Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > Western Canada/Northwest Regional Rally for 2012 - "Canadian Rockies Rally"
July 17-19

Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #1

Looking for some input from our Canadian members

Hi All,

I am trying to plan my ride home from the Canmore Rally in July. I will be taking HWY 1 west to Revelstoke then 23 south.

From 23 I am debating between taking 31 to Kaslo/Nelson or 6 to Siverton/Nelson. Can anyone offer some input on either of these two routes?

Any suggestions for cool towns, eats, or hotels? Must have good cold Canadian beer within walking distance of the hotel.

Thanks !
Greg

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Top Contributor

That is the same route we will be coming back as well Greg...staying on 6 through Silverton once we leave Nakusp. If past practice holds true...I assume you will be leaving the rally early...?? You know you are more than welcome to join us if you ARE staying for the entire rally. I have rooms blocked out in Nakusp and Omak for our group on the return trip home....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Hi Greg,

My knowledge of the area you are seeking input for is quite outdated. But if the winds take you down to HWY 3 westbound (e.g. Osoyoos, B.C.), I would recommend a stop at historic Greenwood, B.C., you can quench your thirst at the pub there and tell your family that you've been to the "smallest city" of Canada.

When in B.C. ask for Whiskey Jack Ale by Whistler Brewing Company or any other flavor of your choice by the same brewery. Nowadays, I alternate between Hermann's Dark Lager and Sea Dog Amber Ale from Vancouver Island Brewery. Both breweries are really good. Of course, we also have Kokanee Gold, from Creston, B.C. and it should be available in fine establishments throughout B.C. and AB.

If Omak, WA is on your way home and you need accommodation, BestWestern is the best hotel we have ever stayed on a road trip (they will give you rider discount or ask for it). Whenever we end up in Omak, either we're coming from Coulee Corridor or we are going to ride the Corridor to some extent, one of our all time favorite rides.

I hope you enjoy your time in B.C.

E.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #4

Thanks Elvis. That is exactly what I was looking for, I like that Byways website.

Kris you are correct. I will be arriving Monday afternoon and leaving Wednesday morning. Duty calls but I am glad for the time I can attend.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #5

Kris..I will be riding for a week or so before the rally. My intensions are to leave the island and head up to canmore by the way of Whistler/duffy lake road to cache creek, then on to canmore..hopefully I will connect with the group of you and ride into town with you. I will keep an eye on your intinery as time nears...Bdog

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Kris..I will be riding for a week or so before the rally. My intensions are to leave the island and head up to canmore by the way of Whistler/duffy lake road to cache creek, then on to canmore..hopefully I will connect with the group of you and ride into town with you. I will keep an eye on your intinery as time nears...Bdog
Bdog....that is a great ride....especially Duffy Lake Rd. to Lillooet! My wife and I rode that via Whistler a couple summers ago right after the new paving project....just awesome!

Our route to Canmore will take us into eastern Washington where we plan to cross the border just north of Metaline Falls in the very far NE corner of Washington. We'll then take the Crowsnest Hwy 3 east to Coleman, AB. From there we will head north on 22 toward Calgary before cutting back toward Canmore on 40 (Kananaskis Trail). I just wanted to take a route I have never before ridden. Sounds like we won't be on the same track until we reach Canmore.

I am definitely looking forward to meeting you an sharing a couple pulls on something tasty....!

Cheers...Kris
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #7

Schoeney, I would head East on 31 Kaslo/Nelson once you get to New Denver.
Kaslo is a beautiful little town with a few things to see while you explore, and Hwy 31 is fairly quiet. The road between Kaslo & Nelson on the other hand is busy depending on the time of day. Nelson is a great little city, full of character.
Link to accomadations: http://kaslo.travel.bc.ca/accommodations/motels/

Another option to Revelstoke is to take Hwy 93 to Radium then North to Golden and then Revelstoke.
I shot a video of that area last year which I will try to embed. If it doesn't work send me a PM with your email if you'd like to see it.

The password is: skeeter

http://vimeo.com/29184529

Last edited by leadbelly; 01-24-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #8

Thanks Dwayne,

I enjoyed the video, after watching it a few minutes I remembered watching it several months ago. Very nice area and I appreciate the input on the roads.

Greg

Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #9

Thumbs Up

Having travelled all of these roads (on 4 wheels unfortunatley) the most scenic route is south of Revelstoke to Nukusp then on to New Denver, the Valhalla Inn there is a very biker friendly hotel/restaraunt(Joan & Albrieght were the owners and still are there) head for Kaslo go down towards Crawford Bay ferry. There you have a chioce, take the ferry and go down towards Creston or stay on the highway and head for Nelson. All of these highways are on the Destination Highways must ride list so they are all excellent rides.The sad part is there are so many choices that you might not be able to hit them all! Not only is the riding great but there is so much to see and do , Revelstoke is a place to visit they have rail way museum and out door band stand with live music everyday in the summer, Halcyon,Nakuspand Ainsworth Hot springs are all along the way, New Denver has the Japanese Internment Camp Gardens fromWW2, Sandon Ghost Town, and Kaslo with the Paddel Wheel Boat. With all there is to see and do, that might mean another trip or two. OH DARN!
PS The Sturgis North Bike Ralley is the weekend after the our ralley so that's another option.
Here is the link to Destination Highways site.
http://www.destinationhighways.com/

I'm now on an 07 Nomad Touring Edition so I will be back on these roads!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #10

I have to agree with both leadbelly and funinsno about the New Denver, Kaslo and Kootenay Lakes region. Greata riding and probably not enough time to do it all i one trip!

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #11

Thanks all. Great info.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #12

Thumbs Up More stuff to do!

Just another note to all that are thinking about comming to our riding area is that it's the world famous CALGARY STAMPEDE'S 100 aniversery this year! The dates are July 6-15, sooooo if people really want to make this an extended vacation with a couple of easy ride days in between events this is it!!

PS If you want to keep the organized rides for the rally and want some easy riding ideas close to Calgary pm me!

http://corporate.calgarystampede.com...entennial.html