Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #1

Massachusetts Motorcycle annual safety inspections

Hi there
Here is the latest this year for us lucky folks in Mass.
Will your state be next? What difference does it make if I have auxiliary lamps and stuff except to me anyway?
Just downloaded this from the BOSTONBIKER.COM website. ENJOY

All motorcycle inspections will now be entered directly in a computer, transmitted to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, and only then the sticker is ready for your bike. But I'm getting ahead of myself....

Beginning on February 1st the Registry of Motor Vehicles instituted a new inspection program where recording and reporting will be done via the internet – all motorcycle inspection information will be uploaded to RMV computers. During inspection, customers will not be allowed in the inspection bay. I always thought that this was an insurance requirement that the shop owner had to adhere to but it seems that the state is driving this requirement.

At beginning of the inspection the plate number, VIN, and inspector number are entered into the computer. Any mismatch will block the inspection from proceeding. The inspector is them prompted to confirm the motorcycle info by checking that the information on the registration match the bike (Year, Make, Model, VIN, Plate number, Plate type, and State of registration). The inspector is then prompted to confirm the options on the bike and record them in the computer.

* Presence of a swing arm (or is bike a rigid frame)
* Are there rear shocks installed
* Is there an odometer
* Are there turn signals and reflectors
* Any auxiliary lamps
* Is there a side car
* Does the bike have a windshield

Once these are recorded in the computer the inspector is prompted, step-by-step to perform the inspection. Here is another new item... The license plate must be mounted horizontally! Any bike with a vertical plate will be rejected.

Exhaust... Motorcycle muffler(s) must minimize noise and be functioning properly. It will be rejected if, the bike has cut-outs or bypass of baffle plates, screens, or other original internal parts that have been removed and not replaced. If a tailpipe is pinched or restricted or if the exhaust system components are not securely fastened with proper clamps/hangers. Lastly, the bike will be rejected if there is a straight pipe (none are allowed). The Registry defines Unnecessary Noise as "any noise which is louder than that emitted by the motorcycle with original manufacturer muffler and exhaust system equipment."

Handlebars.... The height of the grips cannot be higher than the operator’s shoulder level when they are seated on the bike. Additionally, a minimum of 18 inches is required between grip ends.

These are only a few highlights of the inspection requirements. After the inspection, the motorcyclist will be given a comprehensive Motorcycle Inspection Report (MIR) at the end of the inspection. This will be similar to the inspection reports that you get when you have your car/truck inspected today.

If your bike fails the inspection then you can have a free retest at the same testing inspection station within 20 days (as determined by the computer system). Only the failed items will need to be re-tested.

The online inspection report will be available to law enforcement. What this means is that if your bike fails inspection and you are stopped then the officer gets to see everything about your inspection. This is only a problem if your bike fails (lets say for bad tires and you haven't changed them), the officer knows this and now has you over a barrel. You cannot ride your bike if it failed for a safety related item and you have not yet repaired it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #2

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
-- H.L. Mencken
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 04-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Advanced Member

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Here is AZ, we don't have safety inspections but we do have emissions inspections. This is a real treat - you drive the vehicle in on the dyno and they make you stand in a little booth about the size of the old telephone booths. They run the vehicle on the dyno or on newer vehicles, they just plug a harness into the ECM plug under the dash.

When they are done, you pull the vehicle forward and they do a couple of other checks, then they ask for your $28 fee. So you write a check because they don't take plastic (too convenient for the customer) then they have you pull forward a few feet and then and only then - they tell you whether or not you passed the test. If you failed, they tell you to pull around and park and enter the office. The guy in the office is behind what must be bullet-proof glass and they tell you the most likely causes for you to have failed the test. You cannot get back in the testing area, you can only exit back out to the parking lot. I am so happy to only have to go through this circle jerk once every two years for each vehicle.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #5

We have yearly inspections in NY State for all vehicles. They are pretty much as Damark115 stated.
One thing I don't understand. If you can not drive your vehicle if it fails for a safty violation, how do you get it to a shop to get it fixed? Or do you have to have the work done at the shop doing the inspection?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #6

As far a bikes go in Ontario there is no annual testing of any kind yet. When a used vehicle here transfers ownership to another person that is when it gets a safety check.
Cars and trucks here need an emissions test every two years @ $38.00 a test. Ive never failed a test yet, but parted with $38.00 quite a few times.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #7

Well, now I know 3 states I will never live in.

The only inspection we have in Kentucky happens when your parked and someone walks up inspects your bike and says "nice bike" or"sweet".

If you bring an out of state vehicle to Kentucky and want to license it they walk outside and check the V.I.N. number other than that you can buy, sell, or trade and they never check a vehicle.
I hope it stays this way.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Here in TX they do a standard inspection like for a car. Make sure the signals work, headlight, horn, etc. The inspector takes it for a short ride up the street to make sure everything is still attached and appropriate and you pass. It could be much worse as I've seen here. Oh, and they don't care if you've altered your pipes.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 AM   #9

That would be bad for me if they ever did any thing like that for trucks. I dont like that the cop can see the inspection report. It takes away my ability to say "oh, I didnt know" Around here. a lot of us have to spend a little time before each inspection getting our truck legal and then another afterwards getting it back the way it was.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #10

Whew, that's cruel stuff... thank Gosh I'm 12 miles south of the Mass border ;)

Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #11

Just had my Mass inspection done on Saturday... The guy gave my bike quick check (light s, tires, turn signals etc.) all done in the parking lot with me sitting on the bike. He did find that the valve stem on my front tire was starting to dry rot. Safety inspections I think are a positive thing, but if the state is going to give a 20 day time limit to fix your bike then a trooper should not have the authority to cite you based on your inspection results. I also agree increased restrictions on exhaust are not needed

More and more people are pushing to place restrictions on exhaust modifications. In our town there is a lawyer who bought a house that sits about 100 yards from a four lane road which leads to a beach. The beach, a popular hangout for bike riders and others , is in the next town, but you need to pass through our town to get there. Now because this guy is disturbed by the road noise, which if anything has decreased over the last few decades, he is pushing for the town " to adopt a requirement that all post-1982 model year motorcycles operating on public roads in Hingham bear the requisite manufacturer’s frame and exhaust system labeling."
"The purpose of this article, if approved, is to allow the Hingham Police to cite operators of any motorcycles that are not in compliance with the requirements it sets forth"

What I find disturbing is that some thing like this could pass because the majority of the people that will be effected won't have the opportunity to vote because they don't live in the town, and those that ride in town are greatly out numbered by those that don't.

If interested you can read these articles

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hingham/n...ngham-resident

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hingham/a...oise-seriously

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....

Old 04-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM
Just had my Mass inspection done on Saturday... The guy gave my bike quick check (light s, tires, turn signals etc.) all done in the parking lot with me sitting on the bike. He did find that the valve stem on my front tire was starting to dry rot. Safety inspections I think are a positive thing, but if the state is going to give a 20 day time limit to fix your bike then a trooper should not have the authority to cite you based on your inspection results. I also agree increased restrictions on exhaust are not needed

More and more people are pushing to place restrictions on exhaust modifications. In our town there is a lawyer who bought a house that sits about 100 yards from a four lane road which leads to a beach. The beach, a popular hangout for bike riders and others , is in the next town, but you need to pass through our town to get there. Now because this guy is disturbed by the road noise, which if anything has decreased over the last few decades, he is pushing for the town " to adopt a requirement that all post-1982 model year motorcycles operating on public roads in Hingham bear the requisite manufacturer’s frame and exhaust system labeling."
"The purpose of this article, if approved, is to allow the Hingham Police to cite operators of any motorcycles that are not in compliance with the requirements it sets forth"

What I find disturbing is that some thing like this could pass because the majority of the people that will be effected won't have the opportunity to vote because they don't live in the town, and those that ride in town are greatly out numbered by those that don't.

If interested you can read these articles

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hingham/n...ngham-resident

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hingham/a...oise-seriously
I registered to comment in that newspaper. Here's what I wrote:

Tom Sobran reminds me of someone who buys a house next to an airport or gun club that have existed forever and then complains about the noise. What if people complained about any aftermarket exhaust sold for automobiles. What if people complained about the noise on boats. Does he and everyone else understand those ramifications?

On another note....bikers with straight pipes who just sits in one spot and revs the engine for noise effect could be dealt with by other laws already written.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Thank goodness all they do here is check to make sure lights and turn signals work, give 'em 5 bucks and you're off.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #14

I don't have a problem with the safety check of lights and brakes Especially on cars. The problem is the government never stops next year it will be anther fee or tax or who knows what. Fortunately the dealer did mine here and its only 6.00 dollars .

Old 05-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #15

I inspect the safety of my own bike and I don't need anyone else riding my bike to tell me how safe it is. Just disregard my sig pic...
I don't ever want anyone I don't know riding or driving any of my vehicles.