Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
I don't think you're a jerk at all. I ran the windscreen all the way up and covered all the gaps and still had issues. I have (2) helmets (NC is a helmet state but I'm ATGATT so it doesn't matter). Both are pretty good lids. I don't know why I'm having issues. Maybe because I'm taller, maybe because I'm "wide", maybe I have just lost some tolerance to buffeting.

I don't necessarily need a stereo and speakers but I DO enjoy tunes. I get into my zone when I'm riding and listening to some good music. That's just me. To each, their own.
Hey, if music makes the experience better for you, then by all means a fairing is your right. I was just confused, I had posted a link where a taller/wider screen could be ordered and you stated you'd rather spend that amount of money on a fairing. I'm partial to an all-glass front, I like to see my front wheel and see more of the road, especially the road directly in front of me - it gives me more of a sense of motion than looking 50ft ahead of me over a huge plastic dashboard, but that's personal subjective opinion. The simplest solution in my opinion for your issue is a 2" taller screen that is made to bolt right up rather than a "universal" fairing that never is.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #62

bear with me this will take a minute but covers several Vulcans and different wind protection 1st hand .1st was 99 1500 classic factory shield with lowers and filler . lots of buffeting went with jurock ordered 2 taller 11/2 wider was like a sale boat . went back and ordered stock height and wider installed soft lower on crash bar perfect ride . 4 years later 2nd 01 1500 nomad new stock height and wider from jurock with stock fork lowers and soft lowers on highway bar . great ride ! had to f with it lol . enter ms fairing which is very light and gave good wind protection while looking good But kind of took the weight off the front end by lifting it . leave it to me f it up some more added hard jtd lowers and by 70 or 80 mph not sure the frt tire was even on the ground . looked at it long and hard and as BA said it Looked better and road the best with wider stock windshield and soft lowers . 3rd 1700 nomad stock windshield with filler and stock fork mount lowers . soft lowers on highway bars . least buffeting came with shield down and filler 1/2 inch above headlight . but still not comfortable . enter reckless fairing . like a different ride the weight and wind control made the frt end lots more stable . enter Kawasaki trunk kit now pushing over 900 pounds but smooth as glass . Moral what works for 1 may not work for the other . Best ride was the last . Best Looks on Nomad in My Opinion Stock Windshield with soft lowers . width made more difference after getting height right for Me . I may still call jurock in the future for a oversized stock windshield for when I want the classic Nomad Look ! . oh yea I still have less than 8k in a 14000 mile 1700 6 speed bike with cruise ivans flash pipes thunder intake etc.

Last edited by vulcanscott; 02-02-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #63

No Animals were Harmed in My Last Post ! But Your Head May Hurt ! From Reading It ! V Scott

Old 02-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #64
Top Contributor

Everyone has their opinions as to what looks best and/or works best. BrokeAss has pipes and "half the Fire & Steel catalog" and prefers a windscreen. Scott prefers the look of a windscreen but has a fairing and pipes.

Other than what I may or may not do w/a windscreen/fairing, I don't really have anything other than Ivans flash. I have no intention of getting louder pipes (I happen to like the sound of the stockers) and I see no reason for ME to get a different intake.

Scott---I have under $6500 in a 8000 mile 1700 6 speed w/cruise and Ivans. :)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #65

Right On Brother

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #66

Hey Chris
Did you ever get this solved?

I was out riding today and thinking about your problem and it occurred to me that I was getting a good bit of buffeting at times. I was getting a lot of cross wind hitting me.It took awhile to figure it out because you can't see it in the trees (winter no leaves) and my leather jacket and full face helmet protect pretty good.

The cross winds were bad enough at times to blow me around some. I hardly ever notice this in summer but winter riding around here is different. When I got home I took my dogs for a walk and changed to a light jacket and I could definitely feel those winds then but still could not see it in the trees. Could this be what you are experiencing?

Old 02-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
No Animals were Harmed in My Last Post ! But Your Head May Hurt ! From Reading It ! V Scott
Good to know, I was almost worried there.

I must say though, the Reckless fairing was a game changer for me on my 2007 1500 Classic. Kept it and road another 8 years after I removed the Memphis shades fat shield. Cut multiple windscreens for it and settled on one that was just right. It made the bike.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 02-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #68
Top Contributor

It could be. I'm not pursuing either a fairing or windscreen any longer. I'll post later.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860