Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthWest Group

Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Hells Canyon

Brian and I are headed to the Hells Canyon area at the end of June, first of July, for a few days. Any info on roads that need to be ridden, camping for a big rig, good food, etc. would be appreciated.

CC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Hells Canyon

CC,
All the area around Hell's Canyon makes for great riding. I emailed you a ride plan of a road Tricia and I rode last year through the Rec Area. It is the Wallawa Mt Rd. (FS 39). It is about 50 miles through total wilderness and is paved the entire way, but small, twisty and full of critters...so take it easy! Lots of elk and deer around....so no more than about 30 mph for most of it!

We started in Enterprise, rode through Joseph, then headed south to 86 on the Wallawa Mt Rd. That is one spectacular ride! We then went east over Oxbow Dam, south on 71 to Cambridge, then north on 95 to Grangeville. That was some great riding.

At Oxbow Dam...you can ride a 22 mile dead-end right up Hells Canyon to Hells Canyon Dam. It is a major highlight and twisty. I wish I had ridden it while I was there, but we were pressed for time as we were heading to Orofino, ID.

Hwy 13 from Grangeville to Kooskia was spectacular along the South Fork of the Clearwater River....although not in the Hells Canyon area per se....but if you ride down through Lolo Pass enroute (which I assume you will)....you can take it heading from Kooskia to Grangeville on your way to HC!

All of Hwy 86 from Oxbow Dam to Baker City is a great ride. There are not a lot of options right around Hells Canyon itself, but there are some great roads west of Baker City as well.

That's about all I know. We blazed through there at a pretty fair clip as we only had 3 days from Everett to HC and home again, but it was a fantastic ride for sure. If you can fit FS 39 into your ride plan....you will be in awe at the switchbacks and elevation changes. There is also a lookout point along there worth stopping at. It is well marked and about 1 mile off the main road. That lookout point is the location for my bottom right sig pic!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Hells Canyon

Thanks Kris. I think I've found a campground in Joseph which looks to be close to the center of the whole area for sightseeing so your info is good.

CC

Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Hells Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat
Thanks Kris. I think I've found a campground in Joseph which looks to be close to the center of the whole area for sightseeing so your info is good.

CC
Enterprise and Joseph are surprisingly small and remote as they lie in a valley surrounded by mountains. There are very few people out that way and as you leave Joseph headed for Wallawa Mt Rd.....you will sense that in a hurry! However, once you reach the Snake River and the dams....there will be people everywhere!

WA 129 heading south from Clarkston/Asotin looks tasty too. It turns into OR 3 and runs south to Enterprise. That would be a road to think about on your way down or back as well.... !

Have fun!
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Hells Canyon

Take liquids that time of year, it's great riding, but they call it hells canyon for a reason. It will be hottttt, like the asphalt is on fire under you I went through there in august of last year and you could cook breakfast on the sidewalk.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Hells Canyon

We were near there 3 years ago on our last riding trip and the temps hit 121 by 1:00 in the afternoon. We found a motel and stopped for the day thinking we would get up real early the next morning and head out in the cool. 5:30 next morning, the temp was 86 and by 9:00 had climbed back to 100. We headed north and the temps cooled off a bit for the rest of the trip but that 121 was vicious especially when we hit the new, nice black pavement.

Ah yes, what we will ride in to have fun.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Hells Canyon

So Kris, you've ridden through Joseph and Enterprise. Is the road good? We have a 35 foot toy hauler hooked onto the back of the truck so we're a bit over 51 feet. Would there be any problem pulling the trailer to Joseph? Of course the campground people are going to say no problem because they want the reservation.

For an example of what I'm talking about. We went into Yosemite 2 years ago with the trailer. After making this helacious climb at the start of the park (doesn't show that on Streets and Trips), we got to the gate, and were told there would be no problem pulling the trailer through to the other side. A lesser driver than my husband, would have probably gone over the side, which was a long ways down in some places, but we made it through with no problems. Very narrow road, lots of traffic in both lanes, tight turns, no place to park or turn around, and at one point some guy with a truck and camper coming towards us in our lane. Brian missed him by inches when the idiot realized he was in the wrong lane with something a lot bigger coming toward him and moved over.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Hells Canyon

Quote:
So Kris, you've ridden through Joseph and Enterprise. Is the road good? We have a 35 foot toy hauler hooked onto the back of the truck so we're a bit over 51 feet. Would there be any problem pulling the trailer to Joseph? Of course the campground people are going to say no problem because they want the reservation.

For an example of what I'm talking about. We went into Yosemite 2 years ago with the trailer. After making this helacious climb at the start of the park (doesn't show that on Streets and Trips), we got to the gate, and were told there would be no problem pulling the trailer through to the other side. A lesser driver than my husband, would have probably gone over the side, which was a long ways down in some places, but we made it through with no problems. Very narrow road, lots of traffic in both lanes, tight turns, no place to park or turn around, and at one point some guy with a truck and camper coming towards us in our lane. Brian missed him by inches when the idiot realized he was in the wrong lane with something a lot bigger coming toward him and moved over.
Sorry CC for the delay in my reply....thought this was an older post. The roads to/through Enterprise and Joseph will give you no trouble pulling your trailer. They are easy traveling up to that point....but don't try pulling your trailer over Wallawa Mt Rd.... ...save that for the bikes!!

VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Hells Canyon

Thanks Kris. I have just gotten that info from another forum member and we have decided to stay at a different campground than the one I booked. I also pulled Streets and Trips up as close as I can and can see how winding the road is so we will avoid that road for sure.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #10

Hells Canyon

I wouldn't take Rattlesnake Canyon either (Oregon 3 I believe, from the north), as it is pretty twisty for something 51' long.

I am going to be down there myself from the 8-11th of July. A Volusia Riders Western Rally (another bike site that I belong to). It's a great area for bike riding.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Hells Canyon

We've pretty much ruled out the small roads and will stick to the Interstates and major highways and ride the rest on the Nomads. It looks like Baker City will be where we park the trailer.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #12

Hells Canyon

Quote:
We've pretty much ruled out the small roads and will stick to the Interstates and major highways and ride the rest on the Nomads. It looks like Baker City will be where we park the trailer.
CC--For a GREAT place to eat in Baker City, go to the Geiser Grand Hotel in downtown Baker City. It's a historic old hotel and is very classy, and they serve very good food in the restaurant there. For a fun ride, if you like twisty roads, go west of Baker 8 miles and take the road over Dooley Mtn. to Unity. The lady at the store in Unity told us that that road has 175 curves in 18 miles! Loads of fun and tests your skills, too. Also, the road to Austin Jct. is great--lots of nice high speed sweepers and good pavement. You can also detour a couple miles off the main road and visit the small town of Sumpter and have lunch there if the reataurant is still open. Lots of good riding in that area.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Hells Canyon

Thanks for the info everyone. We are really looking forward to riding the area around Hells Canyon. We're thinking of spending 3 or 4 days there and then thinking of heading into Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone for another 3 or 4 days. Anyone have any info on road conditions in the parks? We were thru Yellowstone a few years ago with a truck and camper and were not impressed with the road we chose to drive; from what we can remember, it would not be good pulling the toy hauler down that road. Any suggestions?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #14

Hells Canyon

Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone. We are really looking forward to riding the area around Hells Canyon. We're thinking of spending 3 or 4 days there and then thinking of heading into Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone for another 3 or 4 days. Anyone have any info on road conditions in the parks? We were thru Yellowstone a few years ago with a truck and camper and were not impressed with the road we chose to drive; from what we can remember, it would not be good pulling the toy hauler down that road. Any suggestions?
CC, we were in Yellowstone National Park in August 2009 and had to cancel Teton National Park due to road construction, I'd check with other members for an update or phone park officials.

Another great place to eat in Baker City is Barley Brown's Brew Pub. Mad Matilda's is good for breakfast and they had free Internet. Both places are on the main drag.

Cheers,

Elvis

Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Hells Canyon

cc if your going that far east and it fits your schedule at all, I would recommend you cross bearthooth pass ,if you have not before .It is one of the most beutiful rides