Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
You make a compelling argument on why Harleys sell so many bikes Tim. Subjective looks alone. I like Harleys by the way. I chose function over form. BTW I haven't heard too many negative comments on my bike's "looks"

The Star Ship Enterprise look can grow on you.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordgos View Post
Maybe look into leap frogging into the next phase. Look what these 2 guys did.

Just skip the Victory and go to a sport touring bike.

So Cliff,,, when you trading your Yamaha off on a Beemer ???

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 07-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodooman View Post
.......Anyone have any comments/thoughts on the K ACT braking system on the new Kawis?
Just purchased my 2015 and only have 850 miles on it but I do like the KACT braking system so far.

You can feel when it is applying more action through the brake pedal and brake lever.

I think it would be good when you have your feet on the cruising pegs and need to do a panic stop. You can apply the front brake before the rear brake but will also have the rear brake action. That just may give you that few extra feet of stopping power needed before you can get your right foot on the brake pedal.

If you apply the rear brake only you will get stopping power to one of the front rotors also so you do need to always check pads on both front rotors as they could wear differently.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #19
Advanced Member

The K Act system has my bike stopping on a dime. Its my first ABS bike so it took a little getting used to.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
The K Act system has my bike stopping on a dime. Its my first ABS bike so it took a little getting used to.
my k-act system on my bike can stop on a dime and leave a nickels change.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #21

I looked at a Victory Magnum in that Plasma green color and loved the looks of that bike. The ergo's were decent and the stock options were good as well. It also had the 10 speaker radio system that is expensive. The trans is really clunky and the motor had some weird vibes, not in a bad way but in a "were trying to hard to be a Harley" kinda way. Ultimately the price killed the deal and my Kawasaki dealer set me up on a new leftover 14 Vaquero SE with ABS for $14200.00 and just couldn't pass it up.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
BTW I haven't heard too many negative comments on my bike's "looks"

Yes you have. We all call it turd brown.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #23

My former goal was for my next bike to be a CCT, but when I totaled my Sabre, I just couldn't afford one. I am very happy with the Voyager, though. I would upgrade if I won a big lottery otherwise, the Voyager has a home for a long time.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
So Cliff,,, when you trading your Yamaha off on a Beemer ???
You know Dave if I did that I could be riding a BMW right now. I went so far as to discuss that scenario with my wife. It's very tempting.

The Yamaha has more sentimental value then monetary value to me so I will patiently wait for the next year and a half and after that I will be able keep the Yamaha and start shopping for a BMW in earnest.

Last edited by cliffordgos; 07-15-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:16 PM   #25

What I cant get past is the "wheel barrow' style handlebars, and the fact that the shield is so far away from the rider,that it did not to help much with the wind. I bought a Nomad, 2012 instead.
58 years behind bars

Old 07-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #26

I rode the CCT and the Vision, bought a Vaquero. The looks of the Vision just plain does not work for me at all. I never have cared for the so-called handlebar mounted fairing like on the CCT. IMO the Vaquero is the better looking bike. The paint on some of the Victory bags has been horrible. The Vaquero after putting on a Corbin seat has been one of the most comfortable bikes for all day rides that I have owned. Barry

Old 07-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #27

Instead of trying to talk you into getting this or that bike, I'll tell you my story with as honest observations as I can make. I have three bikes presently. One is a 2000, 1500 Nomad. The second is a 2007 Nomad. You can find a picture of this bike in the "for sale" section under 2007 Nomad Loaded. I loved the first one so much, that I decided to get a second, newer and larger one and load it up for touring. That is what we like to do. But, it also was to pull duty as a daily rider. I love that bike as well, and think it is truly a thing of beauty. It performs very well and we have toured on it. As modified, it holds a lot of stuff and has more than 'stock' power. It is extremely comfortable, because I have done a LOT to make it so. All of that being said, the third bike I own is a CCT Victory. I bought it because of the features and research I did on what was to be my next bike when I wore the Nomad out. I pulled the trigger on it way early because a deal came along that I could not refuse.

Now, I have about seven thousand miles on the Vic. I've put a combined seventy five thousand miles on the Nomads. The victory beats the Nomads in just about every catagory, even the very heavily modified 2007. This bike rides like no other I have been on. Turning, taking a curve, even a switchback, requires little more than just anticipating the turn. The front is very light , but extremely controllable. Power, and mine is only slightly modified, is beyond the Kawasaki's. Roll on from seventy plus while still in sixth gear is quick and very positive. Even loaded and two up I have NO issues passing whatever I want out on the road. Getting from 75 to 105 is easy and happens quickly. Even getting from 0 to 60 only applying about or less than half throttle is very quick. Smooth as silk, and stopping power is all there. The more I ride this bike the greater confidence it instills in me. I do things with the Vic I would never even consider doing on the Nomads.

Are there downsides? Yes. The Vic throws much more heat, but as compared to the Nomads, not the Voyager. Compared to the Voyager, it's close. Yes, I've spent some time on that bike too. The first two shifts are loud and 'clunky'. This transmission is not as easy as the Nomads. But, it is good once you get used to the difference and adjust for it. I am 5-9, so I'm not tall, but I like the extra room of the Vic and find it to be no issue at all. Pull back bars were necessary, but so were they on the other bikes. The stock seat is ok but some kind of aftermarket alteration is probably going to be needed. I like the hydraulic clutch on the Nomad better, but again, I've adjusted. There are a few, in my mind, minor things to get used to on the Vic, but I've never had a bike that didn't have something or other that required getting used to. I wouldn't think twice now about getting a Vic again. In many ways, it is superior to Kawi and even Harley. Yeah, I've ridden those too. But that is a little subjective even though It is my opinion formed from experience. I suggest you ride them all and decide for yourself. Good luck with the hunt.

One last thought, there are those that are making up to 200HP with the Victory motor in it's 'mostly' stock form. Yes, they are that strong.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #28

Paul
Nice write up. I too have a cct. At 6ft 5 with a 36 inseam what sold me was the leg room and big floor boards for my size 15 feet.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Yes you have. We all call it turd brown.
"We" is just you joel....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #30

I had a cross roads which is basically a cross country without a fairing but I hated the bike. Weird riding position, clunky transmission as many have said, subpar handling and worst of all - Victory likes to nickel and dime you on everything - even a heel shifter is a $220 option.
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic
2000 Harley Davidson Fatboy
1991 Kawasaki "Tomcat"