Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Century mark

It hit 100 degrees here today at 16:10. I heard it on the radio while I was driving home. That's awful warm for mid-April, even here. I think it was 104 in Yuma.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Century mark

I'm not sure if I could handle those temps for too long CJ. I'd be crazy from the heat and just start drinking and partying and carrying on and never go home and go looking for some strange and then end up in a divorce again. But on the other hand you don't get snow so maybe it would work out for me.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #3

Century mark

LOL beez. No snow, lots of parties. Hmmmm, maybe they are onto something.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Century mark

We had frost yesterday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
It hit 100 degrees here today at 16:10. I heard it on the radio while I was driving home. That's awful warm for mid-April, even here. I think it was 104 in Yuma.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Century mark

Yeah, I must admit that May-September really sucks. The parks and playgrounds are deserted during the day. You get your yardwork done between 0500-0800, otherwise it's too hot. It's a trade-off, snow for sunshine.

I've probably said it before, but my biggest gripe is that it doesn't cool off much at night. You can go outside at midnight during the summer and it's still over 100 degrees. That takes some getting used to. The heat would be tolerable if it was only hot during the day and it cooled off at night. There's just so much asphalt, concrete, stucco, and tile roofs that they heat up during the day and radiate the heat back into the environment at night.

They said on the news this morning that yesterday's official high at Sky Harbor Int'l Airport was 98. The weatherman said that is the highest temp since last November. The 100 degrees I heard would have been at the radio station I was listening to.

I know I taunt you colder climate guys with stories of riding all winter, but in a month, I'd be willing to trade places with any of you. You'll be riding in nice weather and it will be too hot here to touch my bike if it's out in the sun.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #6

Century mark

I couldn't stand living in the heat like that, when it reaches into the 90's and higher, I hide in the basement until dark. Last year we had a few days where it reached a 100, it sucked. Also when its -35 in Jan or Feb thats no fun either. I keep asking myself why I live in this climate, Its very hard on vehicles, and all the clothing,tools and equipment required to live here adds up to a lot of cash spent, dealing with cold weather.I guess as long as I enjoy moose and deer hunting, fishing and snowmobiling I'll tolerate it for a while yet.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #7

Century mark

I think we hit 92<sup>O</sup>F Sunday which was our higest so far this year, and a little early for 90's yet. It's cooling back a little for the rest of the week due to breezes blowing in from the coast.

It's never quite as hot as Phoenix here, but it still get's into the 100's for at least a week or two each summer. The nice thing about where I live is that in an hour I can be somewhere in the High Sierra where it's much cooler, plus there's at least 6 lakes within reasoable driving distance, Shaver and Huntington being both rather high elevation and usually quite nice in the summer.]

But we'll see how this global warming thing works out. Fresno may become the new Phoenix and Phoenix may become the new Hades.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Century mark

I would think out in the desert that it cools off at night. May be if you lived out in the boonies it would be better. I have also heard that Bisbee AZ is relatively nice in the summer, as I bet Flagstaff is as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Yeah, I must admit that May-September really sucks. The parks and playgrounds are deserted during the day. You get your yardwork done between 0500-0800, otherwise it's too hot. It's a trade-off, snow for sunshine.

I've probably said it before, but my biggest gripe is that it doesn't cool off much at night. You can go outside at midnight during the summer and it's still over 100 degrees. That takes some getting used to. The heat would be tolerable if it was only hot during the day and it cooled off at night. There's just so much asphalt, concrete, stucco, and tile roofs that they heat up during the day and radiate the heat back into the environment at night.

They said on the news this morning that yesterday's official high at Sky Harbor Int'l Airport was 98. The weatherman said that is the highest temp since last November. The 100 degrees I heard would have been at the radio station I was listening to.

I know I taunt you colder climate guys with stories of riding all winter, but in a month, I'd be willing to trade places with any of you. You'll be riding in nice weather and it will be too hot here to touch my bike if it's out in the sun.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Century mark

we hit 98 in Lakewood ca on sunday.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #10

Century mark

With the Phoenix metro buildout it takes a couple of hours just to get to the boonies. You can't go anyplace that there isn't some kind of construction. Go too far south and there is a lot of foot traffic and other things coming across the border, none of it friendly. Flagstaff traffic is horrible under the best of conditions. The streets are not setup for the amount of tourists going through there. A little pricey up there, too. Made the mistake of going through Sedona last weekend. Construction backup meant I had to duck walk and do Dan's slow parking lot practice for almost 40 minutes. :(" title="" border="0"/> During the summer months, everybody tries to go to the lakes around here on a weekend, gives a new meaning to traffic snarl.

We can still get to some pretty nice areas to get away from the super heat. Unfortunately it takes a few hours to get there anymore. Cactusjack is right, often 105 or better when we go to bed, can be 90 or better when we get up in the morning. That is why AZ didn't go to daylight savings time.

I envy all of you that can be someplace in say 25 to 50 miles or so. We have to go around 90 miles just to get started. This summer I'll leave real early in the morning when I am going out for a ride. Coming back, I will give consideration to a night run rather than deal with the afternoon oven.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Century mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg
With the Phoenix metro buildout it takes a couple of hours just to get to the boonies. You can't go anyplace that there isn't some kind of construction. Go too far south and there is a lot of foot traffic and other things coming across the border, none of it friendly. Flagstaff traffic is horrible under the best of conditions. The streets are not setup for the amount of tourists going through there. A little pricey up there, too. Made the mistake of going through Sedona last weekend. Construction backup meant I had to duck walk and do Dan's slow parking lot practice for almost 40 minutes. :(" title="" border="0"/> During the summer months, everybody tries to go to the lakes around here on a weekend, gives a new meaning to traffic snarl.

We can still get to some pretty nice areas to get away from the super heat. Unfortunately it takes a few hours to get there anymore. Cactusjack is right, often 105 or better when we go to bed, can be 90 or better when we get up in the morning. That is why AZ didn't go to daylight savings time.

I envy all of you that can be someplace in say 25 to 50 miles or so. We have to go around 90 miles just to get started. This summer I'll leave real early in the morning when I am going out for a ride. Coming back, I will give consideration to a night run rather than deal with the afternoon oven.
Not just the afternoon oven, but the mass of traffic coming back to the valley on a Sunday afternoon. I agree with Mark, when I go on a ride in the summer, my buddies and I meet at at 05:30 and try to get out of the metro area before the sun starts heating things up. The town of Payson is only about 70 miles away and is a welcome oasis, as well as the gateway to the Mogollon Rim, which does have a lot of nice riding at altitudes of ~6,000 feet and up.

When I lived in Salt Lake City, I could hitch up my boat trailer and have a worm in the water at any one of several gorgeous lakes or reservoirs within 60-90 minutes. And in temps 20 degrees less than in the city. I do miss that.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Century mark

There's traffic in AZ? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #13

Century mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
we hit 98 in Lakewood ca on sunday.

<marquee></marquee>

Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 PM   #14

Century mark

Bundled up last night and rode to the parts store for some oil. This morning, drove through snow on the way to work. Getting close, but not quite there, yet.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #15

Century mark

I completely agree with you cactusjack... Temps in the summers here in Arkansas are just dangerous... We get a lot of community "cool offs" where people who can't afford air conditioning can come and sit in publicly cooled places for free and play games and such. If they didn't have these events everyday, many more people would die from heat exhaustion than they already do. Its bad news sometimes...