Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #16

Riding the Rockies

tomm, it is your ride, do it the way you want.
It is your bike, accessorize it the way you want.
Pay no attention to these guys behind the computer screen.
If the wife will be happier trailering part of the way then that's the way to go.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #17

Riding the Rockies

You should have no problem covering the areas you have mentioned. I too have ridden in all the area you are mentioning. You are going to have an AMAZING time!

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 01-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
Mega-Contributor

Riding the Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
If the wife will be happier trailering part of the way then that's the way to go.
Did your wife tell you to type this or something?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Riding the Rockies

Tomm,

I can totally understand the trailering aspect when you have such a robust trip planned for when you get out here. The trip of 2700 miles would suck if the weather was rainy on a bike. The 2700 miles would be something like 6 days on the bike but more like 2 or 3 days in a pickup with 2 drivers.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #20

Riding the Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
No, I am a very considerate husband. ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #21
Mega-Contributor

Riding the Rockies

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

No, I am a very considerate husband. ;)
I'm sure you are.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #22

Riding the Rockies

tomm,
Ive done both the Glacier/Road to The Sun trip and the Beartooth/Yellowstone rides and they are both fantastic rides. You can't go wrong with them!

As for the trailering aspect of things, I'll say right now that my wife does not ride with me, but 35 years of marriage have taught me that a happy wife = a happy life!We took the cage last fall down to East Glacier to meet up with another couple who ride a Nomad. Believe me, I would have much rather been on the Nomad but she wasn't going unless we took the cage. All in all it was a great trip and I have no regret making a compromise to keep her happy.

'Nuff said!

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #23
Top Contributor

Riding the Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Kris; it seems youve travelled some great highways and seen some beautiful sights. Your right in saying thats what the bike is meant for, I didn't plan on saving my bike as a low mileage garage queen either.

And Tomm your bike looks just about perfect for some long distance touring, all you should add is a fairing with a stereo and youll have it made. 500 mile days shouldn't be a problem, Ive done many, and I don't have the nice seats like you do. I agree with Kris that you should leave the trailer at home and just use the bike. Thats part of the experience.
Ring,
I have been fortunate to have ridden some of the finest motorcycle roads our country has to offer for sure....but it never gets old.... . There is nothing quite like coming over a rise and seeing a horizon you have never seen before!

Tomm,
I have ridden the SW states, including southern Californina. I would love to ride the states south of the Mason-Dixon line....SE hillbilly country. You boys going to the National in Maggie Valley should have no problem finding some bona-fide home-grown White Lightning....!!

In thinking about your plan(s)....you could for sure see more country without the truck/trailer simply because there would be no reason to back-track for it. Wherever you leave it....you would have to go back to get it. In the time it takes to go back, you could be in another state or two. It just seems like the trailer would be a ball and chain on your ability to "follow the wind" so to speak.

Your bike is ideally suited for long-haul riding.....and it's a Nomad, so you will have no troubles (AAA just in case ;))! You have the Holy Grail of motorcycle seats for comfort, lots of room for packing and best of all....time to enjoy it. If you're wife is like mine....her idea of a "roughing it"....is one-ply toilet paper....lol.....so camping out equates to a Best Western Hotel.... !

Riding on a gorgeous sunny day with a warm wind and exquisite scenery surrounding you is like being born again. Riding in the rain is no real big deal as long as you have good rain gear....and some hope of coming out the other side of the squall..... !

No matter the riding conditions.....and like a box of chocolates.....you will see it all on a trip like that.....if you are mentally and physically prepared for it....getting to your hotel at a reasonable hour with time to shower, relax, eat and relax some more....will allow you to be fresh and eager for the next day's challenge. The fact that there is usually some tequila and vodka in my trunk to take into the hotel with us is just a coincidence... !

Things start to go south when you try to push too hard or far and don't leave adequate time to replentish your body.....both sleep-wise and nutritionally. Allow time for those things and you should be able to ride that bike coast to coast and enjoy every single minute of it! It will really add to your enjoyment if you have some kind of communication device with your wife. We use the Cardo Team Set.....but there are lots of options on that front.

Trips like this allow my wife and I to bond (code word for good sex) on a far more personal level than we do at home, because on the road....it is her and I against the world, where at home....lots of other distractions and responsiblities get in the way. You guys for sure do whatever you are comfortable doing....it is your trip and not anyone else's.....but really think about leaving the trailer at home and sharing this epic trip in a way both of you will never forget. Just my .02 cents....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #24

Riding the Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman

Tom,

I can tell you this, I have driven most of those roads. Only one I haven't is 149. All of them are very good roads. Another road to look at is after you hit Delta, hop on 65 and drive over the Grand Mesa. Just absolutely amazing. But then, most of those roads are the same.
Hi Waterman - Have you done the ride over Guanella Pass from Georgetown to Grant? I understand it is definitely a must do, but also that it is unpaved and the back side into Grant can be pretty rough. I don't mind a dirt road and a smattering of potholes, but the Nomad isn't a great dirt bike. Any insight?

Also, the ride over the Grand Mesa . . . is that the one that ends at the Moki Dugway? Is it as narrow / sheer as the pictures make it look?
Tom

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #25

Riding the Rockies

Hmmm!!! Lot's to think about. Wife and I just spent the last hour going over all the various comments from everyone. Still leaning towards trailering out and back, but now considering starting and ending in Denver and doing everything else on the bike. Expect they'll be another trip in our future at some point to drive cross-country, and one for the Pacific Northwest too, but this one is 'Riding the Rockies.' So maximizing our time there needs to be part of the plan. Once there however, we need to 'RIDE' the Rockies, not trailer it. Good advice.

Kris - I did some quick calculations and trailering the bike between Missoula, Jackson and Georgetown really doesn't buy much as you say, and could definitely impact any spontaneous changes we might want to make to our agenda. So now thinking of a grand loop starting in Denver, down to Durango, west into Utah and up towards Salt Lake, north towards Boise, Missoula and Whitefish, backs towards Yellowstone and Jackson, and ending in Denver. Kind of leaves the whole trip a little more open-ended from both route and schedule perspectives, and still allows us to see the things we really want to see.

It's kind of a special trip for us. 60th birthday. 30th anniversary. It was supposed to be an Alaskan Cruise. Think we'll save that now for when I'm too old for these long bike trips. Like maybe 90!!!
Tom

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766

Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #26
Top Contributor

Riding the Rockies

There is so much diverse country in every direction from Denver. Using that as a base and doing a big loop from there sounds like a plan that will give you the best of both worlds! BTW....my wife and I did an Alaskan cruise a few years ago....I'd take a bike trip over the cruise every time... .
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #27
Top Contributor

Riding the Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm
Quote:

Tom,

I can tell you this, I have driven most of those roads. Only one I haven't is 149. All of them are very good roads. Another road to look at is after you hit Delta, hop on 65 and drive over the Grand Mesa. Just absolutely amazing. But then, most of those roads are the same.
Hi Waterman - Have you done the ride over Guanella Pass from Georgetown to Grant? I understand it is definitely a must do, but also that it is unpaved and the back side into Grant can be pretty rough. I don't mind a dirt road and a smattering of potholes, but the Nomad isn't a great dirt bike. Any insight?

Also, the ride over the Grand Mesa . . . is that the one that ends at the Moki Dugway? Is it as narrow / sheer as the pictures make it look?
Tom
Hi Tomm,

The Moki Dugway is in Utah while the Grand Mesa is in Western Colorado just north of Delta and south of I-70. Right now I am getting ready to hit the road in 30 minutes but when I get back later I will map it out and show you the road.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #28
Top Contributor

Riding the Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm
Hmmm!!! Lot's to think about. Wife and I just spent the last hour going over all the various comments from everyone. Still leaning towards trailering out and back, but now considering starting and ending in Denver and doing everything else on the bike. Expect they'll be another trip in our future at some point to drive cross-country, and one for the Pacific Northwest too, but this one is 'Riding the Rockies.' So maximizing our time there needs to be part of the plan. Once there however, we need to 'RIDE' the Rockies, not trailer it. Good advice.

Kris - I did some quick calculations and trailering the bike between Missoula, Jackson and Georgetown really doesn't buy much as you say, and could definitely impact any spontaneous changes we might want to make to our agenda. So now thinking of a grand loop starting in Denver, down to Durango, west into Utah and up towards Salt Lake, north towards Boise, Missoula and Whitefish, backs towards Yellowstone and Jackson, and ending in Denver. Kind of leaves the whole trip a little more open-ended from both route and schedule perspectives, and still allows us to see the things we really want to see.

It's kind of a special trip for us. 60th birthday. 30th anniversary. It was supposed to be an Alaskan Cruise. Think we'll save that now for when I'm too old for these long bike trips. Like maybe 90!!!
Tom
Hey Tomm,

If this turns out to be your plan, let me know. I live about 100 miles east of Denver and you could park your trailer here if you wanted to. May even hit a day or two of riding with you if it hits at the right time.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Old 01-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #29
Top Contributor

Riding the Rockies

Tomm,

Here is the map to go over Grand Mesa. It is just outside of Delta, CO.

Here are some pictures from the top of Grand Mesa.

VBA 213
VROC 16913

Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #30

Riding the Rockies

Quote:

Hey Tomm,

If this turns out to be your plan, let me know. I live about 100 miles east of Denver and you could park your trailer here if you wanted to. May even hit a day or two of riding with you if it hits at the right time.
Hi Waterman,
That would work out great, both the trailer parking and joining us for a day or two. I will PM once we get things finalized and the day gets closer.

Also, checked out the Grand Mesa and it looks like a great addition to the ride. Should fit in very well too as part of the route from Durango to Missoula.
Tom

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766