Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
I have found after the flash I can run 6th at 70 but still not feeling it, better but not great. At 80mph it is better. But I can not compare it to a Voyager since the clutch vibrations are different than my Vaquero. Because the clutch is different. I have not been out on the freeway for some time and I just towed home a Trailer, I was not liking it even in 5th at 70. Just repacked the bearings today And need new lights then I can re-evaluate the vibrations. But It was about the same without the trailer on the way to pick it up.
You know, you bring up a good point with the Vaquero clutch being different, I hadn’t taken that into account. I can see how it would feel different being that it isn’t supposed to be as “cushioned” as the Voyager. Also, not that it should make a difference at all, but the Vaquero has an extra piston ring on the pistons than the Voyager as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #137

Quote:
but the Vaquero has an extra piston ring on the pistons than the Voyager as well.
I Am told they take about 10,000 miles to really break in. I think the rings may have something to do with that. I should get there this summer. Now that I have my Trailer and Hitch.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 05-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #138

Thumbs Up Sayin' it again, Ivan is da man!

Greetings,

Just in case the cheap seats haven't heard the cheers for Ivan's ECU magic.
With the most recent flash and a thousand miles of travel, I could not be happier.
MPG's are the best they have ever been. Scoot runs great, it has consistant, dependable, perdictable performance and response.
The bride and I put a couple hundred on yesterday and it was a warm one. Bikes performed beautifully. Even when we got stuck in Galena tourist traffic, the temp, fans and engine response all behaved as expected.

Thank you Ivan. Your time and knowledge are very much appreciated!

For those of you who haven't pulled the trigger yet. are you waiting for?
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 05-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #139

can this be done to the 1500 Nomad?

Old 05-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #140

He has not done this to the 1500/1600 bikes.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #141

Thanks for advising JD Hog

Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #142

I recently had the dealership where I bought my bike order a Freedom Performance True Dual exhaust system for my ‘16 Vaquero. I also asked them to pull my ECU and send it to Ivan in NY for a flash.

I ordered an all chrome exhaust. They installed a chrome exhaust with black tips.

They didn’t send the ECU to Ivan, they sent it someplace else and my ride sounded like crap with tons of backfires and pops. I asked them again to send ECU to Ivan and the owner was strangely resistant to doing that, saying they could fix it by adjusting the valves.

The owner also claimed Ivan once worked for the place where they first sent the ECU. I said I don’t care, send to Ivan. This was Saturday, the owner said he would send it Tuesday.

I called them Tuesday afternoon. Did you send my ECU to Ivan yet? No, the guys here are going to take it for a spin, see if they need to close off a pair valve. What?

I told him according to the forums all Ivan needs to know is what bike and exhaust system you have and the flash works great, no need to adjust valves. Am I missing something?

I brought in a perfectly good bike that was working fine, and weeks later I still don’t have it back, and the owner said if he sends the ECU to Ivan, as I asked (and already paid for) that all he’ll do is put it back in and that’s it.....after his repair shop has already done who knows what to my bike

Something fishy is going on. Any suggestions?

Hope the dealership does the right thing because the bike is barely over a year old (I bought it as a leftover) and I’m pretty sure Kawasaki would be concerned that all work done on the bike was done by the dealership, which took a bike that was running right and turned it into a backfiring sled.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #143
Top Contributor

Very fishy indeed. You cannot adjust the valves. The Vaquero's have hydraulic lifters that are non adjustable.

In hindsight you should have taken off the ECU yourself and sent it to Ivan.
Sounds to me like the dealership does not have a clue what they are doing.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulshine View Post
I recently had the dealership where I bought my bike order a Freedom Performance True Dual exhaust system for my ‘16 Vaquero. I also asked them to pull my ECU and send it to Ivan in NY for a flash.

I ordered an all chrome exhaust. They installed a chrome exhaust with black tips.

They didn’t send the ECU to Ivan, they sent it someplace else and my ride sounded like crap with tons of backfires and pops. I asked them again to send ECU to Ivan and the owner was strangely resistant to doing that, saying they could fix it by adjusting the valves.

The owner also claimed Ivan once worked for the place where they first sent the ECU. I said I don’t care, send to Ivan. This was Saturday, the owner said he would send it Tuesday.

I called them Tuesday afternoon. Did you send my ECU to Ivan yet? No, the guys here are going to take it for a spin, see if they need to close off a pair valve. What?

I told him according to the forums all Ivan needs to know is what bike and exhaust system you have and the flash works great, no need to adjust valves. Am I missing something?

I brought in a perfectly good bike that was working fine, and weeks later I still don’t have it back, and the owner said if he sends the ECU to Ivan, as I asked (and already paid for) that all he’ll do is put it back in and that’s it.....after his repair shop has already done who knows what to my bike

Something fishy is going on. Any suggestions?

Hope the dealership does the right thing because the bike is barely over a year old (I bought it as a leftover) and I’m pretty sure Kawasaki would be concerned that all work done on the bike was done by the dealership, which took a bike that was running right and turned it into a backfiring sled.
Either you're "Shade125" over on the Vulcan forums, or there are more than one person having seriously bad dealership issues at the moment?

In your place I would tell them to stop what they're doing, collect the bike as it is, insist on a refund for the flash that's been done because it's not what you asked for, negotiate a price reduction for the exhaust that's not what you asked for either, and then box up the ECU yourself and send it to Ivan. Even though he didn't flash it in the first place, I'm sure you'll find that Ivan will be able to resolve all problems with the ECU by either giving it his own flash, or returning it to OEM, whichever you prefer.

Ivan's active on this forum (not the other), but not often. Give him a call, tell him what's happened, and check with him directly. I'm sure he'd be interested in knowing who the dealer is who has ignored your instruction to send him the ECU. And I'm also quite sure he won't penalize you for a problem that they're responsible for entirely.

And per the suggestion over on the Vulcan forum - if you know a lawyer who'd send them a letter, that probably wouldn't hurt.

The one thing I would not do, would be ever take my bike back to that dealer.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 07-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #145

Redjay,

They said something about a pair valve, having to remove it. I don't know why they would have to do that when it's not mentioned as something being needed to be done with an Ivan flash....unless the other guy's flash is not working right for my bike with the exhaust system I had installed

I appreciate your comments

Last edited by Soulshine; 07-20-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #146

Peg,

Yes I'm the same poster. They still have my bike. My ECU was finally sent to Ivan and should be back to them very shortly.

At this point, I'll wait and see and hope that they (the owner/dealership) does the right thing and puts the ECU back in and makes sure that the bike is running correctly (including undoing any changes they made to the bike trying to "fix it" with the other guys flash)...I'll let you know how I make out

and I appreciate your feedback

Old 07-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #147
Top Contributor

As far as I am aware Ivan is the only person offering an alternative to the stock ECU program. I would ask the dealership who the other guy is that supposedly changed your ECU program.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #148

Redjay,

I know who the other ECU provider was, but at this point I am going to refrain from saying anything further until I get my bike back....hopefully the owner/dealership does the right thing and that's the end.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:54 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings,

Just in case the cheap seats haven't heard the cheers for Ivan's ECU magic.
With the most recent flash and a thousand miles of travel, I could not be happier.
MPG's are the best they have ever been. Scoot runs great, it has consistant, dependable, perdictable performance and response.
The bride and I put a couple hundred on yesterday and it was a warm one. Bikes performed beautifully. Even when we got stuck in Galena tourist traffic, the temp, fans and engine response all behaved as expected.

Thank you Ivan. Your time and knowledge are very much appreciated!

For those of you who haven't pulled the trigger yet. are you waiting for?

Yeah, yeah, yeah....... still kicking myself for not getting it done before going up Pikes Peak......... not fun with the glitchy throttle.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #150

Greetings Kopperhed,
Quote:
Pikes Peak......... not fun with the glitchy throttle.
Fun road and 14k feet, ufda. Bet it was a enjoyable adventure otherwise!

Ride safe,
Smokier