Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
I had the Klock Werkes went to the clearview with the vent, staying with the clearview.
How did you already try and change a shield that was just released?
Thunder air kit
Kawi aux driving light kit
Alpine KTP445U Amp
Polk DB521 speakers
Kury grips with Ray's mod
Chuckster's risers
powder coated crash bars with
Kury black longhorn pegs
KQR backrest
Ipod connector ...
and the list is getting shorter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #17

Just got the shield, took pics, will post later. It is a nice lookin shield, blacked out at the bottom to hide the mounting area. Gotta go n git some fittings for a GSXR1000 turbo we are building, will test it out in a bit.

RACNRAY

Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
How did you already try and change a shield that was just released?
Unlike what some are saying, the Harley Klock Werkes WILL fit the Voyager, I know because that is the one I used for the last two years, if fit and worked fine.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #19

The K/W shield...

My skoot with the 14" Kawi shield...

And with the K/W shield...

I like the way it looks so far...

Unfortuntately it started to pour just as I was gettin ready to go out, gonna have to wait till it stops rainin and dries out...

RACNRAY

Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #20

Hmmm....you could have tested it out in the rain for me too Ray! I wouldn't have minded getting both reports at the same time. I'm real interested in what it does to the wind around the bike. If I decide to go the werks route I think I will wait until the smoke one comes out.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by drof View Post
Hmmm....you could have tested it out in the rain for me too Ray! I wouldn't have minded getting both reports at the same time. I'm real interested in what it does to the wind around the bike. If I decide to go the werks route I think I will wait until the smoke one comes out.

I second that, and with pics.

2010 Voyager on the DARKSIDE
2008 Concours
2005 Classic

Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #22

All the shields I have had have had some kinda compromise(s). The stock shield allowed lotsa air flow and buffetting and the wind noise drowned out the stereo. But looked cool!

The second shield was Kawi's 12". Much better for wind protection and helped the sound out, but the wind hit me at the top of my helmet and caused the "bobble head affect". I next went to Kawi's 14" shield, helped minimize the buffetting, I could ride up to about 70 mph without the wind shutting my face shield. Both these shields hurt the mpg on the hiway, the weight of the shields and the fact that weight was now higher on the skoot took away some of the handling, made the skoot steer a bit heavier. The skoot was susceptable to wind gusts and I could tell how much harder the engine had to work to push the skoot when going into the wind.

This K/W shield has it's pros and cons. The first thing I noticed is how much lighter the skoot is "on it's feet" so to speak. Ease of handling and and that top heavy feel was gone. Nice! I could also feel the skoot accelerating better, I certainly was not pushing that big 14" barn door thru the wind. Felt like I picked up some power!

But out on the hiway it certainly does not protect like the 14". On my errand north I had the wind coming out of the SE behind me. Due to the shield being lower on the sides I detected more wind on my shoulders, not a bother at all. At 50 mph I could feel ALOT more wind on my helmet, and the wind was slamming down my face shield. The skoot seemed to be affected less by wind gusts (we just had a rain storm and the wind was still gusting) and the turbulence from other vehicles. I travel this route very often and by the time I got to my destination the mpg meter(which I had reset) was showing about 2 more mpg. Nice!

Different story on the way back, into that cross wind. Lotsa helmet buffetting and wind noise. I was actually seeing double vision untill I closed my face shield completely(tho it was only one position from fully closed). The skoot was punching a smaller hole thru the wind but I was getting the brunt. The skoot lost less mpg on the way back into the wind than it normally would.

Now this was a short 25 mile ride but these are the differences I noted. If the rain stays away I'll ride tonite and try to get some more miles.

RACNRAY

Old 08-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #23

Nice write-up Ray! Thanks.

Looks like I'm going to pass on this one. I need something that would shield the wind at least like your 14" otherwise my buffeting is unbearable.
VBA #02389
VROC #24810

Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post
Nice write-up Ray! Thanks.

Looks like I'm going to pass on this one. I need something that would shield the wind at least like your 14" otherwise my buffeting is unbearable.
well I am impressed with the clearview, i get a lot less buffeting than I did with the Klock Werkes I had on, mind you it is higher, but then as long as I can see over it. The clearview has a slight curve at the top as well. You can get them in different heights.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #25

Yesterday's ride was with my 3/4 open face HJC that has a shield. Last nites ride was with my half-helmet and glasses. Out on the hiway the wind blast is right in my face, and the wind noise is pretty bad, really couldn't hear the stereo. I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam on a Kawi gel seat. Anyone taller will not be happy I believe.

The 12" and 14" really do protect me from the wind but at a cost to handling, performance and gas mileage. Last nite I was really enjoying the power improvement, the skoot felt so light in it's handling and the mpg was better.

There is a tradeoff in the wind buffetting area...wind gust don't bother th skoot as much as with the taller shields, but I get more of the buffetting myself as much more wind is hitting my shoulders.

For someone (like myself) that is used to the wind protection of the more common replacement shields, this shield does not even come close.

For someone that does little hiway driving this might be ok. I can't find my original shield to make a comparison and I have not had the original on for over 2 years so I can't comment if this shield is even better than the stocker.

I am now wonderin how the type of shield with the slight curve at the top( in a 9" or 10" height) will compare in wind protection compared to the taller 12" &14" Kawi shields. I was NOT expecting such a noticeable improvement in handling by taking that heavy 14" shield off, I kinda got spoiled already!

RACNRAY

Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #26

There is another con with the kw one as well, forget about mounting any pouches behind the shield, not enough room due to the curve.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #27

Thanks for the write up Ray. So far I guess I'm not sold on it. I don't run with the taller shield and I don't intend to. If anyone does have a stock shield and go the the KW flare I'd be very interested in a comparison. I think if you look real hard Ray you can find your stocker! Come on man.....I'm counting on you!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drof View Post
Thanks for the write up Ray. So far I guess I'm not sold on it. I don't run with the taller shield and I don't intend to. If anyone does have a stock shield and go the the KW flare I'd be very interested in a comparison. I think if you look real hard Ray you can find your stocker! Come on man.....I'm counting on you!
Last year I ordered a KW fitted for a street glide I believe, the fit was not quite right but I did install it behind my small stock shield and took it for a spin to see if the height was good. IMO the 8 1/2 inch KW shield made the wind noise and buffeting even worse. Right now I am waiting for a 10 inch Windvest shield to arrive.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCaunuck View Post
Last year I ordered a KW fitted for a street glide I believe, the fit was not quite right but I did install it behind my small stock shield and took it for a spin to see if the height was good. IMO the 8 1/2 inch KW shield made the wind noise and buffeting even worse. Right now I am waiting for a 10 inch Windvest shield to arrive.
I would be very interested in your results with that shield, that is what I am kinda leaning towards.

THANX
RACNRAY

Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #30

I have the 10" Windvest and I am 5'10" and the wind hits me right in the forehead. I had a 16" Kawasaki on it but did not like looking through it. Comparing the Windvest to the 16" stock it is much noisier in my helmet, cannot hear the music very well at highway speeds but lets more air in so on these hot summer. Getting use to it but miss the tunes, tried ear plugs and that helps with the noise in the helmet.
ISO grips with Ray's throttle mod
OEM passenger floorboards
Mustang seat w drivers/passenger backrest
I-Pod adapter
Kruzer Kaddy
Amsoil 10W40
Auxiliary Driving Lights
Michelin Commander II's
Kuryakyn 4575 Longhorn Offset Dually Pegs
Vance and Hines Twin Slash Round Slip ons
EJK Electronic Jet Kit
Chuckster's air Intake System