Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #46

I think that would create a "flat spot" in how the bike accelerates.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #47

I think if done just right it would work. The big question is will it make a real world difference over your equal thickness mod.
With the horse power we are dealing with, I kind of doubt it.
And honestly I don't think I will have the time to do enough riding to really tell. And sense everyone seams to be happy with your mod I will just do one like it.
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #48

Please send me a pm referencing the throttle response Thanks Ray

Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by firered11 View Post
please send me a pm referencing the throttle response thanks ray
pm sent

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 01-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #50

Ray could you send me an email with the infor for the throttle upgrade. I have a 2014 vaquaro. Thanks

Saint

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Ray could you send me an email with the infor for the throttle upgrade. I have a 2014 vaquaro. Thanks

Saint
I sent a pm to you.

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 05-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #52

Send a message via MSN to nomadz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
OK...I am finally have the time and am starting this thread to detail my mod to the 1700 Vulcans.

The 1700's utilize a fly-by-wire system where we are not directly connected to the butterfly plates in the throttle bodies.

In the first 1400 miles of owning my Vaquero i could tell there was a pretty obvious delay in the response of the engine vs. what my wrist was doing. In the break-in period i knew some of that was due to a tight engine, but once i got it over 1000 miles and started floggin it hard it loosened up even more, but the lag was still there. Being that i own and operate a performance m/c shop this lag was bothersome as on a daily basis we are making our customer skoots perform better, and this lag was just the opposite of what i wanted.

Having dealt with other fbw systems i knew that what the ecu was programmed to do is in many instances not what is best for performance. So when the skoot went up on the dyno for it's baseline runs and stage 1 of it's (many to come!) mods, one thing i was gonna document was this throttle lag.

I did a half throttle dyno run to document the performance at that throttle position. I then performed my modification to the throttle grip turning it into a "quick turn" throttle. That is, for every twist of the wrist there will be a correspondingly greater signal sent to the ecu, prompting it to open the butterflies quicker and further.

Upon start-up i could tell much better throttle response so that was promising. Performing the same 1/2 throttle dyno run the increase in performance was huge, more than i expected.

DYNO GRAPH...

Once the skoot was out on the road on it's first test ride the improvement was immediately noticed, as the same throttle input allowed for quicker acceleration. In normal riding i did not have to twist the throttle so aggressively to get the rate of acceleration that i wanted, and it was so nice to have almost instant acceleration from a standstill without having the cars behind me gettin too close.

A very simple mod that has made a huge improvement in an area of performance that was sorely needed. I have been working on skoots for 35 years and i still wonder why things like delaying performance is done, especially when a fix is made and the improvements are this good.

I am offering this mod to anyone seeking a perfomance improvement on the Vulcan 1700's ONLY, DOES NOT FIT the 2000. Any one interested can pm me for details.

Hope this clears up ANY and ALL concerns and provides the info to those who wiill benefit from it.

THANX

RACNRAY

Hi Ray

Sure would like one of these throttle mods. I would buy the grips already done up with the mod. Just let me know a price and I will send you the monies.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadz View Post
hi ray

sure would like one of these throttle mods. I would buy the grips already done up with the mod. Just let me know a price and i will send you the monies.
pm sent

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #54
Advanced Member

throttle mod

hey Ray can you please send me a pm
in reguards to your throttle mod. THANK YOU in advance!

2014 vaquero

Old 05-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
hey Ray can you please send me a pm
in reguards to your throttle mod. THANK YOU in advance!

2014 vaquero
pm sent

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 05-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #56

hey ray can you send the perticulars on the throttle mod. 2012 1700

Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #57

Got my grips in today. 2 days from phone call to my front door. Will get them installed when my new bars come in. Thanks Ray

Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy kieth rice View Post
hey ray can you send the perticulars on the throttle mod. 2012 1700
Holy missed message Batman...I do believe I did not see your post, I apologize. I have sent a pm just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koga View Post
Got my grips in today. 2 days from phone call to my front door. Will get them installed when my new bars come in. Thanks Ray
Glad ya gottem, let us know the results.

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 05-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #59

Grips installed, fast shipping, thanks Ray!
Initial ride, response is great, seems the 'flat spots' I used to feel on initial throttle movement to about half travel are gone. I had thought (and was concerned) this mod might just bump up the demand like twisting half throttle every time I pull it back even a small amount, but it does not and actually gives a real nice performance improvement. Again, the area I used to feel for about the first 200 yds. or more of travel after twisting the throttle, does not feel as sluggish or like it's bogging down. Nice smooth transition from standstill and steady power increase without any big jumps. Difficult to explain, you need feel it, but I recommend the mod.
Thanks again Ray. Between this, my open air mod, Cobra Power Commander and removing the stock pipe baffles, this bike performs MUCH different than stock and acts allot more like my loaded 1600 (previous bike with Cobra pipes, Cobra module, Open air intake). I was actually a bit taken back by the performance of the 1700 vs. my 1600, but the 1700 now moves better than the 1600. Took some doing but really seems Kawasaki starves these motors with stock set up. There is beef to be found in those jugs!
2010 Voyager - Wrapped pipes; Ivan ECU Flash; Engine Ice; Debaffled stock exhaust; Thunder Intake; Ray's throttle mod on Kuryakan grips; Pax floorboard extensions; cutdown windshield; VStar trunk rack; iPod adapter. Former 2003 1600 Classic. Vulcan guy for life !!

Last edited by Calflan; 05-29-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #60

Glad to hear of the improvements and the detailed explanation.

One thing, I really like your last sentence..." There is beef to be found in those jugs!"

YEA MAN!!!

RACNRAY