Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #31

Thanks everyone. I think the best route for me is to hit Thunder Beach and check out the seats there. The stock seat will have to make do until then. Really don't want to spend $700 on a seat that just won't work. Definitely ready for some warm weather though.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #32
Top Contributor

Unfortunately sitting on a custom seat for 5 minutes is not going to tell you how it is going to be after 2 or 3 hours.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Unfortunately sitting on a custom seat for 5 minutes is not going to tell you how it is going to be after 2 or 3 hours.

You're absolutely right, I'll make sure I have plenty of water, snacks, phone fully charged and go pee before I make my perch

Old 02-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #34
Advanced Member

Corbin seat customer satisfaction.

I went with a Corbin seat for 3 reasons. One, because they will put the seat on your ride, minus the covering and let you ride for awhile to let you try it out and see if you wan to modify it before covering it. No charge for any modifications. Two, if after you have had it for a time and still are not happy, they will modify it one time, no charge, providing they don't have to do much to the covering. Three, Corbin is about two hours from where I live and I could make an appointment and watch them make my seat while I waited.

The modifications and charges were what they offered when I purchased my saddle and latter the back rests. The back rest for the M.C.A. trunk was a one of a kind and might have been $25.00 more than a standard back rest. I purchased one of each.

I have seen bikes from all over the west coast there. I have been there three times and always had good service. They are located in central California, close to the coast. They are also located on the east coast I think somewhere in Florida. Not to sure on that so you would have to check.

There was skoot from the state of Washington and another that was a high dollar custom in the terms of a paint job and mods to the bike. They are not afraid to take their time and be very careful.

The seat pans are what I would call mass produced. But the rest is all hand done.

I am very happy with the service I received an how the seat feels. My wife is very happy also. That stock seat was like sitting on a bag of nuts and bolts.

My son put one on his bike and is a happy camper.

I highly recommend them because of the great customer service and the product they sell. There is a wide choice of materials, colors, and embroidery patters that they will do.

Call them before you make a commitment.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
I went with a Corbin seat for 3 reasons. One, because they will put the seat on your ride, minus the covering and let you ride for awhile to let you try it out and see if you wan to modify it before covering it. No charge for any modifications. Two, if after you have had it for a time and still are not happy, they will modify it one time, no charge, providing they don't have to do much to the covering. Three, Corbin is about two hours from where I live and I could make an appointment and watch them make my seat while I waited.

The modifications and charges were what they offered when I purchased my saddle and latter the back rests. The back rest for the M.C.A. trunk was a one of a kind and might have been $25.00 more than a standard back rest. I purchased one of each.

I have seen bikes from all over the west coast there. I have been there three times and always had good service. They are located in central California, close to the coast. They are also located on the east coast I think somewhere in Florida. Not to sure on that so you would have to check.

There was skoot from the state of Washington and another that was a high dollar custom in the terms of a paint job and mods to the bike. They are not afraid to take their time and be very careful.

The seat pans are what I would call mass produced. But the rest is all hand done.

I am very happy with the service I received an how the seat feels. My wife is very happy also. That stock seat was like sitting on a bag of nuts and bolts.

I highly recommend them because of the great customer service and the product they sell. There is a wide choice of materials, colors, and embroidery patters that they will do.

Russell, Bill Mayer and Laam Seats do ride in service too. They are all in California. Rich's Seats is another high end seat maker, they do ride in, but they are in Washington State.

The thing about Corbin, and I say this about BMWs, is that their seat pans suck. They don't fit nicely like the stockers. If you use the stock pan with the other vendors, it will work fine.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #36

Mustang seats are not waterproof. Mine soaks in water through the stitching and keeps my jeans wet a few days after a rain. I normally garage my bike but this happens on my long trips.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffey67 View Post
Mustang seats are not waterproof. Mine soaks in water through the stitching and keeps my jeans wet a few days after a rain. I normally garage my bike but this happens on my long trips.
Try seam sealer. Sold in camping dept. It's clear and designed for tents. Most seats leak at the seams
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #38

Quote:

Snake Ranch, Ponch made a good point, does your seat pan fit well?

Old 02-21-2015, 12:46 AM   #39

Allen S the Corbin seat co. in Florida located in Ormond Beach so there is a reason for Daytona bike week

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 02-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #40

My seat pan fits perfect on my Corbin, it's spot on

Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 AM   #41
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
My seat pan fits perfect on my Corbin, it's spot on
Not on some BMWs I have seen and that was my qualifier.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #42
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen S View Post
Snake Ranch, Ponch made a good point, does your seat pan fit well?
Yes it does, it locks in place just like the factory pan does. I don't have any complaints. Put the seat in place, push down, and click click it's locked on.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Yes it does, it locks in place just like the factory pan does. I don't have any complaints. Put the seat in place, push down, and click click it's locked on.
So as far as comfort, any butt burn or anything? Does the height change? I like the idea of 15" of support and the stitching. Can you ride long distances with no discomfort? Is there plenty of support for the passenger using the backrest?

Old 02-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #44

My Corbin seat pans have always fit better than stock. The seats fit tighter, with smaller to no gaps, and tend to follow the lines of the bodywork around them better.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 02-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #45
Sr. Contributor

That hasn't been the case on the new LC RT. Some people got the one piece dual tour seat and there were gaps. The factory seat is a two piece. The one piece is the only seat they have for that model. With Russell et al, they use the factory pans, which fit fine on the beemers and it retains the heated function. No wiring issues to mess with.

The only Corbin seat I've sat on was the Rumble Seat on a V2K. Much better than the stock seat. A lot stiffer, but in a good way, not like sitting on a bench.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT