Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #16

Damn you, those look tits. Now I might have to get them. I'm currently running the Cobra Tri-ovals and really like the look and sound, but those black pipes are sweet. Not to mention the performance gains of a full system.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #17

Cant wait, shipped yesturday and tracking number shows them in Phoenix, Hope to have tomorrow, gonna be a long day tomorrow waiting for the UPS guy.....

2012 Voyager / Gone
2006 Vulcan Classic Anniversary Edition / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Old 05-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Voyager View Post
Cant wait, shipped yesturday and tracking number shows them in Phoenix, Hope to have tomorrow, gonna be a long day tomorrow waiting for the UPS guy.....

Who did you order your exhaust from?

Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Damn you, those look tits. Now I might have to get them. I'm currently running the Cobra Tri-ovals and really like the look and sound, but those black pipes are sweet. Not to mention the performance gains of a full system.
I have dynoed a 1700 with the FP true duals and from what I saw there is minimal gains over what you already have. The FP system on this 1700 made LESS power than a 1700 with V&H slip-ons.

The design of the FP system makes more power than the stock exhaust for sure, but it's main "claim to fame" is it's incredible sound, the best I have heard no doubt, and it's looks.
In test riding the skoot after the tuning it did seem to run a bit smoother than other 1700's with just slip-ons.

Don't get the system to replace ur tri-ovals unless you want the looks and sound the FP offers. But I must say the sound is NICE!!

RACNRAY

Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #20

Ray...I am not looking for major performance gains, and I bow to your expertice, when it come to these scoots you are the MASTER, and can explain things in laymans terms so we all can understand them, and I as I am sure many others are very grateful for all of your help and advise.
What I am trying to accomplish is the look and sound as you mentioned, I have had the Tri Ovals for 2 years and have always thought they had kinda of a Blat Blat Blat sound and am looking for a deeper V-Twin rumble, and hope to not have to clean the tips every month like with the Tri Ovals.
I wish you weren't on the other side of the country so you could dyno mine but I do have a local shop that is going to dyno the bike for me when he has time but would you be willing to share the map you have from the one you did??? until I can get it done.
Again Thanks for all you do. it is greatly appreciated.

2012 Voyager / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by AZ Voyager; 05-15-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Voyager View Post
Ray...I am not looking for major performance gains, and I bow to your expertice, when it come to these scoots you are the MASTER, and can explain things in laymans terms so we all can understand them, and I as I am sure many others are very grateful for all of your help and advise.
What I am trying to accomplish is the look and sound as you mentioned, I have had the Tri Ovals for 2 years and have always thought they had kinda of a Blat Blat Blat sound and am looking for a deeper V-Twin rumble, and hope to not have to clean the tips every month like with the Tri Ovals.
I wish you weren't on the other side of the country so you could dyno mine but I do have a local shop that is going to dyno the bike for me when he has time but would you be willing to share the map you have from the one you did??? until I can get it done.
Again Thanks for all you do. it is greatly appreciated.
If you are looking for a deeper v-twin rumble, you won't beat the FP True Duals.
VBA#02576

Old 05-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #22

May 1, I couldn't agree more what an awesome look and sound, got home to a box in the garage, and went to work, about 3 hours later went for a short ride, and WOW!! is all I can say. I thought the Tri-Ovals and the V&H sounded good but these sound AWESOME....could not be happier, and well worth the wait...

2012 Voyager / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Old 05-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #23

AZ Voyager I don't think Ray will share his maps as he considers them proprietary knowledge with all the time and effort he has put into developing them for his customers. It would be great, but not from a business perspective. Just think it would be a great ride to get the bike tuned...lol

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 05-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #24

Couple hundred miles on the new pipes today and Love them, performance and sound are Great....

Oh ya will have to post pics soon of the rear end cleanup

2012 Voyager / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #25

Ok...so after a 3 month wait I finally received my Freedom Performance Black True Duals today. Now the install! But I noticed there are no installation instructions in the box so I need some help. I think I can do most of it, but I am wanting to know if anybody knows the manufacture torque specs for the header bolts? I don't want to strip those!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #26

I've just re-installed my own pipes so can confirm... Manual says:

"Torque - Exhaust Pipe Holder Nuts [C] : 17 N·m (1.7 kgf·m, 12 ft·lb)"

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #27

Thanks Peg, thats exactly what I needed. Hopefully everything else will be fairly straight forward.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #28
Advanced Member

I'd be interested in hearing what kind of performance and mileage effects the FPs have . . . Once you get past the initial "I can't get over the sound of these new pipes" that generally causes excessive wrist action and you settle in to normal riding that is . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 06-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #29

Napom.... I have had the pipes on for almost a month now and still can't stay off the throttle, but I have noticed a 3 to 5 MPG increase depending on how I ride. have been mostly riding in town, with one out of town, and the mileage keeps increasing. and this is with the map from my Tri-Ovals, have not had it tuned yet, so I expcet it will increase even more once that is done. also the bike seems to run a little cooler, hard to tell with the temps here climbing, now days are 100+ and nights around 80, but on cool mornings 70 - 80 the temp never climbs above half unless I get stuck at a long light.
Deffinately NO REGRETS!!!!!

2012 Voyager / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #30
Advanced Member

Thanks! Keep us updated . . . What kind of mileage are you getting? And is that number from the guesstimator or at the pump calculations? Something else for me to think about spending money on . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest