2010 Nomad and it was $15,199 MSRP (I suppose that was the rock-bottom version).

$15,199 plus the add-on's (if you could get them for the 2010's yet) would put the total price (without tax, title, and license) from $17,699 to $18, 699.

It is too bad that more don't like the Voyager, since it lists for nearly that price, and one could likely get it for less.

With my next statement... I am not meaning to offend anyone that owns a new Voyager...

However, it is too bad Kawasaki didn't make the Voyager in a style and manner that appealed more to the loyal Nomad crowd. I know I would likely be riding one if it would have been designed different.

Just wondering... and sayin'... that's all. ;)

Thanks guys. :)
There isn't a bike out there that I would want to keep stock the way it came from the factory. Even a CVO Ultra has room for improvement, and they come loaded to the nuts. That's one big reason I haven't seriously considered the Voyager.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who feels that way. I'm willing to spend the money to get what I want. The money can go to Kawasaki or it could go to Victory or Harley Davidson just as easily.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #18

ponch...what would you buy? Everyone likes different things and that's part of making the bike your own. HD, of course, found this out early on, charged max price for base bikes and then overcharged for add ons. Thus the aftermarket. Unfortunately the Nomad has not had a long enough run and been popular enough for the aftermarket to make may items and Ma Kaw does not seen to be interested, so we all make our own and adapt whatever we can find. Personally that is what I like, the fun of making something do something it was not designed for and the pleasure of people asking "How'ed ya do THAT!".
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 09-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

I don't like to fiddle as much as I used to, my expectations have changed and I've never been into farkles. The other thing is, there probably is a lot less to change on the more expensive/full featured bikes than on lesser bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch

There isn't a bike out there that I would want to keep stock the way it came from the factory. Even a CVO Ultra has room for improvement, and they come loaded to the nuts. That's one big reason I haven't seriously considered the Voyager.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who feels that way. I'm willing to spend the money to get what I want. The money can go to Kawasaki or it could go to Victory or Harley Davidson just as easily.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

If I was the only one to be on the bike, a BMW R1200GS Adventure. The R1200RT would be a close second. If I was doing two up riding, the K1200LT comes to mind and I am also looking at the EG Ultra. The Voyager is less money, but comes with less and has some teething issues and from the reviews I have read, has some shortcomings as well. It really comes down to price point and purpose. If I was restricted to under 17K and had to do two up, I think the voyager would do. I might consider the cross country as well. If I could spend 20-22K, it opens up some options. From a technical standpoint, the BMWs come with interesting things like electronic suspension adjustment (on the fly), traction control, ABS standard, antidive, heated seats and grips, electronically adjustable windshield, adjustable headlight (on the fly), and more power as well. The HD appeals to me from as emotional aspect. The paint, fit and finish are second to none and the bike just has character. I don't feel that way about any other bike. Well, may be a Ducati, but that's it and it's not the same.

I am a little more practical. I bought it, so it is mine. I am not so much into personalization and no matter what I would buy, I probably wouldn't add anything to it, so may be that's why the BMWs appeal to me, from a left brain perspective. Even with a HD, I wouldn't buy into the accessory non-sense. I am just not a groupie. I went through the customizing stuff with my Kz1000, doing the big bore kit etc, and it cured me. Generally speaking, nothing is more reliable than a well maintained stock bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Bubba" Andreu
ponch...what would you buy? Everyone likes different things and that's part of making the bike your own. HD, of course, found this out early on, charged max price for base bikes and then overcharged for add ons. Thus the aftermarket. Unfortunately the Nomad has not had a long enough run and been popular enough for the aftermarket to make may items and Ma Kaw does not seen to be interested, so we all make our own and adapt whatever we can find. Personally that is what I like, the fun of making something do something it was not designed for and the pleasure of people asking "How'ed ya do THAT!".
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #21

wow.... this is a scarey topic.... I don't think I want to start adding it up, and I just got the bike.
some of the items I brought from my old honda but....
fairing inner and outer $300
mounting brackets $150ish
marine radio $200
wompus rack $200ish
mustang seat $450
grasshopper bck rest $100
trunk $250
kyry grips $80
Kyry silver bullet lights $50
sheep skin $70
hard lowers $300
speakers (in fariing, two sets) $50
autocom system $250

I don't think I want to do the math....
(And I'm not done yet - paint job for fairing, trunk and lowers, speakers for the lowers, tach, )

2004 1500fi - Blue and Grey
Ultra Nomad - In progress

CMC#12065 - Edmonton

Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #22

I recently had to add the cost of my mods for insurance purposes. I had slightly over $2k.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

It is always a trade off and comes down to individual taste. I bought the Nomad because it had way more stock stuff than anything else I was considering for the money. The truth is that when I wear this one out I'm not sure what my next ride will be. I keep hoping that Kawi gets it right on future versions of the Nomad or Voyager.

I've added Kuryakyn grips and foot pegs (although the pegs came off of my previous bike), longer risers, a mustang seat with backrest and a J&M CB and an XM radio. Both radios will come off when I get rid of the Nomad.

I'm cheap, what can I say?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #24
Sr. Contributor

You're frugal, not cheap. There is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
It is always a trade off and comes down to individual taste. I bought the Nomad because it had way more stock stuff than anything else I was considering for the money. The truth is that when I wear this one out I'm not sure what my next ride will be. I keep hoping that Kawi gets it right on future versions of the Nomad or Voyager.

I've added Kuryakyn grips and foot pegs (although the pegs came off of my previous bike), longer risers, a mustang seat with backrest and a J&M CB and an XM radio. Both radios will come off when I get rid of the Nomad.

I'm cheap, what can I say?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
In retrospect, my $3000 estimate is probably a bit on the low side. My tourpak, fairing, pipes and seat alone exceed that figure. Like I said, I never added it all up - but after giving it more thought, I wouldn't be surprised if it was above the $5,000 mark.
LOL...I knew when I read that your figures were light.... ! With the seat and trunk alone I have over 2k invested....close to 5k with all the other things I've added on (it's a long list).....but I have it custom fit for me....just the way I like it!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #26

I agree that no off the show room floor bike will meet the expectations of any rider without some add ons. Even the BMW has some issues that would need to be addressed if I bought the 1200LT (soon to be 1300 or whatever it is going to be). The trunk has to be moved back which means a new bracket extender, forward lighting is always a plus, louder horn, etc.

As for my current bike, the ol' 99 has about $1500 in add ons as close as I can remember. It could be a tick more, but that sounds about right or at least that is all I will admit to the wife ;)
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #27
Sr. Contributor

The new bike will be an inline 6 cylinder displacing 1600CCs (http://www.tourer-2010-en.com/index/...ure.of.touring. It's output is 160HP and 129ft/bs of torque). As far as the trunk goes, don't know. I will let you know after I test ride the beast. One of the few shortcomings I have read about the K1200LT is the headlight: It's not bright enough. Still, I wouldn't be spending 5K to make my nomad a EG ultra, and even that isn't equipped as such as a GW or the LT. Just saying.

quote author=coacha board=forsalewanted thread=19655 post=296385 time=1283867888]I agree that no off the show room floor bike will meet the expectations of any rider without some add ons. Even the BMW has some issues that would need to be addressed if I bought the 1200LT (soon to be 1300 or whatever it is going to be). The trunk has to be moved back which means a new bracket extender, forward lighting is always a plus, louder horn, etc.

As for my current bike, the ol' 99 has about $1500 in add ons as close as I can remember. It could be a tick more, but that sounds about right or at least that is all I will admit to the wife ;)[/quote]
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #28

I am not sure, but I bet after this fall/winter the number will be quite a bit higher..... I am likely to enter "tear down mode" this week. If not, then I will wait until after the fall riding season to tear it down and work on in when the snow flys. I have a couple of big $ ideas.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #29

vOlusia,
Not to change the subject but I used to live and work in Worcester. Do you live in town our in the surrounding communities. I've lived in Worcester, Millbury, Sutton, Dudley.........

VBA # 1234
VROC # 32837
Patriot Guard Riders
Naval Advisory Group Vietnam 69-70

Old 09-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brote
vOlusia,
Not to change the subject but I used to live and work in Worcester. Do you live in town our in the surrounding communities. I've lived in Worcester, Millbury, Sutton, Dudley.........
Yes, I work in downtown and live on Grafton Hill, Woosta is still Woosta, some things never change ;) ::) :)